Sign in with
Your question

OC'ing the DS3L vs. the DS3R

Last response: in Overclocking
January 24, 2008 2:42:47 PM

Can anyone tell me if there is a quantitative difference in OC'ing with the GIGABYTE DS3L vs. the DS3R? Just curious if the extra expense is worth it, OC wise.

More about : ing ds3l ds3r

January 24, 2008 2:49:34 PM

Dont think so
January 24, 2008 2:50:21 PM

Yes, niether are as good as a P5K-E. :kaola: 
Related resources
January 24, 2008 2:53:09 PM

STHU cnumartyr

hes just against Gigabyte.....either will do you fine and give similar results
January 24, 2008 2:54:28 PM

Silverion77 said:
STHU cnumartyr

hes just against Gigabyte.....either will do you fine and give similar results

Lol, he hasn't bought it yet, I can get him to join the dark side.
January 24, 2008 3:02:30 PM

althius said:
I've spent more @#%@#(%@ time on the Motherboard than just about any other part. If you are so inclined, take a look here, and tell me why the Dark Side is quicker and more seductive, please.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248291-31-this-pull-t...

Gigabyte and Asus boards are both equally capable. My problem with Gigabyte is the BIOS and how it is labeled. Also the fact that they try to hide some features with CTRL+F1. I hate that. I also hate how things are labeled in it.

I also just am a huge fan of DFI/Asus boards for Intel Core 2s (my opinion may change on the P45/X48 or even with Nehalem). I actually do like some of the 12 phase power regulation designs on the X38 series of motherboards.. I just wouldn't want to deal with the BIOS.

It's all personal preference. I think the Asus P5K-E is flat out the best OCing board for the money for everything from quads to duals. As long as you don't need more than 1.67v on the 0602 BIOS or 1.6v on the 0906 BIOS.
January 24, 2008 6:06:40 PM

cnumartyr said:
Gigabyte and Asus boards are both equally capable. My problem with Gigabyte is the BIOS and how it is labeled. Also the fact that they try to hide some features with CTRL+F1. I hate that. I also hate how things are labeled in it.

I also just am a huge fan of DFI/Asus boards for Intel Core 2s (my opinion may change on the P45/X48 or even with Nehalem). I actually do like some of the 12 phase power regulation designs on the X38 series of motherboards.. I just wouldn't want to deal with the BIOS.

It's all personal preference. I think the Asus P5K-E is flat out the best OCing board for the money for everything from quads to duals. As long as you don't need more than 1.67v on the 0602 BIOS or 1.6v on the 0906 BIOS.

*Nods in agreement*

I own the DS3R...
January 24, 2008 6:15:55 PM

Yeah you have the P35C-DS3R :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
January 24, 2008 6:17:35 PM

Same thing...almost.

It's just worse.
January 24, 2008 6:19:29 PM

OP: do not make the same mistake as our friend here ^^^
January 24, 2008 7:20:28 PM

Fill me in: what's wrong with the P35C-DS3R?

Wait... what? DDR2/3?
January 24, 2008 7:30:36 PM

cant tell if that was a joke^^

but it has memory issues
January 24, 2008 7:39:09 PM

No, I'm just that clueless.
January 24, 2008 8:10:47 PM

Stop confusing me with your numbers and witty replies.

I'm in big enough trouble on this as it is without trying to decipher what you all REALLY mean. :) 
January 24, 2008 8:15:31 PM

jbj190 said:
Fill me in: what's wrong with the P35C-DS3R?

Wait... what? DDR2/3?

Yeah it's a hybrid. You can use DDR2 and 3 on the same board.

However, it's real picky on memory and many people are experiencing the endless rebooting problem.
January 24, 2008 9:51:01 PM

cnumartyr said:

Agreed. I have a P35-DS3R and I plan on passing it along to my bro, and I will be getting an Asus P5K series board (possibly the premium, love those heatpipes :lol:  ). It seems like there isn't as many options in Gigabyte's BIOS as Asus has. Also vdroop is absolutely horrific on load (~.12v!!). Asus has a voltage dampener, and with a vdroop mod, vdroop is no longer an issue. I'm looking forward to the upgrade no less, but it won't be for a bit I think :D 
January 25, 2008 4:09:58 AM

I have the P35-DS3L, mated to a P4 631 3GHz processor, and am currently running that processor at 5GHz. This board has my mark of approval. I'd guess the DS3R has the same capabilities.

