Your question

My first build and Windows 98??

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
October 17, 2007 10:09:13 PM

I took a deep breath last night and ordered my parts for my first build after days of agonizing over each piece - now I'm panicking. Take a peek, please, and let me know if I did alright. I want a mid-range solid system for lots of internet, home video and photo editing, some light gaming - but gave up the hard core stuff years ago b/c it's too da*n expensive to keep it up. I just want a good system I can upgrade when I feel like it - and hope that all the pieces I chose will talk to each other nicely. (Who am I kidding? OC would be fun but first I need to get the thing built).

One more question: My last custom built desktop had Windows 98, which I bought the Windows XP upgrade for years back. I was planning to use Windows 98 and then install the XP upgrade (I have no interest in Vista right now). Am I crazy? Should I just buy XP with SP2?

Hope someone can give me their opinion - this building from scratch business is new to me - and my husband is useless at anything electronic. So it's all me... :??: 

Thanks!!

ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6750

Rosewill RD400-2-DB ATX V2.2 400W Power Supply

Rosewill RCR-FD200 All-in-one USB 2.0 Black 3.5" Card Reader with 1.44MB Floppy Drive

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX

Rosewill R5604-BK 0.8mm SECC Screw-less Dual 120mm Fans ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

More about : build windows

October 17, 2007 10:50:04 PM

The only thing that looks suspect is the Rosewill power supply. This brand produces very poor quality power supplies, although most of their other products are fine. A better choice would have been the Corsair 450vx.

I assume you are planning on overclocking, hence the need for the Freezer 7 Pro. If not, the stock Intel cooler is more than adequate, and runs quietly, unlike it's predecessors.

Its been a while, so I am not absolutely sure, but I think the upgrade version of XP is bootable just like the OEM version. If so, you could boot that and then put the Win 98 disk in when it asks for verification. If XP is not bootable, then you would need a new copy of XP.

You could try to install 98 and then XP on top, but I doubt 98 would even boot on the new hardware. I remember it being finicky even on the hardware of it's time.
October 17, 2007 11:05:45 PM

Others know more, but a couple of thoughts:
1) generally looks pretty good
2) if SLI is a possibility (given the SLI MB), power supply might be weak
3) stock cpu cooler probably okay with no overclock

I recently built a new desktop with 680i + e6850 + 2 x BFG 7900GS + Raptor 74GB. To keep things relatively cheap, I chose Antec Sonata III since it includes a decent PSU (EarthWatts 500w) and only cost $100 with MIR at Fry's. With the 2 last generation video cards and an overclock to 3.6 GHz, everything's good, leading me to believe the Sonata w/ 500w was a reasonable choice. I didn't get much improvement when I went with a Freezer 7 Pro, and I finally put a Zalman 9700 on the CPU, which did dramatically improve temps.
Related resources
October 18, 2007 12:04:09 AM

Thanks tlmck and kuniskos - I was kind of kicking myself for only getting the 400W power supply - good to know I should probably get something better. Also good to know about Windows 98 - the last thing I need with my first build is a finicky OS. I'll check on the XP upgrade CD and see if I need to spring for the full version or not.

I'd like to play with overclocking - read the mobo and processor are good and stable for that - hence the extra cpu cooler - but first priority is to try and get this thing together and running! Well, maybe getting the parts delivered to my house first...

October 18, 2007 12:36:34 AM

Why don't you stick with WinXP and just do a fresh install with it ?... ( you can do a fresh install with an upgrade cd so long as you have a full copy of a previous OS..... That way you wont have to deal with upgrade hassles... As for your Rosewill PSU .... I'd definitely get something else...Those guys aren't well know for long term reliability....
October 18, 2007 12:58:13 AM

XP is the way to go. Forget the 8600 and get a better performing card like a 7900GT or 7950GT. 400w should be enough for either of those. Also forget about SLI and get a P35 mobo.
October 18, 2007 1:44:15 AM

Nhobo is right.

Your OS plan is sound enough. I ran a machine for 3 years that way.

Corsair make pretty good power supplies, but be aware that their HX series aren't very quiet.

