How do you jump this old PSU (see pic)?

zooairz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Dear all,

I would like to use this old PSU to test fans and other junk.

Does any one know which wires to connect to jump it?

Just in case, the wires, from left to right:
Rd, Rd, Rd, Wht, Blk, Blk Blk, Blk, Blu, Yel, Rd, Ora

oldpsu768x576ss6.jpg

Or is there any other way to turn it on? It has no switch/button on the back.

Thank you,

zoo

jasonf01

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
I agree, this is an old AT-style PSU, it should have another collection of 4 wires leading out of it that go to a double-pole switch on an AT case. Looking at the pic, in your case it would probably be the other bundle of wires out of the PSU rather than the low-voltage wires.

Be careful with this bundle though, I believe in AT PSUs the power switch ran the MAINS side (110-240V). if youre running these outside a case, make sure the wires and switches are properly insulated just in case!

Jas.

zooairz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Sirronbin and Jason,

That is very helpful and I appreciate the input. There are a set of 4 wires coming out of the PSU but I will have to look into that later today, I am at work right now.

I will probably use it out side a case on a desk or something for testing and what not. Thank you for the tip though, no one likes that much voltage running through their body.

If I get fried, I will have my wife send a picture of what's left.

Thanks again,

zoo

zooairz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Jas and Sirronbin,

I got it. It was two plain brown wires that had to be crossed, hence the switch.

The PSU is in fact so old, that the fan in the back had to get going with a pencil. Its a crank style PSU.

Many thanks!

zoo