Sign in with
Your question

First build, ready to order - your thoughts?

Last response: in Systems
October 18, 2007 6:52:00 AM

Hi,

Well, as some of you know :)  I’m about to embark on my first build, and I’d appreciate your thoughts before I order. (Will there be any compatibility issues, have I overlooked anything, or any other comments you might have.)

I want to get:

CPU: Intel Q6600

Motherboard: Abit IP35-E

RAM: KVR800D2N5K2/2G, Kingston value ram, 2 x 1 GB DDR2-800 DUAL

GPU: MSI NX8800GTS-T2D320E-HD-OC (Geforce 8800 GTS 320 MB, factory oc’ed)

HDD: Hitachi Deskstar T7K500, SATA 3Gb/s, 7.200RPM, 16MB cache, 320GB

Optical drive: Samsung SH-S203B

Case: Antec Nine Hindred

PSU: The jury’s still out. I’m leaning heavily towards Corsair 620HX. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that in reality it has a single +12v rail and I can’t seem to wrap my mind around whether this makes it less safe to use than a PSU with multiple +12V rails, such as the Thermaltake Toughpower W0116RU 750W. I’ve had several conflicting opionions presented to me about this and really need a clear answer. (When I say "safe" I mean both in terms of damaging PC components, electrocuting myself, burning down the house, or any other safety issues imaginable - I've asked about this on some other forums as well, but people either don't reply or their response is unrelated to my question.) :( 

Okay, those were the main parts, and I already have the peripherals. So what else do I need?
Maybe a couple of these dust filters. Any thoughts on which ones are better?
Thermal paste or whatever it’s called. Just whatever they have in the nearest shop?
Cables - they should all come with the parts, right? Maybe some extensions or something?

That’s all I can think of. Do I need anything else?

I’m looking forward to your feedback. :) 

October 18, 2007 7:14:03 AM

CPU: Good

Mobo: Good.

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I have this, it is very good, but there is no $40 rebate. Can you provide a newegg link to the exact set you are getting.

GPU: Wait until November for your whole build, I would recommend, because there is no telling what may be good with the release of G92 and RV670. If you must now, purchase an Evga model of the 8800GTS so you have the opportunity to step-up (go to their website for details) should G92 be better.

HDD: Bien tambien.

Optical drive: Look above

Case: Others seem to use it frequently, and it is recommend by others.

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... This is the Corsair? It has 3 +12V rails which is good. You should be fine with it.

You could try this too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More power, more efficient (less money on electrical bills), more +12V rails, more quiet, but slightly more expensive and not modular.

I would recommend getting an aftermarket CPU cooler, because the Intel ones are junk. You don't need to worry about thermal paste if it is pre-applied, as it is on the Intel stock cooler. Here is a good, inexpensive HS and fan that has preapplied grease. I have it, it works well. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You are fine with the cables, the pertinent ones come included with the components/motherboard.

I can't answer dust filters, so you should wait for another reply concerning those.

October 18, 2007 7:42:29 AM

nukchebi0 said:

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... This is the Corsair? It has 3 +12V rails which is good. You should be fine with it.

You could try this too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
That Corsair is a single rail, they lied. It wouldn't surprise me if the Seasonic was too, they make the Corsair.

@Jonesy1499 - You will not get electrocuted by 12V, it's impossible. The chances of having a fire are slim as well. As I said in the other thread, get the single rail just be careful with your build. If your not careful you will likely cost yourself hundreds of dollars in damaged equipment anyway.

Definitely get an aftermarket HS. This is one of the best

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Fan
Related resources
October 18, 2007 8:11:01 AM

i have a PlusView1000AMG from antec and they where popular in the day

they came with front dust filters installed, so i would think the "gamer" version would have it too
October 18, 2007 11:15:10 AM

Jonesy1499 said:
Case: Antec Nine Hindred
PSU: The jury’s still out. I’m leaning heavily towards Corsair 620HX.
Maybe a couple of these dust filters. Any thoughts on which ones are better?
Thermal paste or whatever it’s called. Just whatever they have in the nearest shop?
Cables - they should all come with the parts, right? Maybe some extensions or something?

