Sign in with
Your question

toms hardware intel fan boy? - Page 2

Last response: in CPUs
October 27, 2007 5:27:35 AM

Good old leap frog. Hope that frog has some leg strength for AMD to job over Intel once again. I still remembered the day when I actually thought I was going to get AM64 X2 4400+. Turns out it became the E4400. :lol: 
October 28, 2007 3:45:38 AM

Quote:
It's a fact: In the past Intel paid Tomshardware to favor them. Everyone knows that.

You know, Ive had my fill of this crap. Im sick of the Intel fanboys calling this an AMD paid site and Im sick of the AMD fanboys calling this an Intel paid site.

So here it is, you make this accusation and call it fact.......you have 24 hrs to provide proof. Other wise you will be banned permenantly. Period.

NovaThunder, Its been 24 hours. You have not responded with evidence to back your accusation. You are banned from hardware permanently.

Everyone can take the hint from this. You make an accusation that THG is being or has accepted payment to favor one manufacturer over another, you damn well better have proof to back that accusation. Otherwise you can join the rest of the fanboys at the other forums and whine all you want there. You wont be coming back here.

Turpit
October 28, 2007 1:44:29 PM

The average person just surfs the web anyway and does little tasks that require very little cpu power, so whats the point in reading pages of reviews if all you do is run a browser. Just buy the cheapest pc in the shop.

Or if you want the best value cpu get this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Pick up a half decent motherboard and you'll be able to drop in a quad core penryn in 2 years time for next to nothing to keep the old boy going.

Or you can take the AMD route in the hope of ever seeing a new processor on the shelf.
Related resources
October 28, 2007 1:48:32 PM

Ummm... if ya use FF with every extention, and have about 50 things that startup when you boot windose.

Heh, I've built my dad a new rig, can't believe the crap he puts on it. :lol: . o O (glad it doesn't slow down like his old XPAMD rig)
October 28, 2007 4:06:14 PM

turpit said:
NovaThunder, Its been 24 hours. You have not responded with evidence to back your accusation. You are banned from hardware permanently.

Everyone can take the hint from this. You make an accusation that THG is being or has accepted payment to favor one manufacturer over another, you damn well better have proof to back that accusation. Otherwise you can join the rest of the fanboys at the other forums and whine all you want there. You wont be coming back here.

Turpit

Finally

Word, Playa.
October 28, 2007 4:59:47 PM

If anyone wants to cry "Freedom of Speech" I remind you that this is not America. This is Tom's Hardware and it's Global. And even if this were America your right to free speech ends once you pass the right-of-way on the side of the street and step onto private property.

Tom's has always allowed people to be critical of its writings, style, and direction. Tom's has even made some changes due to its readership. I agree with Tuprit's decision. If you're going to question the credibility of Tom's with bold statements and say it's been "proven" and not provide the proof, then oh well!

I still don't like the direction that Tom's has gone with the new forum design, but they are getting more on target with their articles lately. Bottom line is, if I found something that was better, I would be there. Although I may disagree with some of what Tom's has done, I appreciate what they do.
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2007 5:43:26 PM

Toms is not in the business of giving equal time to all comers. They write about the stuff enthusiasts want to read about. Right now we are all building Intel systems. Case closed.

October 28, 2007 5:55:48 PM

Don't worry, if/when AMD gets back on top for performance, you'll have a hundred Intelboys in here crying Toms favors AMD. It's been happening like that since I found Toms in 2000. When the 1.4Tbird was out, Intelboys were crying Toms was AMD sponsored and again when the Athlon XP came out (I believe it was the p4 willy out at the time). Then the Northwood p4 came out a brought a little dignity to the p4 line and AMDboys cried about Toms being paid by Intel. Then the Athlon 64.... you get the picture.

This stuff always goes on because there are some people that really take the products these companies make and other people's opinions about those companies too personal. I don't know where THG gets their money, I don't care. But it doesn't make good business sense to do the majority of articles on current gear that the readers/potential readers won't be using (at this point in time AMD).
October 28, 2007 7:05:03 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
If anyone wants to cry "Freedom of Speech" I remind you that this is not America. This is Tom's Hardware and it's Global. And even if this were America your right to free speech ends once you pass the right-of-way on the side of the street and step onto private property.

Tom's has always allowed people to be critical of its writings, style, and direction. Tom's has even made some changes due to its readership. I agree with Tuprit's decision. If you're going to question the credibility of Tom's with bold statements and say it's been "proven" and not provide the proof, then oh well!

I still don't like the direction that Tom's has gone with the new forum design, but they are getting more on target with their articles lately. Bottom line is, if I found something that was better, I would be there. Although I may disagree with some of what Tom's has done, I appreciate what they do.

This message is not directed at you TC, but your message brings up a point, so allow me to clarify something to any who read this.

