Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Windows Vista
  • PCI Express
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 1, 2007 2:04:08 PM

Hi all long time lurker first time poster!

Ive just got a new inno3D 8800GT, but having problems.

Before I start going into the issue, my mobo is 1.0a pci-e, do i require 1.1> ? because my issue is the 8800GT is providing no display signal to the moniter at any stage, from turning comp on all way through to the loading of windows vista!

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Ian

More about : 8800gt problem

November 1, 2007 2:53:35 PM

It could be your power supply what are your specs?
November 1, 2007 3:13:52 PM

CORSAIR 450W psu, fully compaitable. amd am2 3800x2. 2gig ddr2 667mhz ram
Related resources
November 1, 2007 3:35:36 PM

What MB? did you update the bios?
November 1, 2007 3:38:56 PM

its an asus m2v motherboard with the latest bios.....
November 1, 2007 4:26:23 PM

I was at the EVGA forum and someone had the same problem. I told them my story about getting a 7800gs when they first came out. Same thing, I tried everything, finally I put in the xp cd and booted to it. WALA! the install screen came up. I had to reinstall xp, and after that never had a problem again. Of course those guys blew me off and told two people to RMA their cards. They were 8800gt's also. I sold the 7800gs last year to a friend and it is still going strong. Just trying to help! The computer would go through all of the motions with boot up, just nothing on the screen and no signal.......
November 1, 2007 4:34:17 PM

so how would installing xp help? because i get no display even at teh post screen? surely i would get a signal there? plyus the fan on the card is always at its highest? is this normnal?
November 1, 2007 4:39:45 PM

Just try the vista cd, I am not saying it was some magical thing with xp. I wouldn"t know about the fan speed, but I suspect it is because due to your problem the drivers are not installed since you don't have a signal.
November 1, 2007 4:43:04 PM

so install xp?
November 1, 2007 4:46:38 PM

If it is a bad card, then you will be a little closer to a RMA. I hope not. Another thing is, do you have the monitor plugged into the left digital out put on the card? I didn't have a post screen either with the 7800gs.
I know its weird, and it may mean nothing in this case but, just trying to help, in the excitement of getting the card, you may have forgotten something......
November 1, 2007 4:47:35 PM

No, try the vista cd if that is what you had on tha machine in the first place.....
November 1, 2007 4:51:58 PM

It may not work, but at least you tried, there are alot of things it might be, from a bad seat with the card...etc. Just go back through your installation steps, you will find the problem. I can't believe that all of these card companys released bad cards for sale. I know the 7900gt had a serious problem with the vram when it was release, I had bought one for this build and ended up taking it back and getting a 7950gt than has run great for 10 months.
November 1, 2007 4:52:30 PM

hi! got a small query,i've got a coolermaster 600watts extreme power duo psu and i am planning to buy the 8800gt within 15 days(after the ati 3800 shows up)
the power ratings on my psu say +12V1-18A,+12V2-18A
so that means i have 2 12 volt rails and i can run 8800gt without any hiccups?
November 1, 2007 4:53:09 PM

rivaldo2k1 said:
so how would installing xp help? because i get no display even at teh post screen? surely i would get a signal there? plyus the fan on the card is always at its highest? is this normnal?

If the fan works like old 8800s it should slow down when you enter windows.Then of course you can adjust it by using software.I use Rivatuner and works fine.For 8800 GTS that is.Try that Vista reinstall or repair option the other guys told you.Its the best you can do at the moment.It would be good if you could try the card to another computer also.
November 1, 2007 4:55:19 PM

im not sure what you mean by ivista cd? i have vista installed and its fine. when i put my x1600 i have an image on the monitor. when i plug teh 8800gt in computer runs as normal, but monitor displays no signal all the way from power on
November 1, 2007 4:58:15 PM

I could see using a CD if it would POST but not show anything while Windows was booting. This happens to me too when I'm using the Microsoft version of the graphics drivers. To fix it, I just uninstall from safe-mode and install NVidia drivers. Maybe that's not the same thing as what the rest of you are talking about.

But for OP's issue, it either means there's a problem with the card itself, or it's not supported. The card IS PCI-E 2.0 compliant so I don't know if that would work with PCI-E 1.0 or 1.1. Try in another box if you can and see if it posts. If so, then it's most likely your board. You may want to call NVidia and ask if the GT is PCI-E 1.0 compliant.

