Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2007 7:54:52 PM

Here is the final assembly stages which took a few days:

It is getting really busy in here:

not easy to get the monitor in there but it fits great:

the left side:

this view really looks sweet:

the back side, I have Nanboshi connectors instead of C13 and USB:

the left side showing wide angle diffuser air intake, speaker and lifting handle:

Lots of info avaliable on the front bezel:

time to get this thing to breath some fire:

the gauges from the game look great with the front panel

Compared to the concept drawing it looks great:

The specs are:
Saxon Computers Hemmed LCD Case with Keyboard Slide
4 Honeycomb Airflow Straighteners from Saxonpc.com
GIGABYTE GA-965QM-DS2 LGA Q965 Express Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
eVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB Superclocked PCI Express Video Card
Western Digital Raptor X WD150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
HIPER HPU-4B580 12V v2.2 580W Power Supply
OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 (loaner chip employee benefit)
ViewSonic's 20.1" VX2025wm widescreen LCD
HIPER HCK-1S18- Silver Slim Clavier Keyboard
Sony NEC Optiarc 18X DVDSATA Model AWG170S-B2
AeroCool TURBINE 1000 120mm Fan
LINKSYS WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router
HAWKING HWUG1 USB 2.0 Wireless-G Adapter with Removable Antenna
ALTEC LANSING Speakers
Logitech 931379-0403 Cordless Notebook Mouse
Fieon Digital HYN104-BLU 4-Port Hub

Work is dedicated to Lyn Hofhine, my mother, who lost her hard drive to breast cancer June 18th

Thanks to:
Barry Sharp &
Shawn Erickson for endless questions and listening to verbal updates
Slaymate and Hardware Hell for sporting my worklog and questions
Logan Goodenough for sacrificing dad playtime for PC building time.
Charlie FM 97.1
Donna Essenburg for her great customer service
October 20, 2007 8:11:50 PM

Wow, very nice. Looks very cool.
October 20, 2007 8:17:40 PM

I gotta admit man, that's pretty trick! Well done!

What are the temps like? Is it difficult to keep cool?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 20, 2007 8:28:42 PM

So, the LCD has to come out to access the MB, etc.?
October 20, 2007 8:39:52 PM

Holy crap... If you can manage to keep temps pretty cool, the LCD isolated from most of the hardware heat, and still make it easy-to-tinker-with case, then I seriously suggest you go to Antec or Thermaltake or another big case manufacturer and sell this design. Because it looks great for those are on the move and don't want to lose performance due to the use of laptops and those who don't have much space in their homes. Really great idea, I wish I had one...
October 20, 2007 9:09:05 PM

That is awesome that looks great.
October 20, 2007 9:44:50 PM

All thats left to say is when are you shipping it out to me?
October 20, 2007 9:53:45 PM

Wow, that's one fine case mod!
October 20, 2007 10:04:48 PM

Thanks for all the great comments. The hard drive is the warmest running item in this case. The honeycomb flow straightener on the input ensures that the MB and monitor never share heat.
you can access any panel at any time. I made the frame so I could do that. My other acrylic cases used blocks to assemble, so if you removed more than 1 panel it started falling apart. this stays up with any one panel on or removed. Here are some more pics of the keyboard and LCD cover:

Hre is a close up of the seams, all the front panels were cut at 45 degrees to show as much of the framing as possible and make one visable seam.

October 20, 2007 10:20:29 PM

How much did it cost you to build that? (The case only) Since I can't seem to ever get enough money to buy a new case I was thinking maybe about building one. I'm wanting it to be a true air cooling behemoth, do you have any guidelines/tips? Maybe I'll actually stop playing games for a week or so to get it done.
October 20, 2007 10:29:55 PM

cost, oh geez. the aluminum was only like $30, it is about $40 worth of plexi (if you buy the whole sheet for $80)
the thin aluminum I got free from a ATE tester from work. So not even $200 worth of materials to make the case itself. But over 300 hours designing, drilling, filing, sanding.. Even at $1 an hour it was costly. I bought a $10 case from newegg to get the start and reset switches because it was cheaper than the switches themselves.
Unless you have a serious need to build, and like making a mess. I think even I will buy a case in the future so I can spend more time on the game playing :bounce: 
October 20, 2007 10:34:40 PM

Ah yes... I'm made to destroy not create anyway (That's why I'm getting CRYSIS! haha). Hmmm I guess I could mod my case, but im not into pretty... I'm into cooling so. I'm going to try find a 140mm fan, drill a hole on top, and set a fan there. I could set another fan below the GTS me thinks, also drill a few holes for fans on the plastic door.

