Building myself again!? System advice high end PC

jb77

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
Hi all,

I'd want to have a new computer for around christmas time.

Had 2 dell top of the range models as my last 2 buys, they lasted me 5 yrs each and to be honest without big problems. At the same time I read articles how much cheaper and better it is to build yourselve especially high end, I used to assemble my own before these (thats what havin a job does for you!)

So... appreciate your help on speccing a system that should be similar or better to the Dell H2C 720 I was looking at that costed around 3 kGBP with 24" screen including recommending where to buy.

The purpose of the system is gaming and video editing, I'e like it to be quality, stabile, quiet and it preferably doesnt look like a mad gaming machine and for less than the Dell (2kGBP possible?)

Also appreciate if you could consider any upcoming technology worth waiting for a few months

thanks!

Mr Cipher

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
From what I've heard, intel is coming out with a new 45nm process, and AMD is coming out with their quad-core "phenom" processors which may possibly be worth waiting for.

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
Build your own for cheaper. You DONT want it to look like gaming machine? You'll want a full tower case.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129017
This is the case I would've gotten without the need to look like a mad gaming machine.
I have no idea howmuch 3k GBP is but if it's 7k in american it's alot and enough to get.

Q6600 get it water cooled
2x BFG 8800 GTX water cooled edition
2x 150GB Raptor HD then raid them
Any size data HD you want
Asus Striker Extreme motherboard
Cruical 800 mhz RAM

all the other extra crap put together should cost anymore then 5k american and it would hell of a machine the case is made to be silent the water cooling should help. raptors could a bit loud idk i've never gotten one