AFAIK the diffs between the DS3L and DS3R is that the latter has Crossfire support. Someone confirm this?

I've never had dealings with the Asus P5K-E, so I cannot comment. I've heard good rumours about it though...
January 27, 2008 8:41:33 PM

Well since I'm passing it along soon anyway might as well get a new board to play around with. I just don't like gigabyte's semi-restrictive BIOS (at least compared to ASUS).
January 28, 2008 5:14:38 PM

Valtiel said:
Well since I'm passing it along soon anyway might as well get a new board to play around with. I just don't like gigabyte's semi-restrictive BIOS (at least compared to ASUS).

I have the p35-ds3r rev.2.1, bios F11; The memory timing are directly under M.I.T.. I don't have to do ctrl+f1 or whatever to change the timing. :sol: 
July 10, 2008 1:42:50 AM

dude i have a DS3L and let me tell you something...... IT ROCKS! just be sure of what you're doing and if you're not sure then google what you're trying to do.... remember... google is your "friend" ;) 
a b K Overclocking
July 10, 2008 4:40:04 PM

Mugz said:
I have the P35-DS3L, mated to a P4 631 3GHz processor, and am currently running that processor at 5GHz. This board has my mark of approval. I'd guess the DS3R has the same capabilities.

AFAIK the diffs between the DS3L and DS3R is that the latter has Crossfire support. Someone confirm this?

I've never had dealings with the Asus P5K-E, so I cannot comment. I've heard good rumours about it though...

5Ghz?!?!? How's the heat? Also mind giving a CPUZ link?

The main difference between DS3L and DS3R is DS3R has RAID and more SATA2 connectors.

I have used both boards(DS3R and DS3L) and they both OC the same. The DQ6/DS3P supports CrossFire.

Comparison between DS3L and DS3R and DS3P and DQ6:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Product...

If you don't need RAID get the DS3L if you need RAID get the DS3R, if you need CrossFire get the DQ6/DS3P.

Also be aware that there are RAM compatibility issues with RAM natively higher than DDR2 800 (ie DDR2 1066) on P35-DS3L/DS3R.

Also the EP35-DS3x boards seem to have a problems with BIOS settings not "sticking".
a c 197 K Overclocking
July 10, 2008 9:13:14 PM

Shadow, I have an EP35-DS3P. What problem with BIOS settings?
a b K Overclocking
July 10, 2008 11:12:24 PM

The problem is NOT present in all of the EP35 based boards. The problem is in some of the motherboards the mainly the voltage (and some times other settings) just don't "stick", meaning that when you save and exit the BIOS the settings arn't applied.
a c 197 K Overclocking
July 13, 2008 1:41:11 PM

OK. I was wondering.
October 14, 2008 11:12:15 PM

I own both boards. I had a DS3R originally and it died on me about a year after I had it. Went with a cheap quick replacement the DS3L.
Both overclocked the same. The DS3R has some slightly bigger heatsinks on it. That is pretty much the only difference.
November 3, 2008 10:23:52 AM

I think that there is also one other difference between the two. If you check some pictures, I think that the HS of the northbridge is twice as big in the DS3L. Can someone check?
November 3, 2008 3:04:19 PM

Also when you use the Overclock settings in the bios, the DS3L will set your Ram timings different from the DS3R. I was trying to get my latency to 4-4-4-12 but it somehow always restarts and can never stay at those settings and can only go stable wiht 5-5-5-15. With the DS3R I doubt you will have any problems. But this could also depend on the memory. I have crucial ballistix tracers which whould easily be able to do this but I think its the DS3L mobo that is holding me back. I saw a video on youtube with a guy with the DS3R and his timings set to manual at 1.8 while the DS3L auto starts at 2.0 and 2.2, and cannot hit anything lower or in between. Is this making sense lol? I know for a fact the DS3R has better overclocking ability.
!