Sign in with
Your question

Drive gets corrupted and unreadable repeatedly

Last response: in Storage
May 23, 2008 12:48:07 AM

Hi guys,

My drive gets corrupted and unreadable repeatedly and it's driving me nuts.

I was never able to format this hard disk successfully through disk management or the command prompt window.

So i ran the HITACHI Drive Fitness Test (disk in good condition), had the disk erased, and used Maxtor's Maxblast to partition and format.

But now whatever files i transfer into this particular drive gets corrupted instantly.

And after moving some files into the drive and restarting a couple of times, either of the follow messages shows when i attempt to access the drive:

- The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable
- The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable

I'm not worried about recovering the data now... i just want the damn drive to stop getting corrupted/unreadable/unstructured.

Anyone know what's wrong? :( 
May 23, 2008 1:16:38 AM

foscof said:
Hi guys,

So i ran the HITACHI Drive Fitness Test (disk in good condition), had the disk erased, and used Maxtor's Maxblast to partition and format.

:( 

:non:  Dont use Maxtor's disk to partition Hitachi drive, :non:  try partition magic.
Related resources
May 23, 2008 1:29:09 AM

Ok i'll try to get my hands on a copy of partition magic and give it a shot slappy_slime.

I'm running or Windows XP, SP2 ^^
May 23, 2008 1:45:49 AM

Sounds like you have an issue with you hard disk controller drivers in XP or your controller is bad. How many drives do you have? Have you looked in device manager and see if anything is flagged?
a c 157 G Storage
May 23, 2008 2:18:30 AM

Questions

-Driver/bios, are they up to date?
-Are you overclocking? (if the PCI/PCI-E bus go to far out of spec you get exactly this problem. PCI-E should be 100mhz, PCI should be 33mhz and AGP should be 66mhz)
-Do you have a spare data cable? This can cause it too
May 23, 2008 3:24:29 AM

Oh tks for reminding me to check my bios nuke! Turns out the cause of it was an outdated bios :D 

Slappy, Graham and roadrunner - tks for the advice too!! Appreciate it ^^
a c 157 G Storage
May 23, 2008 4:54:57 AM

Glad you got it working.

Run the manufacturers test once more just to be sure.
!