Sign in with
Your question

Quiet PSU: Nesteq vs Corsair vs Thermaltake

Last response: in Components
October 25, 2007 9:42:17 AM

Hello,

I'm looking for a quiet PSU, it does not have to be 0db, but as quiet as possible.

At the moment I have Tagan TG480-OU01 and it's a little to loud as I want to build a quiet PC and upgrade some components.

I dont intend to overlock my computer and the components coming soon will be:

Intel Q6600
2x2GB Ram DDRII
3x500Gb Sata2
Asus P5K p35

So, as said, which of listed PSU's you reccomend?

NesteQ EECS 7001 or Thermaltake Toughpower 750 W or Corsair HX620W ?

TNX for your help.
October 25, 2007 10:53:38 AM

I use the Thermaltake Toughpower 700W

My system is

Q6600
Asus p5k-v
4gb ddr2 800
74gb raptor
160gb hdd
sound blaster gamer
2 dvd-rw's
5 case fans
1950Pro 512mb

and i dont have no problems.
my computer runs awesome
October 25, 2007 11:06:39 AM

i think Corsair > Thermaltake , in general.
Related resources
October 25, 2007 11:14:23 AM

That I thought, but what about the quietness, which is less noisy Corsair or Thermaltake?

October 25, 2007 12:30:30 PM

Seasonic is quieter than the Corsair.
Seasonic makes the Corsair and they are the same platform but Seasonic tweaks theirs to be a little quiter from the reviews I have read.
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2007 6:08:25 PM

Silent PC Review usually has good reviews from the quiet perspective.
October 26, 2007 10:33:42 PM

Jup, been there, yesterday, have read all their PSU review.

Looks like Corsiar and Seasonic are the best choice for noisless PC.

Can anyone tell in practise, which of the two is less noissy, Corsair 620W or Seasonic 650W ?

And which are the new series from Seasonic S12 or M12 and what's the difference ?

TNX!
October 26, 2007 11:37:42 PM

I've had my Corsair HX-520 for about 4 days. I couldn't be happier. You really have to put your head within about 12 inches to hear it. If you have a power pig of a system It'll be louder. Listen to the sample sounds on silent pc review.

I like the modular cables. When you have a small case it's nice not to have all of those extra cables stuffed in the case.

Read those review "carefully" if you want to know which model might have performed slightly better than it's cousin. It's like comparing a Plymouth to a Dodge (same engine, different upholstery).

Note that the HX-520 has the same rating on it's 12V lines as the HX-620.

Note that the models smaller than 520W have smaller heat sinks. They will ramp their fans up sooner when the load goes up. It'd be nice if they used the same size heat sinks in the smaller models that they use in the larger models, but then people would have much less reason to select the more costly options.
October 27, 2007 12:14:03 AM

Slightly off topic, but may be helpful.

I am a big fan of PC Power and Cooling, but when it comes to ultra low-noise I think they need to borrow a couple of ideas from Seasonic. Bigger slower fans work better in this arena, period. Making the power supply longer with a space between the fans and the components is not the best approach, and if you're using a small case may be a bad approach.

I'd favor the PC P&C in high wattage apps such as 750W and above. From what I've seen their components are a cut above the rest. In my opinion the single 12V rail is the way to go.

For low-noise I will go with Seasonic (or derivative) until PC P&C gets smart and employs the techniques that are working for the low-noise leaders.

PC P&C doesn't currently make modular power supplies. They can have all the technically (correct) reasons why non-modular is better. If buyers want/need modular then PC P&C should have that as an option.
October 27, 2007 1:41:13 AM

Don't discount TT completely, some of them are VERY quiet. Mine is a cheapo 470 Watt and it is silent.

Corsair is a bit louder than Seasonic (who makes the Corsair units) but some major caps in Corsairs are better quality, higher temp ratings for some reason (brand differentiation??).

Anyway, for what it is worth, after this PC, I am going to buy EXCLUSIVELY Corsair OR Seasonic.

I got lucky on this PSU, but I only now truly appreciate a good PSU after the problems I had with the stock PSU in a Sonata II that died, and I had such a hard time figuring out what my problems were. Not doing that again EVER.
a b ) Power supply
October 27, 2007 2:05:38 AM

tomsonman said:

And which are the new series from Seasonic S12 or M12 and what's the difference ?

The S12 series is non modular and are rated up to 88% efficient. The current S12 series being sold is a newer (this year) generation and part of of 80Plus program for energy efficient PSUs. I have an older generation Seasonic S12 500 and it is extremely quiet.

The M12 series are modular PSU and are rated at slightly lower efficiency of 80% - 85%. They also have two fans one 120mm and one 80mm (or is it 60mm??). Having two fans makes it noisier than the S12, but since it is modular you can better manage the cables.

Between the Seasonic PSUs and Corsair, my preferences are:

#1 - Seasonic S12
#2 - Corsair HX
#3 - Seasonic M12
a b ) Power supply
October 27, 2007 2:06:42 AM

masteryoda34 said:
This thing is totally silent:

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=24500

I bought one recently and it's dead silent. Only con is its a little more expensive.

I wouldn't use it in a very powerful (CPU & GPU) system 'cause the lack of an exhaust fan will increase internal temps.
October 27, 2007 9:00:40 AM

Antec is 500W, which is a little shy. I was hoping to find something arround 600W or more.

Corsair and Seasonic are still my aduts. I Like Seasonic much, the only dissadvantage about S12 is, no cable managment which would get handy as I have pretty small pc case. (Coolermaster - Wavemaster)

But as I'm reading more and more reviews on Seasonic, I don't think any other PSU will fit the bill. Its just so quiet and efficient. :-)

!