As for case, why not get an Antec? It's not screwless I'll grant you but Antec make good cases. Plenty of people have them :) 
October 18, 2007 1:54:48 AM

Great tips - I'll definitely try the XP install and hope that it works with simply the verification of the W98 disc.

Think 500W PSU would be okay? Are there any brands known to be good?

SLI - honestly wasn't even on my radar - and I defo don't need it. Live and learn...

Wish I'd found this site sooner...
:) 
October 18, 2007 1:57:57 AM

Oh - Authoratah (love the name - LOL)

Thx for the Corsair suggestion and case-wise, that was one of my biggest confusions. Prices can run so high and reviews all over the place. I picked Rosewill based on lowish price and the reviews on NewEgg. I did see that Antec are well rated - but they're $$$. I guess I couldn't get my head wrapped around $100+ for a case usually w/o a PSU...
October 18, 2007 2:04:24 AM

authoratah said:
Corsair make pretty good power supplies, but be aware that their HX series aren't very quiet.

Corsair don't make PSUs, Seasonic make them and Corsair rebrand them. Seasonic are some of the best in the industry. And how are they not quiet? I can hardly hear my HX-520 with my ear next to it coz the fan spins so slow. Granted my x1950 pro has a fan so noisy I can hear it in another room.

@Freber: I am using XP Home upgrade and I just stick in my windows ME disc (first time I installed XP) and it verifies off that, no probs at all, it just tells you to swap the disc again once it's done. If you already have an XP install on there, it will probably verify that instead, like it did for me. Then you just reformat using the tools available in the windows setup.
October 18, 2007 2:55:51 AM

Someone correct me if wrong, But with new motherboards isn't Service pack 2 required. Freber - Does your WinXP disk include SP2. If Not you can create a WinXp w/SP2 by slipsteaming it.

Concur with others on getting a better PSU.
October 18, 2007 2:59:50 AM

randomizer said:
Someone correct me if wrong, But with new motherboards isn't Service pack 2 required. Freber - Does your WinXP disk include SP2. If Not you can create a WinXp w/SP2 by slipsteaming it.

I don't have SP2. What is slipsteaming and how do I do it??
October 18, 2007 3:12:55 AM

Have not done it myself, was going to for my latest system build; however, my son bought my XP bussiness w/ free upgrade to vista - Have both, but perfer XP.

Any way you can google "Slipstream XP" and read up on it and explanation on procedure.

Here is one:
www.maximumpc.com/2005/01/how_to_slipstre.html
October 18, 2007 3:27:39 AM

For the PSU I would recommend PSU's from Fortron Source/Sparkle(same company), SeaSonic, PC Power and Cooling/OCZ(same company), or power supplies based of the previous companies. But other then that I recommend the PSU to have an 80% or higher efficiency.

Other then that everything else seems fine.
October 18, 2007 3:32:26 AM

Actually to be precise it is SP1 which will be required for the harddrive to be seen completely... But that can be fixed at a later time. Or if you have a friend that has a computer with 2GB+ of free space and a DVD/CD burner have them install Nlite and then from their use your windows XP disk to slipstream SP2 (Network addition on Windows web site google XP SP2) and that will solve that problem you could also slipstream your new motherboards network drivers too. :) 

NOTE: DO NOT SLIPSTREAM VIDEO/SOUND DRIVERS!!! Network and SMbus are fine..
October 18, 2007 3:38:13 AM

I'm with everyone else, power supply's definitely an issue. caqde has a pretty good list, but you can add Silverstone, Antec, and Thermaltake to the list. Antec's and Thermaltake's more expensive psu's are good, but their cheap ones tend to be just that--cheap. The 8600GT should be more than enough if you just do light gaming. No need getting anything else for that unless it's something you spend a lot of time on.

