Request For Comments: my new system

lennydizzy

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
Hey, guys, I am building my new system, here is the spec, please give some comments. One thing I am not sure is that, is Ultra V-Series 500 Watts ATX PSU(http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=59&pPath=369&productID=369) enought for a 2900PRO?

Ultra V-Series 500 Watts ATX PSU
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6750 CPU @ 2.66GHz 1333FSB 4MB L2 Cache 64-bit
MSI P35 Neo-F
Corsair Value Select 2*1G
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD2900Pro 512MB
Seagate 320G SATA II
DVD

Thanks in advance~

Plekto

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I'd go with the Gigabyte board and a slightly less overkill CPU. Spend the money caved on a much better video card(most of the time, CPU is rarely pegged - it's video that does the real hard work)

lennydizzy

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
Thanks, guys!

Is the E6750 a overkill? I heard once that you need higher CPU for the video to do its work. Someone have experience on this?

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
I personally think that the E6750 is good. I'm going to be putting it in my new system.

On another note,
Spend the money caved on a much better video card(most of the time, CPU is rarely pegged - it's video that does the real hard work)
Isn't the 2900Pro one of the best cards out there anyways?

I'm really not an expert on this, but I would say you need do need a bigger PSU. Really, not very educated on it though.

lennydizzy

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
Great, thank you guys, I definitely will go for 600w now.

And what you guys think about cooler master extreme power 600w?

tlmck

Distinguished

It appears you are bound and determined to get a cheap power supply. If that is your aim, then as soon as all your parts arrive, immediately take them to the nearest trash bin and dump them in. That is the same thing as buying a cheap power supply.

"Aevm" has given you good advice. Here is some more. Take a look at this list and pick a PSU from Tier 3 or above. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088. About the only thing not on there is the Corsair VX series which are newer than the list. They would fall into Tier 3.

If you remember nothing else, remember this: the PSU is the "single" most important component in a computer. Without it, the rest is just an expensive door stop. If you buy a poor quality PSU, the rest of the machine will be poor quality as well.

To use a loose analogy, think of the PSU as the mother of all the other components. In Texas we have a saying: "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

End of rant.

lennydizzy

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
Hehe, you are right, a few more bucks for a good PSU is worth it.
Thank you guys for your good advices, I am going to get a Tier 2!