PSU safety - check for the correct product safety testing marks like the 620HX displays here:

For example the CE product safety mark is whats needed to certify it meets product safety requirements across the European Union community nations. There is nothing inheirently unsafe about single rail +12v PSU that split current up among the several 12v rails advertised. Many of the most respected gaming PSUs are actual single rail PSUs.
Unless you abuse your PSU its no more likely to pose a hazard to you than any other electrical device. Your system will draw (est 280~300watts) no where near the max rated power of the PSU further decreasing the chance of a mishap. From the 620HX online PDF manual:

Cables - not required. The 620HX has slightly longer cables which is a nice feature to have with the bottom PSU position of the Antec 900 case.

Dust filters might reduce the airflow into the case and may require more powerful fans. No need using the filters to start out. If you notice the inside of the case getting unusually dusty/dirty then you can revisit the filter issue.

I like the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro HSF Jonesy1499 suggested. nukchebi0 suggested the best air cooling HS&fan.
Unless you want to consider very agressive overclocking the Ultra-120 Extreme is a lot more than you need to spend.
Another HSF in the same class as the AC Freezer 7Pro is the Cooler Master Hyper TX which you can get for the final price of just $0.99 after rebates. Its a decent cooling, quiet HSF CM Hyper TX 2 review @ Big Bruin
Also check out the ClubIT website for the Corsair 620HX its prices and shipping charges can be lower than some other e-shopping sites.

In another week or two you should start seeing "official" benchmark tests of the soon-to-be released 8800GT/512MB video card. You could end up with a card that has better performance at a lower price.
October 18, 2007 5:05:24 PM

A PSU quality question:

If Seasonic makes Corsair's PSU's, wouldn't a Seasonic of comparable price be better, because it was marked up one less time (Seasonic to Newegg for Seasonic branded, and Seasonic to Corsair to Newegg for the Corsair branded)?
October 19, 2007 1:38:54 AM

nukchebi0 said:
A PSU quality question:

If Seasonic makes Corsair's PSU's, wouldn't a Seasonic of comparable price be better, because it was marked up one less time (Seasonic to Newegg for Seasonic branded, and Seasonic to Corsair to Newegg for the Corsair branded)?
Not necessarily, Seasonic manufactures the PSUs for the OEMs at a discount and then they mark it up to retail. Seasonic makes less on the PSUs that are sold by Corsair, PC Power & Cooling etc.
October 19, 2007 5:08:47 PM

Thanks guys, much appreciated. :) 

Yeah, I guess you’re right about the video cards :/ , but I really don’t want to wait any longer - I’m afraid I’ll never get the build done if I keep postponing. (Done it once already.)

Maybe the sensible thing would be to start off with a cheap video card (like GF8600 or slower) and then upgrade when the new cards have been released (and 8800 GTS prises have likely dropped)? The new ones should be able to run on this setup, right? (I think I read something about one of the new card running on a different interface or something.)

About the PSU thing, it’s possible that I’m focussing a little too much on electrocution and fire and whatnot. (”Obsessing” might be more acurate.) ;)  Like WR2 says, when they’ve been approved by the various agencies you shouldn’t think they could be so unsafe, right?

OTOH, I asked a similar question a few days ago on Xtremesystems and jonnyGURU replied to it saying that he thinks multi rail is safer. From what I understand he’s like ”Mr. PSU”, right? So I dunno... Btw., the thread is here if anyone wants to read it (or comment on it) :D 

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2499990&posted=1#post2499990

Thanks again for your help. :) 
October 21, 2007 12:43:13 AM

Or get an Evga card, so you can step-up. http://evga.com/stepup/default.asp

It isn't possible, it is true you are worrying too much. Get a Power PC or Seasonic and be done with it.

Quote:

Not necessarily, Seasonic manufactures the PSUs for the OEMs at a discount and then they mark it up to retail. Seasonic makes less on the PSUs that are sold by Corsair, PC Power & Cooling etc.

I haven't taken a course in economics, but wouldn't it constitute a better business strategy to deny competitors quality products that you have less of a margin on, and sell more of your own branded products which profit more?
October 21, 2007 1:42:05 AM

I'm sure somebody at Seasonic has taken a course (or more) in economics and worked hard to answer this question. Trust them, they're smart people. :) 

They probably prefer to focus on making PSUs rather than on marketing and selling and support. You can develop great designs with a small bunch of good engineers, but to do all the rest you need an army of salesmen and that needs a different kind of company.
October 21, 2007 3:57:08 AM

Everything on that build looks good. Though you should go with Western Digital or Seagate for your hard drive. Hitachi have given me more problems and people then I have seen from the other two listed.
October 21, 2007 4:07:49 AM

aevm said:
I'm sure somebody at Seasonic has taken a course (or more) in economics and worked hard to answer this question. Trust them, they're smart people. :) 

They probably prefer to focus on making PSUs rather than on marketing and selling and support. You can develop great designs with a small bunch of good engineers, but to do all the rest you need an army of salesmen and that needs a different kind of company.

