Sign in with
Your question

Need help picking new card x1950pro or something w/ dx10

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 2, 2007 6:52:02 AM

Ok, first of all, let me say I've read all the posts, but I'd like to hear from someone that actually has or has seen the cheaper dx10 cards in action (when i say cheeper, i mean like ~160$). Because I'm looking at some YouTube videos of say x2600xt's and I'm not seeing that "major" difference people are talking about (the x1950pro being so much quicker). I had a x1950pro 512mb/256bit from PowerColor, and I love that thing. It needed to be RMA'd because it started making problems. So now I'm wondering..:

Should I get the same card?
Should I get something about same price range with DX10?

I don't really play on more than 1280 resolution... So those of you who have some knowledge about this, would you guide me a little bit.?

Thanx for your time.
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2007 7:14:33 AM

What games do you play?
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2007 2:09:10 PM

What resolution do you game at?
Related resources
November 2, 2007 5:09:04 PM

randomizer said:
What games do you play?

Umm.. nothing in perticular, I like to change games alot. Stuff like NFS, COD3 when it gets here...

WR2 said:
What resolution do you game at?

max is 1280 X whatever fits nice on my screen.

Oh, and let me say that I don't care about DX10 itself, because I think it still looks like crap, and NO WAY IN HELL am i changing to Vista.

a c 169 U Graphics card
November 2, 2007 5:22:38 PM

X1950 is better than 2600XT, so i say get a X1950 again , because the cheapest and good Geforce 8 card is 8800GT which is $250(8600GT and 2600XT are cheaper than it but they dont perform as good as your X1950)
November 2, 2007 5:27:29 PM

Hmm....tough choice. Your good in not going with DX10 because on a sub $200 card, DX10 would look pretty bad.

On that note, are you needing to buy right away? I'm assuming you don't have onboard or another card that you could use for a little while.

If you can wait, you might want to see about the new mid-range ATI cards coming out mid november. I hear they will range from $150-$250. I also hear that the 8800GT 256MB will be ~$199.

However, if you cannot wait, I would probably get the same card. I'm sorry, I don't really have much information on sub-200 dollar cards floating around in my head right now.
November 2, 2007 7:00:02 PM

mcidfta200 said:
Umm.. nothing in perticular, I like to change games alot. Stuff like NFS, COD3 when it gets here...

max is 1280 X whatever fits nice on my screen.

Oh, and let me say that I don't care about DX10 itself, because I think it still looks like crap, and NO WAY IN HELL am i changing to Vista.

Why the Vista bashing still? Yes it does not perform as well as XP as of right now, but eventually the XP boat is gonna sink just like the 98' boat sank. Not to mention XP is going through its 3rd service pack next year, I can assure you that if Vista had 500+ patches/fixes/updates it would be quite optimized too, but were not there yet, but conisdering you rig is going to consist of legacy hardware I wouldn't consider Vista either. But in the upcoming year there will be plenty of patches/dx10games and the sort coming out. I personally picked up an OEM of vista basic for $73 since im doing a dx10 rig that will have a decent upgradable path. The best part is M$ removed the useless Aero features from basic! That'll save me a little time on tweaking it down.
November 2, 2007 7:09:17 PM

bildo123 said:
Why the Vista bashing still? Yes it does not perform as well as XP as of right now, but eventually the XP boat is gonna sink just like the 98' boat sank. Not to mention XP is going through its 3rd service pack next year, I can assure you that if Vista had 500+ patches/fixes/updates it would be quite optimized too, but were not there yet, but conisdering you rig is going to consist of legacy hardware I wouldn't consider Vista either. But in the upcoming year there will be plenty of patches/dx10games and the sort coming out. I personally picked up an OEM of vista basic for $73 since im doing a dx10 rig that will have a decent upgradable path. The best part is M$ removed the useless Aero features from basic! That'll save me a little time on tweaking it down.

Don't get me wrong... Vista is very nice in it's own way, but it's still more expensive to get it running like XP right now(It requires more ram.. etc), which I frankly don't see the point in upgrading unless, like you said, you're going with dx10.
November 2, 2007 7:16:33 PM

aadamszc said:
Hmm....tough choice. Your good in not going with DX10 because on a sub $200 card, DX10 would look pretty bad.

On that note, are you needing to buy right away? I'm assuming you don't have onboard or another card that you could use for a little while.

If you can wait, you might want to see about the new mid-range ATI cards coming out mid november. I hear they will range from $150-$250. I also hear that the 8800GT 256MB will be ~$199.

However, if you cannot wait, I would probably get the same card. I'm sorry, I don't really have much information on sub-200 dollar cards floating around in my head right now.

Actually, I do have an x1200 on board, and I think I like your idea best... I considered waiting a few more days to see what's going to be available...
btw, did u mean 8800gt 256bit? I can't find a 256mb one.

and about those ATI cards, do you mean the 650?

November 2, 2007 7:25:52 PM

8800GT FTW!
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2007 12:54:19 AM

Vista looks horrible without Aero, it's about the only thing I kinda like about it.
a c 169 U Graphics card
November 3, 2007 11:14:59 AM

randomizer said:
Vista looks horrible without Aero, it's about the only thing I kinda like about it.

yeah u are right , i like the option "Switch between windows " too , it becomes useful sometimes
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2007 2:26:17 AM

TBH I used that once to try it out and never used it again :lol: 
!