Hard disk totally inaccessible!

Dan++

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Basically, I had a bunch of problems with booting between Windows and Ubuntu and managed to sort them out by making a fresh start with my hard disks (I have 2x 80GB, 1x 500GB).

The 500GB drive stores all my documents... and I mean all of them.

As a precaution, I unplugged the drive while the PC was off before doing reinstallation and partitioning for Windows & Ubuntu.

After all was settled I plugged it back in, and now both Windows and Ubuntu can see it, but all they know is: It's NTFS, and 500GB.

Windows wants me to format it, and Ubuntu just doesn't let me do anything with it. When I use fdisk -l it says it's an "sfs" drive but gparted tells me it's NTFS. This disk can't have been written over, it just can't have been, what could've possibly done it?

If anyone has absolutely any ideas whatsoever or a full solution I'd be forever in your debt. I have a lot of stuff from that backed up, but not everything. I'd be losing a lot of music and movies and applications.

Thanks very much, I hope someone out there can help!

Dan++

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Thanks! I've had a look around and something called TestDisk seems to be able to help, but all it does is recover data, and it said that the disk looks damaged.

Can't there be a way to simply fix the disk?

zzzuppermen

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
If you reinstall xp, sometimes certain folders are inaccessible, due to losing credentials to access it. Never experienced with a whole drive though. If it mounts under xp, you could reset the file permissions in safe mode.

http://www.fixmyxp.com/content/view/38/129/

The above link refers to gain ownership on a folder, but should work with hds as well.