HELP! New build powers on for only 1 second!

Count Zero

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
I just finished (finally) building a completely new machine.
Mobo- NVIDIA nForce 680i
CPU- Intel q6600
RAM 4 gigs of patriot ddr2 800
AND a Radeon 2900 Pro GPU

The only old component is my Antec 550W power supply, which worked fine on my old machine.

I have a little blue light on on the Mobo. When I hit power, all the LEDs turn on, fans start whirring, the works...for a grand total of one second. Then It all goes off again except that littleblue mobo LED.

What could be going on?!?!

(I already tried pulling all but one RAM stick, didn't help. Tried it with DVD drive and HDD plugged and unplugged. About to try it without the GPU. Beyond that, I am out of ideas)

All parts are brand new, arrived today newegg. Used Arctic silver thermal paste, but this was my first time installing a CPU heatsink.

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001

Sometimes there is a specific "CPU FanHeader" on the MB that the BIOS looks for when doing a start test. You might also recheck those MB standoffs to make sure nothing is shorting....good luck

kuniskos

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
If it were me, I'd double-check the whole CPU/Heatsink/Fan installation, though it means a full disassembly. The stock Intel HSF is a little tricky, as is getting the thermal compound right. I'm not assuming anything one way or the other (you probably know more than I do), but I'd make sure the CPU, HSF & thermal compound were exactly right.

Count Zero

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
Thanks for the quick replies. I have tried to boot the MOBO standalone, with only a RAM stick on it, and nothing else attached to the PSU. still no luck. I am going to pull off the Mobo, and make sure there are no risers causing a short (something i saw on other topics). Barring that, I will redo the CPU Fan assembly. But I have no thermal paste remover as of now, so...don't know what I'll do if that is needed.

What is this CPU fan header?

And why would it still power on for a second or so?

tlmck

Distinguished
You can use ordinary household alcohol to clean the old paste, although 99% pure is preferred.

It is up long enough to give any beep codes from the speaker?

Count Zero

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
No beep codes, No LED codes. Just two lines like - - on the LED code plate. I was told a immediate beep means a memory error, so I am working on the assumption that's not it. Starting to pull my mobo out now. Additional ideas welscome though

Matthew_1996

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
Count zero could u explain in simple words what did u do to get it working i have the same issue with my new power supply thansk