upgrading prebuilt HP box

Hi,

My Dad has an HP machine. I bought it for him myself, must admit :) Now, the problem with it is that it only comes with a 300W PSU. We decided to get a new PSU and put it in. So, we looked at the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W, no luck - too long, too wide. Then the Corsair 520HX, also 1 cm too wide. Searching on the Web resulted in mostly incorrect info, such as "you need a micro-ATX PSU, and those are limited to 350W".

Here's what we did:
1. write down the number of the PSU (D3057F3R), and search for it at newegg

2. As you can see, the HP came with a $17 PSU, with no PCI-E connectors, 19A, 68% efficiency.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817174026&Tpk=D3057F3R
I guess after this I have no right to criticize kids who want to buy $40 PSUs for their own builds :lol:

3. Find the physical dimensions of the PSU: 150x140x86 (mm) BTW, it's easier in mm than inches because " (for inches) interferes with Google searches.

4. Do a Google search for
"150 x 140 x 86" supply

5. Look at the hits and investigate the better models that turn out

6. Here are some examples:

Enermax Noisetaker 485W and 600W
Enermax Liberty 620W
OCZ StealthXStream 600W
OCZ GameXStream 600W and 700W
Seasonic S12 500W

So we're going to get a GameXStream 600W (all the others were $50 more expensive or so, except the StealthXStream).

In case anybody reading this has the same problem: don't assume your HP (or Dell or Acer or whatever) can fit the same PSUs I listed above. Measure your PSU first...

Question for the experts now: does this make sense? Will the OCZ work? Am I missing something here? Thanks!

The config: X2 5000+, 2 GB RAM, TV tuner (we'll add a second one after the PSU), 2 hard disks (it came with one disk, we added one, we want to add two more), integrated graphics. We may add a video card later, but it will be something under $200 most likely, not an 8800 GTX.

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I have a similar HTPC setup (with a video card) and it runs fine on a Seasonic 330 watter. I think you're probably overestimating you're needs slightly. Fortron makes several 350-400 watt models that will fit in you're case and are very affordable ($35-50) and reliable.

Oh yes, 600W is overkill for an HTPC, but we may end up adding an 8800 GT so he can play Spore or other things more demanding than Simcity 4. I did look at Fortron too, but here in Canada choices are a bit more limited. Thanks!

Not this time. PC Cyber near my home has that PSU for $34 less than NCIX, and without waiting for the mail.

But thanks anyway. Yeah, sometimes NCIX has very nice prices. And you save 8% PST if you're not in BC :)

mlhm5

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007

Good point!

Thanks!

Thanks everybody for the contributions. The PC is now working nicely with a GameXStream 600W. For now it's overkill, but next month I'll add an 8800 GT and install Hellgate:London :)