For the past several years there have been countless individuals who have labeled THG and/or THG Forumz biased. Those claims have not been universal, in fact, they have been split with many claiming THG is AMD biased while others claim THG is Intel biased. The simple fact that disparity between claims of bias exists should be an indicator to anyone with an ounce of logical reasoning capacity that bias does not exist as presented, since opposite biases cannot coexist simultainously. Yet certain individuals persist in clinging to their accusations. Personally, the accusations annoy me, but I do not consider them bannable or violations of TOS. I value freedom of speech and expression far too much. Of equal importance, I also find accusations of bias informative. They tell one or both of 2 things. First, the indivdual making the accusation is not a regular reader of THG or the forums, and/or the reader themselves is biased, seeing only what they want to see.

THG is a hardware review site. The fact is that its reviews of CPUs over the years have favored which ever product gave the best performance. As such, if an individual wishes to use a label to describe THG as biased, they can since THG does and always has demonstrated favoritism towards certain products. That favoritism however has nothing to do with who manufactures a given product, but rather that products relative performance. Simply put, THG
is biased towards the product which performs the best, either overall or within specific catagories which have included but are not limited too speed, capacity, power consumption, value, ease of use, reliability etc. But to anyone who is themselves biased, has only been reading a short while, or jumps into the middle of a given thread, a bias may very well appear to exist. This is indicaive of flaws within that individuals personality or practices, not THG or its forums.

As such, I dont care if someone claims that THG is biased...it tells me that individual lacks one or combinations of intelligence, patience, or experiance. It also tells me that those individuals may be whiners, incapable of accepting reaility, choosing to place their own emotions over fact and thus, not worth paying attention to. So you are all free to exercise your freedom of speech, and make all the claims of bias you want to without fear of banning......up to the point that someone makes a statement which legally consitutes libel, i.e. that THG has accepted remuneration to:
-deliberately present false information
-omit damaging information
-selectively present information for the purpose misleading readers (which is ironic in and of itself since this act sounds precisely like the acts of some of our regular posters, who themselves cry 'bias', doesnt it?)

When any individual makes any such libelous claims, then that individual had best have the evidence to back it up.

So go ahead and run around posting that THG is biased...it only demonstrates your own bias, but when you say THG takes bribes....you're gone.

Turpit
a c 133 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
October 28, 2007 8:14:43 PM

So does this mean i can not bribe you to post some good results for via :) 
October 28, 2007 8:48:29 PM

nukemaster said:
So does this mean i can not bribe you to post some good results for via :) 

If VIA could afford to bribe me....but when your annual revenue is less than a florida panhandler makes, you have no hope. :kaola: 
a c 133 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
October 28, 2007 9:09:25 PM

LOL...

Why am i thinking

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

oppsy...where did that come from
October 28, 2007 10:04:20 PM

The simple truth is that, like car magazine, we all want to see fast product review. I mean, for real. I will never stop to read a review of sub-100$ cpu unless ready to get one next week. I'll stop to read review of "the most powerful cpu" any minutes only because it makes me dream.

It just happen that Intel is by far dominant over AMD right now. Even their low-cost cpu tend to perfrom better then the one from AMD on an equal price-point. Phenom was suppose to change that, but we all know the truth by now. Unless AMD raise the clock a lot, they still can't touch Intel.

Don't get me wrong tough. I just recommand my brother to get a cheap cpu-mobo bunble from tigerdirect.ca with an AMD A64x2 3800+ cpu, all for 120$. With Intel he would have had to get new memory but not with this socket 939 board. He's upgrading from a Northwood 1.8Ghz cpu with a Radeon 9500Pro. That'll be just perfect for HL2 and the like he's playing when not on his PS3 (what a shame ;)  .

In the end, I'd say that AMD is still attractive for very low cost upgrade market. For most other market, Intel rules right now.

My 0.02$!
October 28, 2007 10:58:00 PM

That red text hurts my eyes :( 
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2007 11:02:50 PM

Hehe, well take this...

PoW ... pOw ... BaM ... PoW!!!

Btw, how can you taste the rainbow if you can't look at the red candies?

That felt good to act like a kid for 2 minutes. Ok, I'm done.
October 28, 2007 11:03:39 PM

Sigh, people are always finding something to bitch about. Back when AMD had the lead, everyone was saying THG was biased towards AMD, and now that Intel has the lead, everyone is saying THG is Intel biased. The fact of the matter was, back in the P4 vs A64 days, there was truly no reason to buy a P4, period, it was outperformed by the A64 in nearly every way. Now, the situation has reversed, and for the life of me I can't think of a single reason to get an AMD processor at the present time, the same way that there was no reason to buy a P4 back in the day.

THG's review of the black edition certainly wasn't bashing the processor, they gave it a very positive review. The fact of the matter is, there's very few reasons to go AMD right now, and if THG was pushing AMD processors, I would definitely question their integrity. I've been visiting this site for several years now, and they've always promoted whichever processor was best.

I think the OP is the only fanboy here, upset because they aren't promoting his precious AMD, even though their entire product line sucks right now. I don't have anything against AMD, I love my 3500+, but Intel has the better product line at the moment, there's no way around that.
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2007 11:17:13 PM

Sure the situation is reversed and I remember those days quite well and guess what?... I had a P4 for 3.5 years before swinging to the current AMD 6000+ that I use today.

