Worried about Power Supply.

collins8

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2004
I have a new Corsair CMPSU-520HX 520W power supply, I bought it some tiume ago and I am worried it is too small for my components I have settled on.
My build has an E6750 with a tuniq tower on it with 4gb RAM. I plan to overclock slightly.
My Antec P180 case will have 4 to 5 fans in it. I have one SATA hard drive and two DVR drives.
The part that has me worried I found a killer deal on a PNY 8800GTX video card my friend had and now I am worried about my power supply being too small.
What do you think??

Rob

It's fine, don't worry.

The power calculator gave me 432W even allowing for 3 hard disks and a bunch of PCI cards.

The PSU has 40A on the combined 12V rails, and the card needs 30A minimum.

There are reviewers at newegg who have this PSU with an 8800 GTX and a Q6600. Their systems consume a bit more than yours.

The only problem I see is that the PSU will sometimes work close to its max, i.e. at a lower efficiency than its best. In general a good PSU will have great efficiency (say, 84% for the 520HX) at loads up to about 70% of max capacity, then efficiency starts dropping. That is, with a 620HX instead of a 520HX you might save a few cents in electricity bills every day and have a little less heat. If you didn't have the 520HX already I'd recommend buying a 620HX. Since you have it already, keep it, it will be fine.