There isn't an SP2 requirement for new hardware. My XP disc only includes SP1, and if I wanted to, I could just run off that, and my setup's only a year old. You should be in good shape (well, aside from the PSU).
October 18, 2007 3:46:03 AM

the after browsing over your initial post, what stuck out as possibly being a problem, is using a dual core cpu with win98, because multiple cores arent supported. you may run into an unnecessary amount of issues if you go with anything older than win2000, or at least non nt based (not sure if the same applies to winnt though)
October 18, 2007 3:49:57 AM

That's why he is upgrading to XP (literally upgrading).
October 18, 2007 4:11:28 AM

Randomizer
I believe you may have the gender incorrect
... and my husband is useless at anything electronic. So it's all me...
End Quote

But what can I say, You give good advice
October 18, 2007 4:34:13 AM

He he, I am sexist I guess :lol: 
October 18, 2007 5:35:48 AM

@ RetiredChief - I installed OEM XP SP1 on a P35 DQ6 and was able to download SP2 etc. no problem. I heard, unconfirmed, that you can't slipstream OEM or upgrade copies of XP.

@Freber - Much of this has been covered already, just my two cents. Most importantly DO NOT use that Rosewill PSU. It is tier 5 with a "Not Recommended" warning. Check here Official XS Tiered PSU Manufacturer Brand Listing Phase III. The Corsair VX450 or HX520 are good single rail PSUs, even though the HX520 is marked as multi rail.

If you are going to get an aftermarket heatsink, get one that does not use the same abysmal mounting pins that the stock HS uses. Get one with a back plate. If you do use the stock HS then install it on the mobo outside of the case to ensure that the pins lock in place. Check temps carefully to ensure that they are not too hot from poor mounting etc. Use Core temp etc. Here is a guide courtesy of CompuTronix Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide.

Unless you are going to run VGAs in SLI (dual cards) get an inexpensive P35 mobo, you will have better future CPU compatability, and IMO easier overclocking (I'm sure many would argue that point). The P35 is Intel's current chipset.

October 18, 2007 5:55:20 PM

Alright - so definitely a new PSU - that seems to be unanimous. Corsair or SeaSonic or other reputable brand. And the 80% efficiency tip is a great one too.

I may have to do the XP slipstreaming with SP2 - will play around with that and see if I can get a disc burnt.

For the mobo - I don't need the SLI but now that it's ordered, is there a point to get a P35 instead? From what I can see, they're not any cheaper than the one I ordered, and it supposedly will fit any processor Intel currently has on the market???

I think I initially came up with that board/chip/video card combo based on a beefyish office PC on Velocity Micro's website. The board was also on a top 10 mobo list somewhere online....can't remember where I saw that.

Oh yes, and I am a 'she' - as Retired Chief noticed. That's ok, Randomizer, I don't imagine there are many women lurking on these boards... ;) 
October 18, 2007 6:21:01 PM

Both will fit the processors.

Advantages of P35:

Intel said that the P35 and G33 chipsets will support the new 45nm Penryn processors, which are still on track for release late this year.
Intel has tuned the P35 memory controller to support both DDR2 and DDR3 memory, allowing motherboard makers to ship products that can support either DDR2 or DDR3.
In addition to supporting DDR3, the MCH has been architected for more efficient main memory access and lower latencies.
October 18, 2007 6:47:17 PM

as evongugg said,go in for the p35 chipset based motherboards and try getting some cash from somewhere and get urself a 8800gts 320mb(if u play games) if u dont play much then a 8600gt will do.dont get urself a 8600gts its an overclocked 8600gt(literally)
as for the psu-an antec 550watts should do if u get a 8800gts 320mb or a corsair/antec 450watts psu will suffice for a 8600gt and the rest of ur rig.
if overclocking isnt wht u want to do then get avoid getting the p5n-sli board,the artic silver cooler and splurge it on the 8800gts 320mb card.also if u can save a bit of cash and get a pair of 1gb x2 kingston ddr2 800mhz or corsair valueselect sticks of ram u could save some cash for the video card.ur performance will take a hit but i guess its worth it when u have a good video card.
October 18, 2007 7:29:30 PM

I know its already been posted but I just wanted to say that Rosewill should not be allowed to sell PSUs.

Also, I wish everyone would just give up on SLI already, or nvidia fix the drivers for it.
October 18, 2007 7:50:48 PM

Slip-streaming SP's:

http://www.nliteos.com/

nLite works great...I have used it and it includes several different tweaks, settings and other goodies for OS'es. Everything from incorportating your XP key, allowing up to 1000+ concurrent users, and other cool settings. It creates an ISO for a bootable disc.