Oh OH! And the front has a door, I'll rip that apart and drill more holes for more fans. This is going to cost me like $20... (Fans) But going to be so worth it! Hooray! Going for an Antec 900-like cooling, but better... The Emp Sixteen Hundred !
October 20, 2007 11:50:43 PM

Very nice design and build!
October 21, 2007 5:32:37 AM

I got around to getting some lighted shots.

You can see alot of what is going on with the lights on:

I like the lights on those fans, for one I could not get thtem to be switchable, and they glow very faint diffused LED's, not bright like some fans.

I was a little worried the diffuser would make noise as it does it's work, but it is dead quiet and you can tell it is drawing air very even.

Here is a 1/2 dark shot so you can see the body too.

I may go back in and add a regular 2.0 amp, oh man that will be sweet to have this baby crank some good tunes too. It goes plenty loud for gaming and youtube, but not for a party PC 7.2 surround
October 21, 2007 6:25:02 AM

WWII Online?
October 21, 2007 6:34:17 AM

wow!! love that sliding keyboard thing! really awesome build with good specs!
October 21, 2007 7:30:53 PM

So where does the coffee come out?
October 21, 2007 7:44:29 PM

It's very nice! Makes me wish I had more free time on my hands for things like that... AND the technical/mechanical skills necessary to pull something like that off.
October 22, 2007 6:02:45 AM

Thanks for the comments. This took so much space apart, keeping track of all the parts was the toughest thing.
The two request for photos I have recieved of course were from Shawn and Barry, the folks I thanked for many electronics Q: they wanted to see more pics of the connector to the ouside world, and Barry wanted to see something on the monitor more interesting than WWII Online (Yaaaaawn) He was bored on that game. :pfff:  So here is some other screen shots, anyone got tips on filming the LCD?

And the connector to the outside world. Only the 3 pin AC, rated at 10amp, and the 5 pin for gaming joystick. I may order another 5 pin and hook it USB, but I rarely use USB 'cept for the camera. These Nanaboshi connectors are from Kinetic Technologies of Ohio. They are a great vendor and really helped me ascertain the right configurations.

I also meant to post this pic of the LCD cover being removed.

And it was noted that the last pics I posted the wires look pretty messy.
Considering is has all the PC wires and wires usually running behind the desk I think it turned out OK for 2 days of soldering. Here is how the wires look before the monitor goes in.

And one pic of the top which was not posted.

October 22, 2007 7:44:47 AM

Nice build! I could build something like this, if I had the time and $ to do it :)  So when is the 30" model coming out?
October 22, 2007 8:25:55 AM

dude this is by far the coolest case I've ever seen!
October 23, 2007 3:47:22 AM

thanks oriveron, you do me too much honor :)  I was inspiried by many great builders and need to store everything when done.
I was at work using a 24 inch wide Dell, and it was such a sweet monitor, but a case that big would be
a monster. But I am ready to own one, where is my file....
October 23, 2007 4:00:46 AM

All you need is some straps to carry that system with and you have a one bitchin' LAN system!! Nice job BTW. I could see this being copied by others, because of the basic design of it all :) 
October 23, 2007 5:40:35 AM

nice case bro, i love it. nice job
October 23, 2007 5:51:38 AM

lunyone said:
All you need is some straps to carry that system with and you have a one bitchin' LAN system!! Nice job BTW. I could see this being copied by others, because of the basic design of it all :) 

It has lifting/ carrying handles on it allready. these are actually boat handles from the shipstore.com, I liked them
best after looking for recessed pulls. And the clear cover makes sure you don't get to the LAN and be saying :cry:  scratched my monitor. I need to find a way to weight the entire thing accuratly. I set out to make it lighter than my 19 inch HP CRT, which it is by far. But I do not know the weight yet.
See the chrome handles at the bottom:

October 23, 2007 7:55:50 AM

yeah I saw the chrome handles! Nice job there, I was just saying that it would be cool to have some straps that would go around it and allow you to put it on your back or something. This was just an idea, not that you method has any problems.
October 23, 2007 11:06:47 AM

This is an amazing case mod my friend, but I see you got some extra unused space in that sucker which I bet you could put into good usein the future. Maybe remove all fans and put a watercooling set up, all internal without noticing anything from the outside. Also, I got a question for ya. The keyboard sliding out and all is great but that limits you to a distace of about 30cm, maybe 40cm from a 20" monitor. That can't be good for your eyes mate, or maybe I'm wong?
October 23, 2007 1:23:44 PM

very cool but whats a nan hoochie, whatchamacallit connectors?
October 23, 2007 4:01:07 PM

blashyrkh said:
This is an amazing case mod my friend, but I see you got some extra unused space in that sucker which I bet you could put into good usein the future. Maybe remove all fans and put a watercooling set up, all internal without noticing anything from the outside. Also, I got a question for ya. The keyboard sliding out and all is great but that limits you to a distace of about 30cm, maybe 40cm from a 20" monitor. That can't be good for your eyes mate, or maybe I'm wong?