I like both products, not everyone here can say that. To me, I think those individuals are like football fans that suddenly surface to show their support for their team when they are finally winning. Once their team loses again they will settle down and disappear until the train comes around again.

Both AMD and Intel have been on the losing end of the performance market and they both will be again over and over as long as they are around.

Like I said in another post, unless you are like me, I can't see any of the current Intel enthusiasts back in the day over clocking a P4 while AMD was stomping them a new mud hole in benchmarks.

Anyone that is a true enthusiast for performance will buy the fastest chip available no matter what brand it is. If another company came along and smoked both Intel and AMD half of the market or better would go to brand X

October 28, 2007 11:28:12 PM

Please note that not all enthusiasts are full time gamers and/or OC's. I have been using PC since 1979 and have been building them since 1993 and I'm only a casual gamer and only occasionally OC and then only lightly.
Even though I slightly lean in favour of AMD I build systems based on what I think is better for my self and family. I'm building a AMD system now and it's the best value for money system for me. I built an AMD system for my dauther as she was on a budget but 2 months ago I built a system for my son and Picked an Intel chip as he leaves it on all the time and pushes it a lot.:) 

A true enthusiasts does not always buy the best on the market, just look and car buyers, people have there favourites and stick with them no matter what. Motorbikes is another issue to. Ask a Harley rider what's the best bike out there? In real terms Harleys are about 10years behind in tech, in performance, in handling and such, but they won't change. :pt1cable: 

What I get annoyed about is when people try and force their options on others. I have a real passion for computers
What I find exciting about PC's is building them and talking about them and reading what's happening now and into the future.

I take it as an insult when people question why people buy brand X instead of brand Y. As long as it's good value for money and does what you want the go for it. :??:  If there's good reason to change then thats fine, but in a lot of cases in the forums people try to change posters minds for no good reason, based on personl bias only. Not good enough!!

I don't think Toms it self is biased but there's know doubt that certain reviewers (like a lot of posters on both sides) are biased, and that's to be expected simply human nature. :ange: 

Feel better now. I've had my rant.
October 29, 2007 2:06:46 AM

THG favours Intel now but before conroe, it was clear intel favoured AMD because they had better processors.. however its changed and THG adjusted accordingly. In a sense they arent favoring anyone they are just taking the smart route.
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2007 4:04:46 AM

maverick7 said:
THG favours Intel now but before conroe, it was clear intel favoured AMD because they had better processors.. however its changed and THG adjusted accordingly. In a sense they arent favoring anyone they are just taking the smart route.

Sorry but I had to do it...

Correction:

THG favours Intel now but before conroe, it was clear THG favoured AMD because they had better processors.. however its changed and THG adjusted accordingly. In a sense they arent favoring anyone they are just taking the smart route.

We all do it. ;) 
October 29, 2007 7:20:21 AM

@englandr75 3: nah I'm sure Intel forced their engineers to work with AMD systems, untill they could produce something better ;-p

Otherwise I can nothing but agree with martyjs, neither Intel or AMD is the best for every situation.

About situations when AMD is the best choice I think mine was. I bought my current computer a little more than a year ago(August 2006) at the time Core2Duo was allready beating the X2.
However as I am a student, and don't have the money to buy a new system each year, the Intel way didn't seem as appealing as the AM2 platforms promise of easy upgrades including support for the next generation processor(they had just announced that AM3 processors would fit in AM2 sockets) and at the time it was also possible to build a better system, for the same money, going the AMD way. So far the system has only requiered another GB of RAM and another harddrive, but I do expect to look at a Phenom, if the price/performance gain is high enough, and I doubt I would have that choice if I had build the cheapest Core2Duo system I could have bought at that time(changes of FSB and such)
October 29, 2007 8:10:09 AM

its true amd provides better chips when u have a really low budget,
but most of the people visiting this site dont :) 
thats why intel is more approved here
October 29, 2007 8:31:15 AM

Reading posting carefully I've notice how exusers are really trying to spam thg. One thing that is really noticeable is how they change their names so nobody no's them well Hippocrates that what I say. I tried their site after an invitation to join and I can say they were the problems.
October 29, 2007 9:03:54 AM

Bobjeee thats a misconception, a lot more people than you think are on a budget. You don't need to be loaded with cash to be an enthusiast.
I daresay not all enthusiast necessarily need the latest and greatest either.
Sometimes there are to many assumptions made in life.
I work as a PC tech and a lot of my customers regularly come in a chat about PC developments and tech, and most of them only have mid range machines or less.
What with thinks like kids, mortgages and such there's not always enough money left to buy the latest Quad core or graphics cards.
November 5, 2007 12:07:01 AM

turpit said:
If VIA could afford to bribe me....but when your annual revenue is less than a florida panhandler makes, you have no hope. :kaola: 

Hey watch it....I own two MSI boards with a VIA K8T800 Pro chipsets.....which (if not over clocking) are pretty stable boards.

The problem I find here is that people take themselves too seriously...........seriously........

There are over 6 billion people on this planet and every single one has an opinion.....and if you think what you post on some site really matters in the goings on in the world...think again.........

People would rather know what Brittany ate for breakfast.....

Word..............

• 2 / 2
!