Enjoy.
October 18, 2007 9:52:37 PM

Thanks Rubix - will have to try nLite...

evongugg - Asus says the P5NE mobo will support 45nm - it's supposedly based on the P35 chipset: http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=14...

Sunny - Much as it's tempting to get a *nice* video card, I really don't need it - the 8600GT is fine for my use. I pretty much just stick to console games these days when I actually have time to play. Sigh.

:) 
October 19, 2007 6:48:15 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Slip-streaming SP's:

http://www.nliteos.com/

nLite works great...I have used it and it includes several different tweaks, settings and other goodies for OS'es. Everything from incorportating your XP key, allowing up to 1000+ concurrent users, and other cool settings. It creates an ISO for a bootable disc.

Enjoy.
I don't see any mention of not being able to slip stream OEM or upgrade copies. Maybe you can.
October 20, 2007 1:28:25 AM

randomizer said:
Corsair don't make PSUs, Seasonic make them and Corsair rebrand them. Seasonic are some of the best in the industry. And how are they not quiet? I can hardly hear my HX-520 with my ear next to it coz the fan spins so slow. Granted my x1950 pro has a fan so noisy I can hear it in another room.

Agreed, GPU fans are usually noisy. Good thing you can get heatsinks for them nowadays, e.g. Thermalright HR03

Gigabyte do a few GPU heatsinks too, but I've heard little about them.

Try putting any power supply into a Thermaltake Xaser III case and tell me it isn't noisy :whistle:  Execpt those silent ones of course, those don't count.
I mean I flipped mine (HX 520) over so now it hasn't got any screws holding it in at all: the ultimate in screwless design you might say but not entirely safe.

I'm surprised Rosewill can get away with it. PSU manufacturer specifications are so tight these days that it's hard to pass off a dud.
October 20, 2007 2:13:21 AM

Rosewill PSUs are fine for low to low-midrange systems because the components aren't being stressed (unless you buy a 350W or something), but I certainly wouldn't use one in a power-hungry gaming rig. To be honest the Rosewill would probably run his system fine if it was a more powerful unit, but if he can afford to, it would be better to buy something better. Even an FSP unit would be a better choice. My recommendation for a cheap but better quality unit is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The fact that the Rosewill only has 13A/14A 12V rails means it is unlikely to put out much power on the combined rails, but since they don't list how much power the 12V rails can provide (yet the leave a space for it?), there is no accurate way of telling. The FSP has two 17A (or 18A can't remember) rails, with a combined amperage of 29A (348W).
October 20, 2007 2:32:22 AM

Power supply only concern I see as well.....
MUST get a better power supply, you mention an interest in overclocking!
October 20, 2007 6:10:43 AM

You may be interested to note that the HX 520 and HX 450 both have the same ratings for their 12V rails, 18A across the board. The difference is that the 450 puts out less 5V power.

Post up your pre-purchase list for critique ;) 
October 20, 2007 7:22:30 AM

authoratah said:
You may be interested to note that the HX 520 and HX 450 both have the same ratings for their 12V rails, 18A across the board. The difference is that the 450 puts out less 5V power.

Post up your pre-purchase list for critique ;) 

If you read the OP message, SHE says that she has already ordered the parts listed and was wondering if there was something that needed changes. She also mentioned later that she was probably going to get a different PSU and asked for suggestions. Here are my suggestions for some PSU's:

PSU - $48 shipped Best budget PSU w/good amps on 12V rails and 1 PCI-e connector. >70% efficiency not too bad.
FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX400-PN ATX12V 400W Power Supply 120/220 - 240v NEMKO, TUV, CSA, IEC, UL, CE – Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...

8800gtx on 380w Antec PSU! Added this link so you could see what a QUALITY PSU can do, it's also efficient!
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1452/

PSU - $49 shipped! $39 w/Google checkout! Can power 8800gtx /e6600! See link above for proof!
Antec Earthwatt 380W P/Satx 12V v.2.2 80MM P/S2 Fan 80-Plus Certified - EA380
http://www.buy.com/prod/antec-earthwatt-380w-p-satx-12v...

