AMD Preps Socket AM3 Motherboard Designs

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Compatibility
  • AMD
  • Socket
Last response: in Motherboards
November 12, 2007 11:03:41 PM

Good news to AMD users. AMD has DRR3 on the roadmap soon, likely on 2008.

ATI is now gaining speed towards nVIDIA so having socket AM3 with AMD RS780 Northbridge and SB700 South with Crossfire setup was a good future rig.

Socket AM3 procie can be compatible backwards (AM2+) but AM2 cannot be upward compatible. Nice since Intel has so many compatibility issues on LGA775, so many old procie not compatible to new boards and old procie not compatible to new boards although they are in the same socket. (Hard to upgrade/replace using Intel, I am one of the victim, I purchased 3 mobos to replace the defective one before I get the correct one, WTF!)

[:pogsnet]

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9599

More about : amd preps socket am3 motherboard designs

November 12, 2007 11:57:18 PM

so who cares?????? oh yeah just AMD fans
November 13, 2007 1:18:15 PM

boner said:
so who cares?????? oh yeah just AMD fans

Wow, what a useless, fanboy post (irony?).

Everyone should care for 2 big reasons: Firstly, it's AMD's next big chipset, their implementation of DDR3. Secondly, without competition, Intel has no reason to significantly advance their own technology. Or worse, advance it and sell it at ridiculous prices because there's no other players in the market.

I think it's really good news for everyone.
Related resources
November 13, 2007 2:00:57 PM

AMD / ATI is working on board video with it's own ram it is about time for that and that will be a lot better then Intel GMA carp.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2009 4:05:39 PM

yeah well Intel sucks anyway they charge way too much for any processor for example if you look at the most expensive AMD multicore processor it is still cheaper than the cheapest Intel processor (excluding the brand new phenom II x4, only so expensive because it is new).

not to mention that AMD owns ATI and it may be just me but ATI graphics run better with an AMD processor with it ... prob because they are built by the same people, also i have heard (and seen a few) instances when Intel chips have failed and even overheated and burnt out (not from fault of the fan, which again Intel chips don't provide and AMD chips do ... AND STILL KEEP THE PRICE LOW SOMEHOW how do they do it!)
January 31, 2009 12:58:16 AM

Mercury the thing is Intel can raise their price for the fact that AMD can' beat their high-end processors. If Intel was going bad and AMD was doing good then you would be seeing AMD's procesor prices higher than that of Intel's. Its just like saying two fast food resturants making same exact sandwiches, but the one that has a better tasting one will charge more and either you like it or not people will pay more to get the better tasting sandwich over something that doesn't taste so good.
February 1, 2009 7:38:07 AM

im sorry but you guys are all full of crap.

Intel sell their processors for so much because there are people who believe that the performance and quality of items is determined by the price. AMD sell so cheap because it is their attempt to regain control of the market, and because they puch as much as they can out of old architectures while intel spend all their money on new ones. if you are looking for the best stock cpu... then yes, the top of the line intel will probably be better, if you are looking for bang for your buck, then amd. if you are looking at something to overclock really well... intel, if you are looking for something easy to overclock, AMD.. if you want compatibility with graphics, better optimization and a faster bus speed, AMD.

If you are as much of a noob as all the guys above, get a console
February 1, 2009 7:46:01 AM

mercury... not so much of a retard
February 1, 2009 9:57:49 AM

Someone getting pissed over internet sounds not so much retarded, and all we did was provided just an example. The problem with you Saars is that you have no understanding what a person is trying to say, but since you don't understand the logic that when the competitor is doing better they will charge more no matter what. Because people have the craving to buy the best, and in my opinion you lack that knowledge. Maybe, you need to go out in the real world and explore a little more. K Thanks :) 
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2009 10:39:16 AM

well Microsoft came to power but undercutting the price of their operating system against their competitors i figure that is what AMD are trying to do, their market share is growing like it or not. also AMD can afford to price it so low because they invest as much in manufacture as they do in design were Intel invest the minimum in manufacture, further more AMD like to follow in the wake of Intel to save costs ie Intel released DDR3 compatible stuff and DDR3 cost's and arm and a leg, so AMD purposely delayed there launch of DDR3 tech when the price of DDR3 RAM was lower and more widespread (after Intel invested in it) .. smart move by AMD but it dose make Intel for a Brief few of months the market leaders for sure but on the whole barely anything in it.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2009 10:43:44 AM

gotrice said:
Mercury the thing is Intel can raise their price for the fact that AMD can' beat their high-end processors. If Intel was going bad and AMD was doing good then you would be seeing AMD's procesor prices higher than that of Intel's. Its just like saying two fast food resturants making same exact sandwiches, but the one that has a better tasting one will charge more and either you like it or not people will pay more to get the better tasting sandwich over something that doesn't taste so good.

they key part there is you say they cant beat the high end but if you re-read what i was saying the price of the low end Intel tech is still more than the high end AMD tech which is better by far. ps bad example to use restaurants ... it just made me hungry, and also if they were the same "sandwiches" (umm foooood) they they would have the same sockets wich i would love just for once to use whatever mobo i like.
!