POSSIBLE FAN OR MOBO ISSUE

spazticdeath

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
I'm in the process of finishing up modding my antec 900 case.....The tower is not hooked up to a monitor, or keyboard/mouse, nor has any OS been installed yet. I was merely checking connections and lighting effects of the UV lights.

The mobo is: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L

The CPU fan is: AC Freezer 7 Pro
which is plugged into the cpu fan on the mobo connection.

When power is first turned on the fan seems to want to rotate, and attempts, but never realy turns more than just a bit, say like if you hand someone holding one of your legs and you tried to walk forward and then was brought back because of the leg being held back. This happens for a bit.....I got worried and turned the system off.

I then pluged the cpu fan into the SYSTEM1 fan connection and when the system is turned back on, the cpu fan starts right up like it should.

I experimented and put the cpu fan back into the CPU connecter, and powered up, and again the same thing, but when I rebooted the system, it waited for a few seconds and then would spin up just fine.....what is this?

Will this all fix itself once I get into the bios and fiddle with the settings? Or is this a indicator that either the mobo or the cpu fan is bad? I would think the fan, though I don't know if I can return the fan, as I've painted part of the cpu fan wire (covered with a sleeve) with UV paint....:(

Any idea's folks?

Power supply is a Cosair HX520W

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
It could be that the fan is either not getting enough power from the CPU fan connector on the MOBO, or maybe the fan is not working well.

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
well, i think i know what u mean. i think if im not wrong it happens with me as well. but after a while, the fan will just catch its speed n go normal.

+there is an option for fan settings, go to ur manual ull find it. just disable it. it is something "smart fan" or something like that.

mcidfta200

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
This has happened to me too, but it only happened after I ran some stupid utility from the motherboard cd itself!!! (My fan accelerated like crazy and shut off, I busted out my cat like reflexes and immediately shut off the ps.) Now the fan is screwed for sure, and I know it's the fan because another one works just fine.

ALSO!!! Make sure you don't have one of those restarted "beta BIOS" that they put up, because that will screw with you fan too.