If you a little more $ to spend than these options would be better:

Corsair 450w review
http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=125

PSU - $76 shipped - $10 MIR = $66! Can run a single 8800gtx system easily!
CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W Active Power Supply Retail ***Free Shipping***
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

PSU - $100 shipped - $10 for google checkout = $90! Good solid PSU for the $, hard to beat.
Corsair 520W SLI Certified Modular ATX Power Supply - CMPSU-520HX
http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-520w-sli-certified-modu...

PSU - ~$125 shipped Good solid PSU, straight from OEM and cheaper than Newegg
ULTRA-QUIET PSU: SILENCER® 610 EPS12V
http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S6...

So there you have my recommendations for a QUALITY PSU. I hopefully gave you enough links, so you can make an informed decision on what you want to do.

October 21, 2007 4:26:35 AM

Hey guys -
Thanks for keeping up with my first build!

Yeah, I know, I asked opinions *after* I ordered the parts - it was only because I happened upon this forum after I did the ordering. Next time I'd defo ask ahead of time.

Anyway, everyone can rest assured knowing that I ordered a Corsair 520HX PSU...can't wait until it gets here (thanks lunyone and everyone else who made suggestions).

The rest of my parts arrived yesterday and I finally had time to put it together this evening. Success so far (and yes, I'm using the evil Rosewill PSU in the meantime). The only frustration so far is that I had to pull the CD-ROM out of our 2000 vintage PC b/c the one I bought has a SATA connection, as does the HD, but turns out that the '2' SATA connectors on the Rosewill PSU are on the same line and about 4 inches apart (too close to use both for HD and DVD burner...bummer). The Corsair reportedly has 4 SATA connections - which I assume means 2 with 2 connectors on 2 lines, if that makes sense.

Oh yeah, and it turns out my XP disc does have SP2 and it only verified the existence of the Win98 disc. So here is hoping...setup has been formatting for the last while - hopefully my luck (er...skill?) will hold.

This is so exciting!

Now for the next hurdle - getting drivers installed and hopefully getting the OS and hardware all working properly...
October 21, 2007 7:45:04 AM

Glad to hear things are working out for you. Come back and let us know how the rest of the build works out for you. We like to help and understand the excitement related to building computers!!!
October 22, 2007 5:35:18 PM

Kudos
October 23, 2007 10:41:21 PM

Just a quick update - everything went so smoothly it is almost scary. Got the Corsair PSU yesterday and swapped out Rosewill. Only beefs - the card reader cord wouldn't reach the appropriate part of the motherboard and the DVD burner sounds like a jet engine when reading discs. Oh and I am sorely tempted to get a couple of quieter fans for the case.

I can see that this gets dangerous fast - I have half an eye on Newegg to see how I can modify it.

But all's well - thanks for the advice and help!
October 23, 2007 10:54:52 PM

Thanks for the update. Always good to know how things worked out. I'll look at your case when I have time, in order to see how its built. Never had a really noisey DVD burner from Liteon. I'm wondering if it's the case. If the case is cheaply made and the DVD isn't tight in place you can get more noise. Not sure that is your case, but I've noticed this before on a build and found out that it had both situations, semi loose in case and also a cheaply made case. You might want to double check that your DVD burner is securely in place. If you used 4 screws to hold it in, just double check them.
October 24, 2007 12:38:56 AM

Nope it's the Lite-on. They are just noisy. Good steady performers though. Even the quietest drives can get a little noisy if you get a slightly wonky disk in there. I use Sony/NEC Optiarc myself. Not the fastest or the noisiest. Just about the middle.

Good to hear things went smoothly otherwise.
October 31, 2007 11:25:20 PM

Uh oh. I got trouble. Up until yesterday everything appeared fine. Today the system does this strange 'blinking' on the DOS screen that appears after the ASUS screen disappears (ie. before windows loads). Then it would not load windows until I ran it in Safe Mode and restored it to yesterday.

