Upgrade my Media Center PC

hoomer

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
I built a Asus Pundit-R Media Center PC.
I only use it to surf on-line on the couch, or watch DVDs or DivX (mostly). Its DVI connected to a 31" LCD and to a surround system.

Specifications:
-Processor: Celeron 2,53GHZ (sk478)
-RAM: 512MB
-TV tuner: none
-Graphic card: Radeon 9100 (Integrated Graphics)
-Audio card: ADI AD1888 , 6 channels (integrated on the motherboard)

It has been working fine, but now i'm gonna buy a LCD projector and a top of the notch surround system, and im gonna start doing some photo editing as well to (with Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom) and was thinking of upgrading some components, like:
-Processor: Pentium 4, 3,2GHZ, 800MHZ
-RAM: 2GB
-TV tuner: Dont use it to record anything, so...
-Graphics: was thinking on buying the ATI Geforce Silence 6600, but i dont think i need it
-Audio: Creative LAbs Xi-Fi (dont know which one yet...)

I only have 2 PCI slots so i have to choose between graphics and tv tuner...

What do u think??? is it worht upgrading this computer??

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I think you'd be better off getting a new mobo, cpu, and RAM. Don't know if you can reuse your case, not familiar with the ASUS Pundit. Photo editing relies heavily on the CPU so would go with an Intel Dual Core 6750 or a Quad Core if you can afford it and a P35 mobo unless you getting a Micro Media Center case in which case a P33 micro ATX mobo. These will come with onboard video, which you could use. The sound card will be important, both these cards are specifically designed for audio/video rather than gaming although they will work for games. Just got the HT Omega and excellent for music. What's your budget? The case will dictate whether you'll need a micro ATX board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271003
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829156002

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
I would say that it is time to upgrade. I would agree with either a Intel core 2 duo or quad. I would also say 2gb ram, maybe more. With on board video, you won't really be able to play very many games at all. It doesn't really seem like that is a big concern, though.

Wolfshadw

Titan
My HTPC:

NMediaPC 200BA Case
Gigabyte G965-S2 (1xPCI-Ex16, 1xPCI-Ex1, 2 PCI)
Intel Core2Duo E6600
2 Gig DDR2-667 RAM
ATI HD 2600 Pro
Bluegears B-Enspirer7.1
AverMedia AVerTV Combo PCI-E
MS Windows XP-MCE (w/MCE Keyboard and Remote)

It's hooked up to a BenQ MP610 Projector. I use it solely for watching movies (netflix/DivX) and I'm loving it.

I saw this BluRay/HD-DVD Combo Drive and started drooling again, but that would require upgrading the projector to allow for HD display.

In your case, it's really up to your budget. I would definitely look into upgrading your motherboard to one that has a couple more add on slots. With the new motherboard comes a new processor (Dual-Core/Quad-Core all the way), new RAM, a new graphics card, a new tuner card, and a solid sound card.

-Wolf sends

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007

The only reason that I suggested a quad core is because photo editing is one of the few things that can currently use all four cores. Meh =\