Sign in with
Your question

Boot Problems On New Build!!

Last response: in Systems
October 18, 2007 9:47:18 PM

Ok, after numerous problems during setup, I finally got my new build to boot up and install windows. Everything was going fine until...

I tried to do windows update (my XP disc is Pre-SP1). A little bubble in the corner i have never seen before popped up warning me about protecting my new pc from viruses, and mentioned a specific program to me. I was about to install a virus removal program from online to check it out...when windows update auto rebooted.

Now I get the blue screen of death! It says to check device drivers etc. Beginning physical dump of memory. I can't download new drivers because it won't boot! I don't have my cd antivirus software here. Etc. What should I do??? I'm going to do a complete reinstall of windows now, but what if i try to update windows again?

More about : boot problems build

October 18, 2007 10:54:59 PM

Count Zero said:
Ok, after numerous problems during setup, I finally got my new build to boot up and install windows. Everything was going fine until...

I tried to do windows update (my XP disc is Pre-SP1). A little bubble in the corner i have never seen before popped up warning me about protecting my new pc from viruses, and mentioned a specific program to me. I was about to install a virus removal program from online to check it out...when windows update auto rebooted.

Now I get the blue screen of death! It says to check device drivers etc. Beginning physical dump of memory. I can't download new drivers because it won't boot! I don't have my cd antivirus software here. Etc. What should I do??? I'm going to do a complete reinstall of windows now, but what if i try to update windows again?

Sounds like you got caught by a botnet scanner. A new install would be a good precaution. Prior to that though, I'd get a good trustworthy set of protection tools, burn them to a cd, then install XP off-line, install your AV, FW, whatever you're comfortable with... THEN do your XP updates.

SANS did a 'honeypot' test a while back, and found that unprotected PC's running XP generally got detected and infected within the first five minutes of being online. Some in as little as thirty seconds.
October 19, 2007 3:42:34 PM

Yeah, I remember when I ran XP that I had probs with my Pre SP1 disks. Here's what you do man, if you can from where you are, download SP1 manually from MS, or what may work, if you have a jumpdrive or something of that nature, download a software firewall onto that.

http://www.download.com/PC-Tools-Firewall-Plus-Free-Edi...

As of late, I've been using this one and like it ok. Just install it BEFORE you connect online. That may be worth a shot, as hopefully it should protect your system for a while so you can get updates. Then what I would do, I would get all the updates you can, make sure you also update your firewall, as well as run some kind of antivirus. Personally I like AVG antivirus, which you can download free from here.....

http://free.grisoft.com/

100% legit/legal, free updates, beats paying for Norton or Mcafee in my opinion. I'd say with that, the firewall and the updates, you would have a reasonably stable, secure system.
!