Need help fixing HD, urgent

G

Guys, I need your help, I think I messed up bad.

I moved one IDE hadr drive from one computer(XP) to another(Vista). vista did not detect/read it and I put it back into xp machine. Now the disk is inaccessible and I get error "D:\ is not accessible. the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

I am scared crapless. lots of important files on that hd. Can you help please?

spilo101

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I dont know what hapened to my account, I had to reregister, the above guy is me. anyways:

I checked ownership of the file and current owner appears to be "S-1-5-21-1417001333-688789844-1801674531-1003" could this be the reason?

I tried changing ownership, and gives same error. if I try to change ownership and have "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" selected as well I get this error:

An error occured applying security information to: \??\D:\

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Im not sure if this is the answer you want but here goes. I have a dual boot system, and now run vista. What i had happen was i had certain parts of my partitions for vista, some for xp. Vista didnt like the xp ones, wouldnt let me access them. Xp would. But it sounds like you may need to reinstall.

spilo101

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
BLACKSCI, thanks for your advice

I was able to fix the problem It was the permissions problem after all. Some guy in IRC told me to attempt to change the owner of the drive in Safe Mode and it worked. I could not find him later to thank him...

Problem fixed, you can't imagine how lucky I was not to loose important data.