Windows XP stops reacting on clicking the Quick Launch icons

Hi,
I have got a wierd problem which cropped up suddenly on my Windows XP
machine. I booted the machine and when it asked for uname/passwd I gave
it, but then the machine hung. Then I hard booted the machine, and
everytime there after it booted correctly, but on the desktop of my
Windows XP clicking on any Quick launch icons basically hangs my
machine.

On the task manager nothing seems to show as "Not Responding", but even
if I try to Log Off, the process just goes on and on.

Any insight on this issue will be very helpful

~Pallav

--
psarangi

Hi,

Have you tried deleting and recreating the Quicklaunch bar?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"psarangi" <psarangi.1s3f1o@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Hi,
> I have got a wierd problem which cropped up suddenly on my Windows XP
> machine. I booted the machine and when it asked for uname/passwd I gave
> it, but then the machine hung. Then I hard booted the machine, and
> everytime there after it booted correctly, but on the desktop of my
> Windows XP clicking on any Quick launch icons basically hangs my
> machine.
>
> On the task manager nothing seems to show as "Not Responding", but even
> if I try to Log Off, the process just goes on and on.
>
> Any insight on this issue will be very helpful
>
> ~Pallav
>

> --
> psarangi

It may be a virus. Have you checked your system for viruses with any
anti-virus software?

Also, have you checked your startup folder in windows? Is anything in
there?

And one more thing. Try opening task manager and look for processes. If
you see any process not known to you and it usually takes less than 100
K of memory usage, it could potentially be a virus. Most likely that
kind of processes are not on SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE or NETWORK SERVICE.
But, you should not end any process that you aren't sure of.

Anything helps?

--
Madboy