Monitor goes black at certain specific times (ie: loading webpage)

morikal

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Computer:

Running windows XP Pro off a <1 year old SATA harddrive, 2 GB PC2-8500 RAM (corsair twinx)
PSU is a OCZ GameXtream 700W, about a year old
Graphics: 7950 GX2 by EVGA, about a year old
Core 2 E6600

A few days ago I installed nvidia drivers 163.71 (was using 162.18 without problem for a while)
(I uninstalled old drivers, reboot to safe mode, run driver cleaner pro, reboot normal & install new driver)

I started seeing graphical artifacts in games, and nhancer reported it couldn't read the profile XML file for the 163 driver (claimed there was an error in the XML file... I took a look at the line it indicated and it was valid XML, so I'm not sure what was going on). I tried reinstalling the driver. When uninstalling it, I got an error (memory access violation or something similar) right after uninstall (by nwiz)

Now, I still have artifacts (basically, shadows flicker weird).
Yesterday, my monitor started going blank for a few seconds, then coming back up. This would happen when I open my web browser, navigate to a new page, switch tabs in my browser....

I also had a BSOD caused by my video driver DLL (NV4_DISP.DLL) when trying to start up a game.

My thought is that it is the power supply, but it is odd that it started right when I installed the new driver (I tried installing the old one again... still had same graphical artifacts in character shadows in more than one game, all on the Source engine... non-source games didn't have artifacts that I saw)

Anyone know of anything I can try other than the PSU?

morikal

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
I did use driver cleaner pro v1.5, and I have done a total of 4 reinstalls (3 of 163, and 1 where I tried going back to 162 without a change in the artifacts, in all of them I used driver cleaner 1.5 from safe mode)

Update: I checked all the plugs to my UPS unit, and while none of them seemed loose, now I don't get the blackout with the monitor, but hellgate london freezes during character creation, which would indicate some problem still occurring (I had no problem during beta hellgate).