e8400 and my Freezer 7 Pro/Intel in box fans

Blowback

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I recently wired up a an e8400 with an arctic cooling freezer 7 pro on a DS3L. I noticed that my fan was not on and appeared to only turn on sporadically during boot (it was like it was trying to turn on but wouldn't). I thought it was defective so I put on the intel stock. It seems to operate more frequently but also appears to turn off if I let the computer sit.

I'm a noob and this is my first computer I have built but aren't the fans supposed to go at all time? Could it be that th e8400 is so cool that the temp control turns the fans off?

I'm totally perplexed. Trying to decide if I need to replace or return this heatsink or maybe could it be a problem with my board...

Any opinions?

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
It's probably an option in the bios or something. When the temps are cold, the fan is suppose to spin real slow, but perhaps it isn't getting enough voltage.

As long as the fan spins up during load, it's fine.

Blowback

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
The Intel spins full almost all the time but the AC FP 7 seemed to only spin sporadically even during boot. It would spin for a second.. then stop... then spin a second.. then stop.. continuously.

gimper48

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Return it. or sell it and get a better cooler. I love my tuniq, zalman 9700, and watercooling system. I will never ever buy another artic cooling freezer again. I broke the mounting pins 3 times. When I didn't break them it didn't cool any better than stock. Especially with the e8400 I have.

davedrave

Distinguished
May 23, 2007
i have the same HS and mobo with a e4400. there's nothing wrong with the fan it just isnt set up properly in bios, just go into your bios and in the 'health' section (can't remember exactly what its called) you can mess around with how the fan is powered/throttled there are diffrent combinations just try them till your hsf starts working properly

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Yes, its a setting PWM, so that the fan slows down when the processor is cool. Keep in mind that the cooler does better than the stock so it will spin less than the stock

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
In the DS3L in the BIOS under the power option, disable auto fan speed. It'll go full speed.Also check it out during windows, not during boot.

nukchebi0

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
The Freezer 7 Pro is a great fan/HS, especially considering it comes with quality paste already on it. The mounting pins work perfectly fine.

nforce256

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
Don't worry, there is nothing wrong with your fan. I have the same motherboard. There is a feature in the BIOS which causes the fan to not spin and only spin depending on your CPU temperature. You can disable it in the BIOS.

Mondoman

Splendid
All the CPU fan speed adjusting features I've seen just allow you to change the speed of the fan, not fully stop it, so I'd look into this further.
Note that there are now two types of CPU coolers: those with 4-pin connectors and those with 3-pin connectors. The 4-pin connectors mean the fan will accept PWM speed-change signals from the MB, while 3-pin fans will not. However, many modern MBs have a second mechanism that works with 3-pin fans by changing the voltage supplied to the fan. It's important to select the correct method for your CPU fan in the BIOS; perhaps yours is set wrong. Otherwise, I'd contact Gigabyte tech support.

Latest posts