Vista driver problem

mr_disco

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Hey guys! I've been seeing this problem around the web at different forums, but most of the sites I found were pretty old, so the updates were outdated. As you may remember from my last post, I've upgraded to Vista Business. I got the RAID 0 working, so thanks to all those who helped! Now I just got my EVGA 8600 gt. I installed it fine the other day I used the latest driver from Nvidia. (163.69_forceware_winvista_32_english_whql), and even ran the demo for CoD4, the next day I sat down and installed the Crysis demo, to see if she (the computer) could handle that. Upon finishing the installation, I was then prompted for a specific Windows update( KB 940105) and obviously, like after most installations, I was asked to restart: This is where my heart stopped beating. Once the computer got to booting, it gets past the BIOS, but before the Vista logo appears: nothing. The monitor is still active, the keyboard will not work(num lock/ caps lock light) and I can let it sit for 30 mins and it will just stay right there. There are no error messages or bad screens, although ONE time I got a messed up BSOD doing this, but I couldn't read any of it because it was all twisted and jarbled. The work around I have so far is I restart in safe mode, and uninstall the driver. Unfortunately I also re-formatted the compy, because I was getting very frustrated and was pretty sure that it would work. It didn't. So now I have a FRESH install of Vista Business, ONLY the graphics card in the MOBO and it continues to not start when the driver installed. I've tried downloading from EVGA's website and NVIDIA released another driver, but that does the same thing. I've even tried what I've learned is a "manual installation" for the driver. Could this be a bad graphics card, or are we dealing with more Vista driver problems. The weirdest thing is three other guys in my office have the EXACT same setup, and their's all work fine. They didn't install that windows update, so that is the only difference.

Please Help!!!! I'm going crazy! I've spent several and I do mean SEVERAL hours on this problem and can't figure out what to do. I know the answer is out there, and I hope one of you guys has it!

~mr_disco

mr_disco

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
*UPDATE*

I reinstalled the driver from the disk that came with the card, and it worked. After restarting a couple times to test its stability, it crapped out too. Now, when I reinstall from the cd, it does what I described above, just like every other driver I've tried.