BTW it would post without being plugged in to the PSU. You would get Windows errors stating that the card isn't getting enough power though unless the cards have changed that much since the 7-series cards. So it's most likely not the PSU.
November 1, 2007 4:59:51 PM

well ill try from the cd now, but its backwards compaitable from 1.0 apparently....
November 1, 2007 5:01:13 PM

im confused, if i try from cd now, shouldnt i get a signal whilst teh mobo BIOS post screen is showing? then it would loose it whilst loading windows? because im just not getting a signal full stop?
November 1, 2007 5:03:34 PM

There was something on another forum about getting additional power from the motherboard, can't remember. I do know I would have that card on a separate rail....Yes 600watts is enough. Just watch the load to each rail. It could be a power problem too.
November 1, 2007 5:05:05 PM

Thats what I said, it was the dangest thing I had ever seen.
November 1, 2007 5:17:51 PM

You need to find out how much power that card takes to operate. 450 may not be enough. You may have to buy a stronger power supply. I have the corsair 620, love it.
November 1, 2007 5:24:04 PM

SGTHACK said:
If it is a bad card, then you will be a little closer to a RMA. I hope not. Another thing is, do you have the monitor plugged into the left digital out put on the card? I didn't have a post screen either with the 7800gs.
I know its weird, and it may mean nothing in this case but, just trying to help, in the excitement of getting the card, you may have forgotten something......

I had a similar problem with an ATI 9800Pro.When i used a dvi to vga adapter it worked fine :o 
Also riv do you hear any beeps from the mobo?If you have a speaker.
November 1, 2007 5:28:36 PM

Sunny, glad to see you are waiting. I am too. To much price gouging for me. Best to let the dust settle and have a clear choice. Crysis brought this all on...am upgrading because it's time not because of one game. Now some of the people are complaining about the 3dmark scores with an sli setup of the 8800gt. They think it should be out of sight. Geezzz I will be glad when this stuff settles down and we get some real info from the people who bought the card, heat, fan noise, etc. There are other things to consider besides 3dmark scores. At least for me there is........
November 1, 2007 6:11:23 PM

One thing that it might be.. have you tried both dvi/ vag outputs?

it could be that its defaulting to a output that you have nothing hooked up to.
November 1, 2007 6:26:48 PM

ive just trioed it on mates pc works fine sop must be my mobo!
November 1, 2007 6:40:47 PM

does he run a bigger (watts) power supply than you do? you may just need a new power supply. If you have been running this motherboard, just with a different graphics card, the motherboard is probably o.k.. Another thing is, did you upgrade to the latest bios before installing the card? It maybe as simple as a bios flash to solve the problem. Try the bios flash first, if you haven't yet, then if that doesn't work that narrows it down to not enough power supply. 450w seems a little light for that card.
November 1, 2007 6:53:08 PM

Maybe PCI-E 1.0a is the problem. I have a mobo that supports 4x and 8x AGP according to the specs and runs Radeon 9700 fine at 1x AGP. When the next gen graphics cards arrived, they were strictly 4x and 8x AGP. I upgraded to Geforce 7800 GS and had exactly the same problem that you have with your Geforce 8800 GT. Everything seemed to load up normally and the fan on the graphics card was running but there was just no signal to the monitor.
November 1, 2007 9:26:09 PM

SGTHACK said:
You need to find out how much power that card takes to operate. 450 may not be enough. You may have to buy a stronger power supply. I have the corsair 620, love it.

It dosent really matter how much watts the psu has. Of course it does matter but, how much amps a psu outputs is more inportant. If you have around 30amps you should be fine with a 8800gt.
November 1, 2007 9:38:09 PM

well i used MY psu at my friends house as his wasnt very powerful! So i took my corsair 450w with 33a on the12v rail, placed it in his mobo with my 8800GT and it worked fine! vista picked it up as a standard vga card ready for drivers..... Its just my asus m2v mobo it isnt working on. and from what I can gather his pci-e is also 1.0a like mine! weird stuff.
November 1, 2007 9:53:33 PM

maybe you have to disable onboard graphics first
some mobos have that problem
November 1, 2007 9:58:03 PM

I dont have any onboard graphics lol
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2007 10:30:50 PM

Ok I a bit lost.

Is it that you get no display intially or you just don't see the bios/boot screen and only see the windows loading splash screen?

