8800GT problem

rivaldo2k1

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
Hi all long time lurker first time poster!

Ive just got a new inno3D 8800GT, but having problems.

Before I start going into the issue, my mobo is 1.0a pci-e, do i require 1.1> ? because my issue is the 8800GT is providing no display signal to the moniter at any stage, from turning comp on all way through to the loading of windows vista!

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Ian

SGTHACK

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I was at the EVGA forum and someone had the same problem. I told them my story about getting a 7800gs when they first came out. Same thing, I tried everything, finally I put in the xp cd and booted to it. WALA! the install screen came up. I had to reinstall xp, and after that never had a problem again. Of course those guys blew me off and told two people to RMA their cards. They were 8800gt's also. I sold the 7800gs last year to a friend and it is still going strong. Just trying to help! The computer would go through all of the motions with boot up, just nothing on the screen and no signal.......

rivaldo2k1

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
so how would installing xp help? because i get no display even at teh post screen? surely i would get a signal there? plyus the fan on the card is always at its highest? is this normnal?

SGTHACK

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Just try the vista cd, I am not saying it was some magical thing with xp. I wouldn"t know about the fan speed, but I suspect it is because due to your problem the drivers are not installed since you don't have a signal.

SGTHACK

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
If it is a bad card, then you will be a little closer to a RMA. I hope not. Another thing is, do you have the monitor plugged into the left digital out put on the card? I didn't have a post screen either with the 7800gs.
I know its weird, and it may mean nothing in this case but, just trying to help, in the excitement of getting the card, you may have forgotten something......

SGTHACK

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
It may not work, but at least you tried, there are alot of things it might be, from a bad seat with the card...etc. Just go back through your installation steps, you will find the problem. I can't believe that all of these card companys released bad cards for sale. I know the 7900gt had a serious problem with the vram when it was release, I had bought one for this build and ended up taking it back and getting a 7950gt than has run great for 10 months.

sunny27

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
hi! got a small query,i've got a coolermaster 600watts extreme power duo psu and i am planning to buy the 8800gt within 15 days(after the ati 3800 shows up)
the power ratings on my psu say +12V1-18A,+12V2-18A
so that means i have 2 12 volt rails and i can run 8800gt without any hiccups?

cal7

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007

If the fan works like old 8800s it should slow down when you enter windows.Then of course you can adjust it by using software.I use Rivatuner and works fine.For 8800 GTS that is.Try that Vista reinstall or repair option the other guys told you.Its the best you can do at the moment.It would be good if you could try the card to another computer also.

rivaldo2k1

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
im not sure what you mean by ivista cd? i have vista installed and its fine. when i put my x1600 i have an image on the monitor. when i plug teh 8800gt in computer runs as normal, but monitor displays no signal all the way from power on

leo2kp

Distinguished
I could see using a CD if it would POST but not show anything while Windows was booting. This happens to me too when I'm using the Microsoft version of the graphics drivers. To fix it, I just uninstall from safe-mode and install NVidia drivers. Maybe that's not the same thing as what the rest of you are talking about.

But for OP's issue, it either means there's a problem with the card itself, or it's not supported. The card IS PCI-E 2.0 compliant so I don't know if that would work with PCI-E 1.0 or 1.1. Try in another box if you can and see if it posts. If so, then it's most likely your board. You may want to call NVidia and ask if the GT is PCI-E 1.0 compliant.

BTW it would post without being plugged in to the PSU. You would get Windows errors stating that the card isn't getting enough power though unless the cards have changed that much since the 7-series cards. So it's most likely not the PSU.

rivaldo2k1

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
im confused, if i try from cd now, shouldnt i get a signal whilst teh mobo BIOS post screen is showing? then it would loose it whilst loading windows? because im just not getting a signal full stop?

SGTHACK

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
There was something on another forum about getting additional power from the motherboard, can't remember. I do know I would have that card on a separate rail....Yes 600watts is enough. Just watch the load to each rail. It could be a power problem too.

SGTHACK

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
You need to find out how much power that card takes to operate. 450 may not be enough. You may have to buy a stronger power supply. I have the corsair 620, love it.

cal7

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007

I had a similar problem with an ATI 9800Pro.When i used a dvi to vga adapter it worked fine :eek:
Also riv do you hear any beeps from the mobo?If you have a speaker.

SGTHACK

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Sunny, glad to see you are waiting. I am too. To much price gouging for me. Best to let the dust settle and have a clear choice. Crysis brought this all on...am upgrading because it's time not because of one game. Now some of the people are complaining about the 3dmark scores with an sli setup of the 8800gt. They think it should be out of sight. Geezzz I will be glad when this stuff settles down and we get some real info from the people who bought the card, heat, fan noise, etc. There are other things to consider besides 3dmark scores. At least for me there is........

RedZone

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
One thing that it might be.. have you tried both dvi/ vag outputs?

it could be that its defaulting to a output that you have nothing hooked up to.