Probably a dumb question

Crazymage

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
I'm in the middle of the usual research before making a new system, and I'm trying to really pay attention to the upgradeability of the system. Right now I would prefer getting my motherboard and putting 2 or 4 gigs of ddr2 800 in it, but I also want to be able to use ddr3 down the road. Do these use the same interface (aka could I get a motherboard that supported both of them) or will I have to buy a new mobo when I want to switch to ddr3?

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
They do not use the same slots, but you can get a mobo like Foxconn's X38A that has both types of slots. You can't use both types at the same time but it does give the option for replacing your DDR2 with DDR3 later on.

There are MB's that support both such as the P35C DS3R

LD0000579280_2.jpg

They are not pin computable so there are 4 DDR2 slots and only 2 DDR3 slots.....best bet is to just forget about DDR3 till its mainstream, then get a board for it. After all DDR2 works just fine on todays cpus...

datmantran

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
If you're really worried about future upgradeability, go with an X38 chipset MB. But then with Intel chipsets, you won't have the option of "upgrading" to SLI in the future... kinda sux...

ATM, DDR3 is not showing any improvements over DDR2, and it's extremely expensive. If you're planning on upgrading your machine in around 1-2 years, then there'll probably be a nicer MB, CPU and cheaper RAM out at that time anyways so IMO DDR3 isn't really important ATM. Also, to get the benefits of DDR3, you may need a newer chipset that isn't even available right now... so by the time you buy DDR3, your old MB's chipset might be holding it back...

datmantran

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007

ACK! You want me to walk all the way over THERE! Kinda hard getting my fat @$$ outta my computer chair, maybe you could bring the thread to me instead... LOL

Do not plan on upgrading anything you can buy today. DDR3 is not competitive today in price, and it does not increase application performance. By the time that changes, it will be used in the new motherboards that nehalem will require. At today's low ddr2 prices, you can't go wrong with 4gb. It makes no sense to pay extra for a mobo that can install both. The dual mobos can't use both types at the same time.