The only reason I could think of that makes this make sense is that if Seasonic doesn't make the other brands' PSU's, the other brands will make their own eventually and kill Seasonic's (virtual) control of the market. Basically, if Seasonic is making the other competitors' PSU, then the other competitors won't feel the need to become independent, and Seasonic will never really have competition because all PSU's sold will profit them and stay that way.
October 21, 2007 4:18:12 AM

nukchebi0 said:
The only reason I could think of that makes this make sense is that if Seasonic doesn't make the other brands' PSU's, the other brands will make their own eventually and kill Seasonic's (virtual) control of the market. Basically, if Seasonic is making the other competitors' PSU, then the other competitors won't feel the need to become independent, and Seasonic will never really have competition because all PSU's sold will profit them and stay that way.
How about the basic fact that they will sell more PSUs. Do you think they are the only company that sells a product under their own brand name and also OEM them for other companies? It is extremely commonplace and is done in every industry. What Seasonic is doing is the norm, so move along nothing to see here.
October 21, 2007 4:36:08 AM

One of the best PSU's is the PC power&Cooling silencer610. You can get it direct from them for $119.99, which is less than newegg. What is really good, is that you can call them with a technical question and they will transfer you to a tech support person right away. Ask about your concerns, they seem to be a very customer-friendly outfit. http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S6... Let us know what they say.
---good luck---
October 21, 2007 4:36:19 AM

Come to think of it, nVidia is doing the same thing and it works very well for them.
October 21, 2007 5:03:39 AM

geofelt said:
One of the best PSU's is the PC power&Cooling silencer610. You can get it direct from them for $119.99, which is less than newegg. What is really good, is that you can call them with a technical question and they will transfer you to a tech support person right away. Ask about your concerns, they seem to be a very customer-friendly outfit. http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S6... Let us know what they say.
---good luck---

Sorry about hijacking the thread...

Geofelt, have you ever tried playing a movie on a monitor and a game on the other at the same time, with your 8800 GTS? I'm trying to do this with my 8800 GTX using PowerDVD and it's not working...
October 21, 2007 5:04:48 AM

geofelt said:
---good luck---
Oh yeah, one of the best for the money. :bounce:  I just built three systems all with Silencer 610s...SWEET. :sol: 
October 21, 2007 6:10:22 AM

aevm said:
Come to think of it, nVidia is doing the same thing and it works very well for them.

They aren't. Nvidia doesn't sell the graphics chips to Evga and the other manufacturers, while selling an Nvidia branded card at the same time.
October 21, 2007 6:31:40 PM

aevm;

I can watch live TV on one monitor while playing CIV-4 on the main monitor. They both display motion fine, but of course the sounds are both coming from both sources, so the mixture is distracting. I have not tried a DVD.
October 21, 2007 9:30:37 PM

geofelt said:
aevm;

I can watch live TV on one monitor while playing CIV-4 on the main monitor. They both display motion fine, but of course the sounds are both coming from both sources, so the mixture is distracting. I have not tried a DVD.

Thanks! Maybe I just need a different dvd player :D 

October 21, 2007 9:32:16 PM

nukchebi0 said:
They aren't. Nvidia doesn't sell the graphics chips to Evga and the other manufacturers, while selling an Nvidia branded card at the same time.

Oops, you're right. ATI is doing that, not nVidia.
October 22, 2007 4:14:35 AM

They have ATI branded cards on Newegg?

Edit: Oh, they do.
October 25, 2007 1:30:51 AM

Update: I decided to go with the Corsair 620 after all, and to get a cheap Geforce 7800 video card to tide me over until the new cards are released. I've ordered most of the things by now, and when I have them all brace yourself for more noob questions. ;) 

Thanks to all who replied.
October 25, 2007 3:21:34 AM

Cheap 7600, not 7800.
October 25, 2007 6:06:26 PM

Oops, nukchebi0 is right, it's a 7600, not 7800.
!