Your question

Disable Intel boot Agent

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Intel
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
January 27, 2008 1:21:56 AM

Long story short, Dell in home tech came today to fix a video card problem but showed up without the replacement card. He had a new motherboard which was for further troubleshooting if the new video card didn't work. So he replaced the motherboard and kept the exisitng NVidia card and, of course, it didn't correct the video card issues.

So here is my new problem. Now when the computer boots, I get this Intel Boot Agent that is scanning for DHCP. Needless to say it's annoying. I've used the search button and haven't yielded any results. I've gone through the Bios settings and I made sure that I don't have the "IBA..." selected anywhere. My first bootable is 1: removable, 2: hard drive, and 3: is cd rom. I see in my options that the IBA is there but I haven't selected it.

How do I disable this Intel Boot Agent that is scanning for a DHCP?
Let me know if more info is needed. Please dumb it down because I'm not uber computer savy

Thanks, Tom.

My setup is: 1 Week old Vostro 400
Vista 32bit Premium
BIOS ver. 1.0.10 just DL'd from Dell Previous ver. 1.0.3
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33Ghz
2gig Ram
Integrated 10/100 NIC just DL'd drivers from Dell

More about : disable intel boot agent

February 6, 2008 8:33:48 PM

Supposedly you can disable the onboard chip. Intels online help has some info on it. I tried on one of my cards, but even after going through the motions it still was searching for a network boot command. Kind of annoying, right. Adds about 20s to boot time. I find it annoying that intel enables this function on retail cards since I would think the majority of end users are not ever going to remote boot their systems.

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-008018.htm

Anyone else have any ideas.
June 13, 2008 9:58:41 AM

I've just bought an old Compaq E500 with the same 'feature', and I found I had to update the network adaptor firmware before I could disable it.

for the Compaq, this was on their support site:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Softwa...

but no doubt the same thing is availble from Intel.

Hope this helps someone. I agree completely with dsb's comments!
Related resources
January 8, 2010 4:14:26 AM

This may be a little too late for all concerned, but booting from the network appears to be a BIOS setup thing. On my relatively new HP Elitebook, I've just disabled it by disabling "System Config / Boot Options / PXE Internal NIC boot" and "System Config / Boot Options / Wake on LAN". Maybe I didn't need need to do both, but as a former boss of mine said, "Belts and braces!"

Geoff
November 25, 2012 6:28:23 PM

After hours of searching and reading blogs the answer was really simple. In my case I was working on a gateway pc with windows xp. Start the pc when it first starts repeatedly press F2 till you get to BIOS SETUP UTILITY. Press the right arrow the the BOOT menu. In the submenu arrow down to PXE BOOT to LAN. Disable it. That will prevent your pc from booting through that stupid intel agent. The boot order does not matter as described by Intel.
February 9, 2013 2:07:51 PM

I had the same problem until I noticed it listed as IBA GE SLOT in the boot options. I disabled this and it no longer attempts a network book. Case solved.
May 15, 2013 8:19:17 AM

If it helps, I managed to stop it by changing the setting for "integrated nic" to enabled, rather than "enabled w/PXE"

Boots like a flash now
!