Sign in with
Your question

Speed Fan & Temperatures

Last response: in CPUs
October 23, 2007 4:19:31 PM

I've got an AMD 5000+ x2 running @ 2.66 Ghz (No OC) and I believe Speedfan shows it running idle at 33 C. The bios shows similiar readings. On Speedfan however, there are two temperatures near the top of the list reading 44 C idle to maybe 50 C under load. When I look in the configure option, I just see something like IT87xxx, which I googled to find out it's a heat sensor. I can't figure out what it's monitoring though. On the main Speedfan screen it's listed as Core 1 and Core 2, but I'm not sure if it's my processor because there is a separate listing in Configure for CPU - which Speedfan shows idling at 33 C.

So the list goes something like this:

Temperatures:
Core 1 (Shows as IT87xx in config options) Avg: 44 C
Core 2 (Also shows as IT87xx in config options) Avg: 50 C ---- This one is always higher than Core 1
System / Case (Self exlpanitory) Avg 30-40 C ---- Depends on the how much heat the gfx card is spewing out
Core (Shows as AMD CPU in config options, which makes me think that Core 1 and Core 2 are unrelated) Avg 33 C ---- Increases slightly under load (gaming)
Core (8800 GTS - Obvios because of it's elevated idle / load temps) - Avg 60-70 C ---- Never goes much higher than 70 C

Any idea what the top two temps could be? (I'm still new to Speedfan and monitoring temps, so I could be really stupid and those could be my CPU temps. If that is the case, I'll need to seek better cooling.)

More about : speed fan temperatures

a b à CPUs
October 23, 2007 6:58:13 PM

CPUZ is not set up to monitoryour GPU. With CPUZ open, click on the 'configure' icon and uncheck any temp readings with a 'red flame' or otherwise not in use.
October 23, 2007 7:07:38 PM

Try using CoreTemp. That should work with the 5000+ and take some guess work out of it.

You can calibrate Speedfan as well. I know your stating you have an AMD, but the C2D temp guide can help some in doing that.

Basically, you'd want to underclock it to its lowest speed in the bios, use the health monitor to see check your temps after 10 mins. What you do there is measure your room ambient temp, and compare to the CPU temp. If its 1C higher then the room temp, then its pretty much close to where you need it. Then boot into windows and make another observation to see if it matches. If not, then you would use the offset for the Tcase temp (sensor the bios use, that is in between the cores).

Also the core temps may be off (especially for intels by 15C) but not sure about AMD's. So if CoreTemp readings match Speedfans, then there's prolly not much to configure or offset.
Related resources
October 23, 2007 7:21:30 PM

I'll try using the CoreTemp program. Right now I know what the safety zones are, but I was just not sure what SpeedFan was monitoring with the first two temps.

Core 1 (Shows as IT87xx in config options) Avg: 44 C
Core 2 (Also shows as IT87xx in config options) Avg: 50 C ---- This one is always higher than Core 1

It seems like CoreTemp will tell me just what my CPU temp is though, which will make me feel a little safer about those temps. Although, I'm still curious what in my case is being monitored. (I know it's not: CPU, GPU, HDD, Case / System... I wonder if it's ram or something... I'm really not sure.)
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2007 7:26:30 PM

Try PC Wizard, it will give much system information including GPU temps and voltages, fan speeds etc. It's right below CPUZ. Try CPUZ too.

http://www.cpuid.com/index.php
October 23, 2007 8:14:32 PM

Using speedfan I have 7 deg difference in temps between first pair of cores to the second pair(QuadCore)
this difference isn't that unusual.

October 23, 2007 8:27:33 PM

I wish I was at home so I could post a screenshot, but I'll try to explain it differently.

Temps: On the Configure Screen:
(This is what each Core is named)
Core 0: 44 C IT87xxx
Core 1: 50 C IT87xxx
System: 30-40 C System
HDD: 30-40 C Maxtor SN#xxxx
Core: 33 C AMD 64 5000+
Core: 60 C GPU

I'm just wondering why the Core labeled as CPU is only a single entry (Instead of 2 cores like my previous pD) If Core 0 and Core 1 is my processor, why is there another entry for AMD 64 5000+? Why do they have a cryptic name in the config screen as well?
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2007 8:46:11 PM

Perhaps someone can give you a better explanation of how your CPU temps are determined by the monitoring softweare you are using.

How can I identify my CPU temperature?

To find your CPU's temperature sensor you can leave your system idle for a few minutes, to let temperatures drop, and then go to 100% usage for a while. The temperature that rises faster is the one you're searching for. Other available temperature readings usually come from your sensor chip itself, from the southbridge, the voltage regulator, or even from an additional probe placed under the processor. This additional temperature sensor is not necessarily a duplicate. Some CPUs are not actually able to report the internal temperature from their die. To be able to read their temperatures, an additional external sensor (thermocouple) is used. In such cases, you will see two temperatures referring to the processor. The higher of the two is from the die. As a final note, please remember that not all available temperature sensors are actually connected to something. If you happen to read unusually high or low temps, they are likely to be from a disconnected (unused) temperature sensor.

http://www.almico.com/sffaq.php
October 23, 2007 8:55:54 PM

I'll try to explain... Although my knowledge is very limited.

Speed fan basically tells you the part of the chipset its getting the reading from. So mine are labeled F71882F for both CPU and MB temps. However the cores are labeled Intel Core.

So I'm thinking (for AMD) that it has to have 1 reading for the bios CPU temp, and then one reading for MB temp. I suppose another for the separate core temps. I haven't seen a bios display core temps but a general temp, that Speedfan is finding.

I wish I could be more informative on how or what the AMD64 sensors are used, but can't seem to find anything for it. I guess you haven't used CoreTemp yet?
October 23, 2007 9:10:34 PM

Nah, I'm going to use it as soon as I get home in an hour or so. Then I'll be able to shed some light on this.
October 24, 2007 1:54:52 AM

Ok, I've figured it out. I updated SpeedFan to 4.33 (I'm not sure why I had the old version) and now the temps show up as follows:

Temp1 = A fan or HS (Not sure what this belongs to)
Temp2 = A fan or HS (Possibly the PSU or GPU fan temp)
Temp3 = I think this is case temp
HD0 = HDD
Temp1 = ACPI
Core = CPU
Core = GPU
Ambient = Another thing w/ GPU

So, I finally figured it out. :D  My Core temp seems to be fine since it barely ever goes up to 37 C, so maybe I can work on my first OC project now.
!