help: windows delayed write failure

July 13, 2005 5:21:14 AM

Several times over the past day or so Ive been getting the following
message:

"Windows Delayed Write Failure. Windows was unable to save all the date for
file I:\$mft. The data has been lost. The error may be caused by a failure
of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save the file
elsewhere."

My "I:" drive is a Maxtor One Touch II 250GB external disk drive which I use
for backup. The system is PIV 2.53ghz with 160GB primary drive, 512MB Ram,
Windows XP PRO SP2 and all the latest patches. I also have another external
250MB disk drive and apple ipod attached.

I have a variety of software sevices/processes running; I use Anapod from
Redchair to manage the iPod, Windows Desktop search, Spybot Teatimer, Norton
AV, Zonealarm, Pro, Adaware and adwatch, and pestpatrol all installed and
running.

Any ideas where to look to resolve this issue? It hasnt appeared to be fatal
yet but Im concerned that I'll lose all my backup information.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 10:55:26 AM

"shapeshifter" <chocklat@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Several times over the past day or so Ive been getting the following
> message:
>
> "Windows Delayed Write Failure. Windows was unable to save all the date
for
> file I:\$mft. The data has been lost. The error may be caused by a failure
> of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save the
file
> elsewhere."
>
> My "I:" drive is a Maxtor One Touch II 250GB external disk drive

Is this a firewire drive?...

http://www.bustrace.com/products/delayedwrite.htm
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 12:30:14 PM

shapeshifter wrote:
> Several times over the past day or so Ive been getting the following
> message:
>
> "Windows Delayed Write Failure. Windows was unable to save all the date for
> file I:\$mft. The data has been lost. The error may be caused by a failure
> of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save the file
> elsewhere."
>
> My "I:" drive is a Maxtor One Touch II 250GB external disk drive which I use
> for backup. The system is PIV 2.53ghz with 160GB primary drive, 512MB Ram,
> Windows XP PRO SP2 and all the latest patches. I also have another external
> 250MB disk drive and apple ipod attached.
>
> I have a variety of software sevices/processes running; I use Anapod from
> Redchair to manage the iPod, Windows Desktop search, Spybot Teatimer, Norton
> AV, Zonealarm, Pro, Adaware and adwatch, and pestpatrol all installed and
> running.
>
> Any ideas where to look to resolve this issue? It hasnt appeared to be fatal
> yet but Im concerned that I'll lose all my backup information.

---------------------

I get that occasionally backing up to my DVD+R/W drive. I've never figured out
the "real" cause, but I find that shutting the machine down and rebooting it
always cures the problem in my case. Then I'm good for another month or two.

Good luck...

Bill
July 13, 2005 7:52:33 PM

I'd turn off the "Delayed Write" feature for removable (external)disks, even
if they're big....

In My computer, RClick any disk and choose Properties, then Device -tab
Select the disk in question (has to be powered on and recognized) and choose
properties, then policies -tab. There choose the first ("Optimize for quick
removal") choice.

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)" <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
kirjoitti viestissä news:%23lmJha6hFHA.3608@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> shapeshifter wrote:
> > Several times over the past day or so Ive been getting the following
> > message:
> >
> > "Windows Delayed Write Failure. Windows was unable to save all the date
for
> > file I:\$mft. The data has been lost. The error may be caused by a
failure
> > of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save the
file
> > elsewhere."
> >
> > My "I:" drive is a Maxtor One Touch II 250GB external disk drive which I
use
> > for backup. The system is PIV 2.53ghz with 160GB primary drive, 512MB
Ram,
> > Windows XP PRO SP2 and all the latest patches. I also have another
external
> > 250MB disk drive and apple ipod attached.
> >
> > I have a variety of software sevices/processes running; I use Anapod
from
> > Redchair to manage the iPod, Windows Desktop search, Spybot Teatimer,
Norton
> > AV, Zonealarm, Pro, Adaware and adwatch, and pestpatrol all installed
and
> > running.
> >
> > Any ideas where to look to resolve this issue? It hasnt appeared to be
fatal
> > yet but Im concerned that I'll lose all my backup information.
>
> ---------------------
>
> I get that occasionally backing up to my DVD+R/W drive. I've never
figured out
> the "real" cause, but I find that shutting the machine down and rebooting
it
> always cures the problem in my case. Then I'm good for another month or
two.

> Good luck...
>
> Bill
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 9:17:59 PM

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'd turn off the "Delayed Write" feature for removable (external)disks,
even
> if they're big....
>
> In My computer, RClick any disk and choose Properties, then Device -tab
> Select the disk in question (has to be powered on and recognized) and
choose
> properties, then policies -tab. There choose the first ("Optimize for
quick
> removal") choice.

I agree, but that doesn't always cure this problem
!