Status
Not open for further replies.

specialed_58

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Hello,

I can not update winxp. Event viewer shows applications...ESENT...Event ID 623. I find no reference on web search except for Experts Exchange and I don't want to pay them unless absolutely necessary. OS winxp 5.1.2600 SP3...Compaq Presario C302NR and I'm pretty good at this stuff. Thanks

specialed_58

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Oct 08 updates start ok...Dec 08 first fail (IE7)...no problems until May 09 when NerFramework 3.5 SP1 and family failed. Now all NetFrameworks updates failed. The problem is...I can not resolve is the Long running transaction. Probably need to paste view of the event for further study. thanks

specialed_58

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
.Net Framework 1.1 and 2.0 sp2 seem to be ok except for the failed updates...this all started when .Net Framework 3.5 did not seem to function and I removed it. I am hesitant to remove 1.1 and 2.0 (remove is only option in "add or remove") at this time since I can not access MS updates. I have a suspision the the problem is my IE8...corrupt or duplicated and partially running 2 copies?? Also, I just saw floating around in Program Files/Common Files a single fille (not in folder) gdi.exe which maybe ok, however, the file description is half in machine language...makes me nervous...corrupt?? all help appreciated. Thanks

specialed_58

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Thanks. I have a newer installer than the one you sent and .net 2.0 will not uninstall...says "can not it will affect other apps" LinkId=91126, so tried to install 3.5 again which doesn't because it says file size 0 bytes. Really think problem is deeper and these are just the symptoms...must study this more. thanks

specialed_58

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
aford10, I thought of that a few hours ago and ran that download but, I saved it to the drive and then ran it...no luck. Thanks. Still think the problem lies in IE8 not allowing win update. The easy route is to re-install IE8 but that's a cheap fix and not near as much fun. I must resolve the ESENT Event 623, that's an enigma. Thanks for your help. Did manually uninstall Macrovisions Installer Update Manager which also produced and error 3. But that didn't change anything.

specialed_58

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Ok Thanks. Answer is a little complicated. Since xp would not update I started searching how xp updates. The Event 623 kept indicating that the DataStore was full? So, I started in SAFE mode...I hunted down the DataStore in the SoftwareDistribution file and renamed Datastore.edb to .old . I tried update again and it went through. Cancelled update and went back to SoftwareDistribution and xp had created a new empty file. I then used dotnetfx cleanup to remove .NetFarmework all above 1.1 and ran updates. This gave me all missing critical updates and patches. I then manually downloaded .NetFarmework 2.0 and 3.5 and ran update again to update them. Seems to work fine. Thanks for your help.

dylanapollo

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Thanks guys this worked fine for me. At least to get the downloads to work manually. Still have issues with autoupdate but that's something I can deal with for now. Deleting (renaming) datastore.edb allowed me to use windows update via website.

Status
Not open for further replies.