The later is a common problem when LCDs don't support the default resolution of the BIOS, some cards handle it better than others, and some LCDs handle it better than others.
November 1, 2007 10:39:41 PM

i get no display full stop lol! dont see anything and the cards fan spins on and on and on....! at full speed.....
November 5, 2007 7:20:34 PM

Hey im having the same problem i just got my 8800GT and my monitor is not reactting to it, it works fine with my 8800GTS tho. I am going to test out the XP thing hope it works. Anyway if anyone has updates on what the problem might be then i would love to hear it. I have a asus motherboard, 600W PSU everything able to run this card.

Anyway thanks for your help.
November 5, 2007 8:09:54 PM

I'm having the same problem with a card from bestbuy. The original ESD sticker had another one placed over it like it had been opened. The fan on the card is going and I can hear it boot into Vista just no video signal(not on boot either). MB error lights are blinking. Hope this thing is compatible with my motherboard!

OCZ 700
biostar tforce 550
November 5, 2007 8:32:46 PM

Haha guys, this is the easiest problem ever.

It is called "unexpierenced pc hardware installer"
I bet that none of you with this problem has a ground cable attached to the cabinet or your wrist.

Without doing this you actually have the risk of electro shocking the equipment you are installing and have installed.

If the screen is black and the fans are running, the motherboard is dead, because the PSU still delivers (turns on/off) power when you push the button. It is what keeps all the fans going and no image on screen.

Dead motherboard.
November 5, 2007 8:45:27 PM

I beg to differ, Jorg40. I've run into this before on other cards, switching between the 2 output plugs and/or using a vga/dvi adapter usually got them working. The board may be fried, but usually the card being installed fries before the board.
November 5, 2007 8:49:26 PM

I always burst the motherboard first, dunno why, my 6800XT is immortal!
My 6800 have been in 3 motherboards now. (Motherboards dont like me)
November 5, 2007 8:54:15 PM

Jorg40 said:

Dead motherboard.

But amazingly I'm able to post this with my old video card installed.

as for the vga/dvi thing I tried my crt and it did the same thing I almost willing to bet its a compatibility error
November 5, 2007 9:06:37 PM

PCI-E 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.1 (most boards 965 and newer) not 1.0

I have no idea what the specs are for the asus m2v motherboard but that could be the problem if it is not working.
November 5, 2007 9:11:29 PM

ishikawa said:
But amazingly I'm able to post this with my old video card installed.

as for the vga/dvi thing I tried my crt and it did the same thing I almost willing to bet its a compatibility error

Dead VGA!
November 5, 2007 9:50:05 PM

Its not dead VGA or anything like it. I have confirmed with Nvidia they are backwards compat with 1.0, 1.0a and 1.1. So to test this i switched from the m2v asus mobo, to an asrock one. guess what? worked 1st time! So it seems certain older motoerboards dont like the 8800GT wheras some do! Simply a case of switching mobo!
November 5, 2007 9:52:21 PM

Also, a lot of asus motherboards dont like the 8800GT!
November 5, 2007 9:52:52 PM

oh and im on pcie 1.0a now !
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2007 10:03:49 PM

Interesting.

So it's going to be like the initial AGP 8X cards where some boards have problems need revisions, others are fine even running at 2X.

That kinda sucks actually, it was alot easier when it 1.1, no 1.0/1.0a ; now it may be 1.0 = bad/low prob 1.0a = maybe 1.1 = ok!!
November 5, 2007 11:09:23 PM

Hmmm i no it has nothing to do with the motherboard dieing. . . i am going to update my BIO's and see if that help at all i have a Asus A8V-VM <green> motherboard
November 5, 2007 11:28:35 PM

^ Damb i gess i need to buy a new mother board well after reading all of this. . . . ****. . . . .
November 9, 2007 3:37:15 AM

It has already started to hit some of the vendor forums that many of the newest motherboards are not functioning with the new 8800GT. Check out the Abit, Asrock and Nvidia boards. It appears to be a compatibility problem with PCI-E 2.0. While the new boards should function fine not every implementation by Motherboard manufacturers was correct or compatible. Abit is reporting a bios problem with at least one of their mainboards. More then likely a problem with specifications, interpretation and implementation.
November 9, 2007 12:29:50 PM

I am pretty sure i read an article saying that 5-15% of the 8800GT's came DOA. Guess you got unlucky?
November 9, 2007 2:02:35 PM

anyone have an asus m2a-vm that's having problems? because that's the mobo I was going to get along with a pny 8800gt.... i may put my plans on hold though if the mobo won't like it.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!