Sign in with
Your question

8800GT stock fan noise?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 1, 2007 1:53:26 PM

From what I see on tomshardware, the noise level from stock fan seems reasonable, quieter than other stock fans. But I am not sure how loud (or how quiet) 43dBA is. For those who are quick enough to have a 8800gt before it ran out of stock, Would you like to share your experiences?

More about : 8800gt stock fan noise

November 1, 2007 3:34:37 PM

Mine is fine! It's as quiet as my Galaxy 7900gs with a zalman fan on which i had before.
Related resources
November 1, 2007 3:48:22 PM

Nice, good to hear it is quiet. although a bit hot under load, I think I can live up with that.
November 1, 2007 4:07:11 PM

Mine is 55 normal and 85 under load but my ambient temperature won't help. Also it's pre OC'd at 650 core 1650 shader and 950 mem so i reckon if i want to push it some more i'm going to need better cooling on it to take it down 10 degrees before i push it up again. I was thinking of the duo orb as i don't have much space before i hit my sound card. Anyone have one and can comment on it?
a c 355 U Graphics card
November 1, 2007 5:13:54 PM

43dBA is loud in my opinion, then again I try to build quiet systems. I wouldn't hesitate to replace the stock HSF.
November 1, 2007 11:20:47 PM

rodney_ws said:
I can't get to that link at work for some reason, but how would that help? Wouldn't the volume of the OP's speakers determine the level of sound?

That is EXACTLY what i was thinking lol
November 1, 2007 11:57:19 PM

If you are worried about noise, the upcoming 8800GTS may be for you.

The is lots of rumor, but from what I have gathered, it will have the same core chip, same speeds, same memory at the same speeds, etc..
The only thing is that it will have more core processors.

I am also going to guess is that it will be a dual-slot GPU with a larger and hence quiter fan.

Also, the noise issue may depend on how much your 8800GT is OC'd.
The more it's OC'd the hotter/louder it will be.

Note: The best way to make the 8800GT to be silent is to just hit mute on the sound control on your PC. That worked perfect for me on the link above.
November 2, 2007 12:50:35 AM

LOL @ the audio file!!!

43dba is quite loud IMO.
The sound pressure level (spl) doubles every 8db.
So 40db has half the spl on 48db.
The best quiet fans run sub 20db.
A hish speed 120mm 100+cfm fan will get ~40db

Looking at the cooler config, it should be louder than other 8800's but not as bad as most ati's.

If u plan to keep it more than 9months or so id def look at getting an a/m cooler.

PC noise irritates the hell outta me.
November 2, 2007 8:33:58 AM

dose it have a fan speed controller ? if so it shouldn't be noisy when in idle and when playing games the sound from the speakers masks the sound from the fan
November 2, 2007 9:02:22 PM

zenmaster said:
If you are worried about noise, the upcoming 8800GTS may be for you.

The is lots of rumor, but from what I have gathered, it will have the same core chip, same speeds, same memory at the same speeds, etc..
The only thing is that it will have more core processors.

I am also going to guess is that it will be a dual-slot GPU with a larger and hence quiter fan.

Also, the noise issue may depend on how much your 8800GT is OC'd.
The more it's OC'd the hotter/louder it will be.

Note: The best way to make the 8800GT to be silent is to just hit mute on the sound control on your PC. That worked perfect for me on the link above.

I agree that the new 8800GTS may be quieter, but I believe it will be a lot more expensive
!