hmc hammer

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
I was doing some research on this board because I found it would suit my needs for a new system build I plan to assemble pretty soon. I went on Gigabyte's website to research and look in-depth into the specifications of the board. On their website, they have two links, one for rev. 1.0 and rev. 2.0.

Now, I, like most people, shop on Newegg.com for computer hardware needs and on their site, they have that motherboard, but fail to inform you as to what revision it is you would be buying.

Now, I'm not sure if I didn't see it on there or something but I was just wondering if there is a difference between the two revisions and if so, does it really make a difference, what are the differences, and what revision does Newegg post on their website?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

Thats what all DS3L's have... you would have needed to goto a higher model to get firewire or more PCI-e

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
Silver,

You mentioned you got revision 2. I just ordered this card from newegg and will be receiving it tuesday. Did you order the original revision, the 94.99 one, and received revision 2? Are there any differances between this and rev. 2? Thanks.

fiasko!

Sid3way

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
not sure what the revision are on the three DS3L boards i have bought so far, but i noticed that the recent order came with a newer utilities disc labelled "Ver. 103" as opposed to the "Ver. 102" on the old board. Im thinking the 103 just came with a newer BIOS version, but I didnt bother looking up on that yet.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
@ fiask0

There weren't multiple versions for me........I just ordered the one there and it was Rev. 2 (positively....says it on board)

I fon't think there is anything different.....just a little updated.....newer bios and drivers etc.

Sid3way

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
i just checked my boards, both are rev. A2. however, like i mentioned, the recent order came with a newer utilities disc.

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
I also got rev. 2.0. No problems yet, but I dont have speakers to hook it up to yet.. Im running an e2180 right now, stable at 3ghz. on stock cooling.

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
As of now, I have an old stereo that I hooked up and use the video input for sound. They're working pretty good. I'll upgrade sometime. I think i may even have some old creative surrond sound speakers i may hook up and see if it works. Is there difference between regular audio and HD audio noticeable?

MaxRabbit

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007

The difference is noticeable-but onboard HD audio doesn't compare even to the most basic sound card, because the motherboard generates too much interference to get very good quality (according to PC Gamer)

jbj190

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007

Not true at all with my P35-DS3L. My old mobo's onboard generated a lot of noise that was very noticeable when the sound was turned up but afters switching to the P35-DS3L's onboard, I can't hear any static even when I maxed out the volume on my speakers.

MaxRabbit

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Low sound quality doesn't mean static-it just won't sound as good for the audiophile user. I don't really care-I'm happy with onboard sound-but true audiophiles could definetly notice the difference.

tlmck

Distinguished

If you DL the latest driver directly from Realtek, you will really, really, be happy, especially in Vista.