AMD's Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Power Consumption
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2007 12:22:47 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/22/budget_overclock...

A much better article tho I would have liked the extra detail in the idle draw.

Overall much better researched than the previous one on power consumption - the extra detail is excellent.

I can now see why they might be a better upgrade buy than a 90nm higher end part ... much less power draw than the 6000+ or 6400+.

I have a 6000+ here I bought a while ago and now regret I didn't wait for the 5000+ Black.

Well done THG.

<pulls 3800+ chips ... plugs 5000+ black in>

And I can keep my cheap assed ram for the kids machines too !!

Plus It might not catch fire like my 6000+ Prescott !!!

More about : amd athlon 5000 black edition

October 23, 2007 12:26:00 PM

If most people have waited 2 years they could get a cheap processor or parts, but then again if you keep waiting you won't have a computer at all!
October 23, 2007 1:03:43 PM

Knowing that AMD pretty much its back against the wall, can anyone tell me why they wouldn't unlock ALL CPUs like they're doing the Black Editions? The enthusiast crowd seems to have migrated over to the Intel camp. To me that seems like a virtually free way of making their products more competitive in the eyes of enthusiasts. I don't think it'd drastically affect ASPs because major OEM vendors aren't going to sell overclocked systems. Just seems like it'd be a nice gesture on their part while the AMD loyals are waiting for something better to come out of Texas.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2007 1:36:37 PM

Thats a very good point !!

A S939 5000+ Black ... now wouldn't that be a dream come true !!!

October 23, 2007 1:40:17 PM

I was actually impressed by how well it overclocked in comparison to other AMD CPUs. As others said, I think AMD would be smart to now offer unlocked multipliers on all of their CPUs.
October 23, 2007 1:49:59 PM

Yes, I was one of the "unlucky" people who was tricked (yes, tricked, no amount of research could have indicated otherwise) into getting a S939 motherboard that was supposed to last for some time, at least.

If you squeaked by until AM2, the Black edition, for the price is amazing.

I, on the other hand, will push my Opty 165 DC @ 2.25Ghz until the Octals are out, so who screwed who? I could have been a customer for ALOT of chip upgrades for a long time, and S939 still represents ALOT of people.

Just bitter that I missed out on such a great processor is all :( 
October 23, 2007 2:27:07 PM

rodney_ws said:
Knowing that AMD pretty much its back against the wall, can anyone tell me why they wouldn't unlock ALL CPUs like they're doing the Black Editions? The enthusiast crowd seems to have migrated over to the Intel camp. To me that seems like a virtually free way of making their products more competitive in the eyes of enthusiasts. I don't think it'd drastically affect ASPs because major OEM vendors aren't going to sell overclocked systems. Just seems like it'd be a nice gesture on their part while the AMD loyals are waiting for something better to come out of Texas.

It seems as if this black edition is built using a new process/revision to yield much better OCing results with less leakage. Most likely the others are not unlocked because they are still running lines on the old process where you are not going to have quite the same OCing success.

If nothing else, this could be a good sign for Phenom if AMD is finally able to make some 65nm chips that don't leak excessively at moderate speeds. Perhaps they will actually be able to make Phenoms in the mid-uppers 2.0Ghz in the near term which is likely what is required to be able to be considered a real competitor with the Penryn.

Especially since the Phenom is going to cost more to produce than the X2 due to its larger size.
They will not be able to continue to play the dirt cheap game.
They will need to be able to play the performance card a little more than they have in the past.

Keeping my fingers crossed, because I want them to push Intel so I can get cheap/fast Quads :>
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2007 4:35:13 AM

yeah I found this cpu online offered with a 1mb cash for each core
the article clearly states that the cpu has 2x512kb's I have been look ing at the X2 6000+ pretty cheap @ 169 but if this new chip is actualy equiped with the extra cash as is stated in the add it would be a waste of 30 bucks or can someone offer something else ?
October 24, 2007 12:45:27 PM

AMD moving socket 939 to a not so vastly different 940 AM2 handed Intel extra sales on a plate. If someone's going to have to change the Motherboard and Ram to upgrade the CPU it's logical to just buy a Superior C2D. I am still using a 4400+X2 939 and I would happily buy a Black edition if I could, but I can't. I feel let down by AMD :( 
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2007 12:24:38 PM

speedbird my best machine is in the same boat ... topped out with ddr550 etc and an OC's 4400+. Since my Corsair WC rig died it is back on air too.

But I also have 2 X 940's ... one with a 6000+ and the other is a 3800+.

Will def swap in a 5000+ for the 3800+.

My other 939 is stuck at a 3800+ ... so still fishing for a faster DC chip for that and the 4400+.

I think the 180 Opti is about the best I can do but here in Australia I can't find any. The FX60 is as rare as too ...

939ers are the neglected generation
!