I'm certain the answer exists somewhere but I haven't found it.
CTRL-ALT-DEL
shows a list of running processes. What processes must I have running
to still allow XP to function?
Or, the long way, what processes do I not need?

Depends on your system and what's installed. Here's a link for some in-depth
reading on services:

http://web.archive.org/web/20041128084144/www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Alternatively, you can just experiment and find out what works for you and
what doesn't. At least one of the svchost.exe files will shutdown your
system when you stop it. Quite a few of them will respawn when you stop
them. Others will disable system functionality (such as network/internet
connections), while others will just disable some individual program's
functionality.

An alternative is to search Google for the one's that you're concerned
about. Then you can find out what program they're for and decide if you want
to keep them.

The services that run can be modified by going to the Run dialog and typing in

services.msc

and pressing Enter.

Good Luck, and make a backup first!!!