I measured several workstations and found that 7-8 inches is common for distance from keyboard to monitor. The keyboard is not wireless just internally wired, so you can take it out if you want, to put on your lap.
My keyboard usually does not move much on the desktop I have. It started as a single slide and that was too short. It feels quite comfortable typing on it so far.
As far as water cooling, this is heavy enough, but a full aluminum case like this could take it. Or thicker plexi sides.
I am allready trying to find ways to use the empty spaces... :whistle: 
October 23, 2007 4:08:12 PM

warezme said:
very cool but whats a nan hoochie, whatchamacallit connectors?

Nan-hoochie, that is too funny. I saw these Nanaboshi connectors on a piece of equipment at Intel and I thought it would go great with the theme. And being able to avoid using a C13 connector, that is ugly and you have to push the case 1/2 over to put them on sometimes sounded good to me. They were$30 and $10 for the screw on caps, and $10 for shipping, but I like the way they are keyed, and they screw on easy and look great.
Here is the link to Kinetic Tech where I got them, the pic shows the whole connector. They could not be easier to solder up and use. thanks for the input. now I want a shirt that says Nana-Hoochie :pfff: 

http://www.kinetictechnologies.cc/nanaboshi.htm
October 23, 2007 4:10:09 PM

lunyone said:
yeah I saw the chrome handles! Nice job there, I was just saying that it would be cool to have some straps that would go around it and allow you to put it on your back or something. This was just an idea, not that you method has any problems.
Being I have lifted it only once I may just do that... Once the novelty wears off I will be toting it alot, but for now it just sits on the table
November 13, 2007 3:52:08 AM

I added another diffuser to the other side to feed the video card and PSU. So I was able to take a few pics of the hardware from this side:

The new right side:

And upgraded to extreme turbine fans because they lost some power running through the bus.

I also made these images to mess with my friend who said I was going to burn this PC up:

November 13, 2007 4:06:30 AM

omg that is so sweet!!!!

by the way what do you mean they lost some power running through the bus?
November 13, 2007 4:23:43 AM

Thanks Maverick7 One of the reviews I read about this bus said there was some voltage drop on the output. All busses do seem less powerful than direct connect to the PSU.
November 13, 2007 4:40:55 AM

lol
lol
lol
November 13, 2007 9:23:49 AM

It's gorgeous.
November 13, 2007 12:04:36 PM

*is speechless for that is one sweet case*
November 13, 2007 12:52:51 PM

Brilliant! Love that case.

I don't have 300 hours to put one together either....but how much would it cost you to have the local 'I need $$$' guy do that part for you?
November 13, 2007 3:13:03 PM

Very cool. A handle on the top of it would probably let it be carried much like an old Kaypro, but oh so much nicer to use!
November 13, 2007 5:01:50 PM

You have great skills!
Wish I could build something like that.
November 14, 2007 12:34:40 AM

Dude seriously this is one of the best case mods i ever seen. you should enter this in a competition seriously.
November 14, 2007 1:47:08 AM

First of all, congratulations! One of the best modding I've seen.

The design is really useful, I would pay more for that, that's the difference between most case modding that are just nice. If cases like that were in the market they would be quite popular =).
November 14, 2007 2:21:33 AM

:thumbsup:
November 14, 2007 3:32:05 AM

Seikent said:
First of all, congratulations! One of the best modding I've seen.

The design is really useful, I would pay more for that, that's the difference between most case modding that are just nice. If cases like that were in the market they would be quite popular =).

Thank you for all the great comments. I wish I had the capacity to start making these in quantity, even in aluminum, I have heard many people say they like the design. I have written to many case makers but I have yet to get a reply.
I really like the portability and 2 second set-up time in a new location so far.
November 14, 2007 4:42:54 AM

mford66215 said:
Brilliant! Love that case.

I don't have 300 hours to put one together either....but how much would it cost you to have the local 'I need $$$' guy do that part for you?

The materials in the frame were only like $60. As long as you have a 8-10 degree tilt on the front and a space for drives, you could probably get one made pretty cheap. Seperating the access panel/keyboard from the PC for airflow is one of the biggest challenges.
November 15, 2007 6:42:26 AM

I opened the left side today and upgraded to 2000 RPM fans, the 1000's only would run at 960 through the bus. Now I can run at 1300 and it is still dead quiet.

and a closer shot of the MB and DVI cable, and USB port.
November 15, 2007 7:18:36 AM

quite possibly the most creative case mod i have ever seen.....great job dude, i am jealous of your skills! keep up the great work
!