The strange blinking is still occuring during start-up and when I run the Asus program that looks at voltages etc. the vcore keeps bouncing from 1.04 to 1.25 occasionally (which makes it give a warning).

Does anyone have any idea where I should start to troubleshoot this? Does it sound like a processor issue or a mobo issue? I did a virus scan to be sure and it was clean - but I really suspect the hardware b/c of that strange blinking.

Any help would be appreciate!!
October 31, 2007 11:43:47 PM

I think there is a BIOS setting to turn off the Cool-n-Quiet feature (its different on Intel systems, but I can't remember what it's called). This might stabalize the voltages, but not sure that is the problem. This CnQ feature on AMD mobo's allow the CPU to throttle down to a slower speed when idle, so you save $ on your electricity bill and also to keep temperatures down when not in use. As I'm typing this I think the Intel version is called Speed Stepping, but not 100% sure on that. Now there are several things that can cause this voltage drifting and trying to troubleshoot it will take some time.
Did you OC anything recently or are you running stock settings on everything? There is a possiblility that the PSU isn't giving you a steady supply of voltage to your CPU. Now you might want to check all of your connections from your PSU, in order to eliminate simple things. I'd definately double check the 4 pin CPU connector on the mobo, which should be close to the CPU. Maybe you just have a intermittant connection and this is causing your issues. Another thing is that you could reduce the load on your PSU by disconnecting everything except 1 stick of DDR2, GPU, HD and see if anything changes. This might give you some insight into other issues.
November 1, 2007 12:25:04 AM

tlmck said:
The only thing that looks suspect is the Rosewill power supply. This brand produces very poor quality power supplies, although most of their other products are fine. A better choice would have been the Corsair 450vx.

I assume you are planning on overclocking, hence the need for the Freezer 7 Pro. If not, the stock Intel cooler is more than adequate, and runs quietly, unlike it's predecessors.

Its been a while, so I am not absolutely sure, but I think the upgrade version of XP is bootable just like the OEM version. If so, you could boot that and then put the Win 98 disk in when it asks for verification. If XP is not bootable, then you would need a new copy of XP.

You could try to install 98 and then XP on top, but I doubt 98 would even boot on the new hardware. I remember it being finicky even on the hardware of it's time.
I have a rosewill 600 watt psu, its runs reliably and quiet, I have a x2 5600 2x dvd burners, 3x hard drives ,a tv tuner, and a 7600gt, it runs things fine so far(about a year and a half), HOWEVER
November 1, 2007 12:27:22 AM

tlmck said:

I have a rosewill 600 watt psu, its runs reliably and quiet, I have a x2 5600 2x dvd burners, 3x hard drives ,a tv tuner, and a 7600gt, it runs things fine so far(about a year and a half), HOWEVER, I am always on pins and needles wondering if this thinga is as bad as people say, if i were you i would go with thermaltake,ocz, or some major brand(i won recommend antec because i never had one that lasted over six months)
November 1, 2007 1:03:54 AM

Thanks lunyone - I'll fool around with that tomorrow and see if it helps. That speed step thing or whatever is something that I did enable in the BIOS. And yes, I must move my 5000lb computer out from under the desk, open it up and check the connections too.

But it seemed okay until last night. I haven't loaded anything on the computer since the week-end so it doesn't seem like an obvious software issue. I've seen the blue screen of death twice tonight so far when I actually do get Windows going. It dies so quickly that I can't see what it's saying for an error message. But I read you can pull up a log of the death screens somewhere...

Sucks.

In other news...I did swap out the Rosewill PSU about a week ago, but it was okay while I had it in...

Oh yeah, also I haven't played with anything re: overclocking - so it's all stock, lock and barrel. Er...lock, stock and barrel?? Whatever.
November 1, 2007 3:22:34 AM

So you did try it with the Rosewill PSU? If your problem persists, you can put the Rosewill back in and see if your problems go away. If they do, than you have a PSU that has issues and you can get it RMA'd, since I'm sure it's still under most 30 day money day back warranty. Otherwise you might have a CPU/mobo/RAM issue, probably in order of possibility.
!