Need feedback on partial build

rpheckenkamp

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Hey everyone,

I've never built a new system before so this is somewhat new to me. I'm wanting to spend up to about $1500 to build a gaming machine that will play Crysis and the others (you know them).

Anyway, this is only partial because I still need to look at what kind of HDD/DVD-RW drives I need to work with this motherboard. Also no case or PSU because those are easy enough to figure out. After I decide on the main parts, I can figure out what kind of PSU I need.

I don't want a quad core processor, so don't worry about that.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=6416892

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Lots of views, no replies. I guess I will give it a go. Honestly, the way things are looking with out a pretty kick ass computer, Crysis is going to be hard.

Looks good unless you want to try an intel system.

You could try:
-Intel Core 2 Due E850 @ 3.0Ghz
-P35 D3SR Mobo

Add a good CPU cooler for the X2 6400+.

If you'd rather try Intel, I'd suggest E6750 (10% slower than the E6850 but much cheaper; a bit faster than the X2 6400+, much cooler, about the same price). GA-P35-DS3R or GA-P35-DS3L (the DS3L does not support RAID and is limited to 4 SATA devices and costs $30 less). If you go with the E6750 you can even overclock a bit without buying a CPU cooler.

Do you need a motherboard with SLI support? If yes, a good one would be Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus.

colwynstein

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
1 question, why do you not want to buy a quad core computer? the price you will pay for a e6600 is 142quid(English so using english prices) and the price for a q6600 is 158quid double the cores for 16 seems totally exceptable, plus crysis is a multi-threaded application and will use all your cores for physics, sound etc. So was just wondering why you didnt want to go for a quad core?

rpheckenkamp

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007

It was my understanding that even Crysis would only use the two cores. I've read alot on it and unless someone is doing alot of stuff with high end applications, 4 cores isn't needed, especially for games.

Tactical76

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
I can't remember which magazine(Maximum PC i think) I read this in but there was an interview with the lead developer for Cyrsis that explained how the game would take advantage of multiple cores, basically the game will take advantage of the quad core setup.