Help with System Problem? Ideas?

Patience_Truth

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
I'd like to know what's wrong with my computer...

First of all, here are my specs:

-AMD Athlon X2 4600+ (2.4GHz)

-Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 Nforce 4 SLi MB

-Ultra 500W PSU

-Foxconn Geforce 8800GTS 320MB (575Mhz core/1800Mhz Memory/1400MHz Shader)

-2GB PC6400 800MHz Mem. (dual channel)

-400GB SATA/300 7200RPM HDD (made by Seagate)

-18x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive (made by LG)

-Sound Blaster Audigy SE

-19" Monitor by LG (1280 X 1024 resolution)

-Windows Vista Home Premium

So here's the thing, out of nowhere a few months ago, my machine gave me A LOT of bluescreens. I couldn't fix it so I reinstalled Windows XP. It STILL gave me bluescreens. It would not install any games. It said that there was corruption in some of the files and that the "installation has to abort." So I got a new optical drive and a new hard drive. I installed them and I thought that the problem was fixed. WRONG. It started doing the same thing. So I tried putting in another video card I had lying around. For a week, there were no problems. Then out of nowhere, again, it gave me those same bluescreens. So I ruled out a video card problem. I also ruled out an optical drive or hard drive problem. So that leaves me with a few possible problems: the motherboard is defective, the processor is defective, or the memory is defective. I don't think the memory is defective because it is virtually brand new. I got it recently. So that leaves the processor or the motherboard. Hmmm... Now that I think of it, it could be the PSU.... Well, what do you guys think?

And as a side question, what do you think I should upgrade on my machine that would be relatively cheap and effective in making my machine even faster?

Thanks everyone.

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Hmm..While your PSU isn't the greatest, I don't see why it would cause a BSOD. If you happen to have a friend, you could try swapping parts out. That is really all I can say to help. Never really been good with problem-solving. =\

Faster for what? Gaming? Be more specific.

What video card do you have?

Looking at your current specs I'd say since you have a decent amount of Ram I'd go for a faster CPU like the 5600, 6000 or the 6400 depending on your budget. And with Windows Vista you could stand to run 4 gigs of ram but 2 should do if your budget doesn't permit.

I have the same motherboard that you do and it works great for me. I am running the 6000+ CPU and an 8800 GTX ACS3 KO 768mb EVGA video card and score nearly 11,000 on futuremark06.

The only time I ever get a blue screen is when I try to start a game with dvd43 running. It will immediately give me the BSOD but it usually tells me the system recovered from a serious error and will provide a link to microsoft to pinpoint the software that was conflicting.

Not sure that is your issue but it could be. Most likely its a software conflict of some type.

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Lol, this happened to me while ago, ended up being HDD damaged due to faulty PSU, later the psu started smoking, that gave the culprit away.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Set your BIOS to default, check your voltages in BIOS, increase your memory voltage 1 or 2 increments above the default voltage.

Run Memtest.

If voltages are under by more than 5% I would get a new power supply.
Newegg has the PCPower 470 watt PSU for under 80 Dollars.

Update all your device drivers.

Check for virus, mallware, and trojans.

Run a vista repair install.

shawn26il

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
Had the same problem!!! In fact, I'm waiting on an RMA from tigerdirect.com, had an MSI board, bluescreening and all that, reinstalled vista multiple times, still the same things. Had known good ram and hdd's, and known good dvd burner. Still the same things, swapped IDE cables, still problems. Left PC off a few days, went to boot it, and it didn't detect any hard drives, floppy drives, dvd burners, nothing. Just saw chip, memory, etc. Pulled CMOS battery, reset bios settings, nothing.

I know some people say ultra isn't great, but I used one of their PSU's for about 3 years straight with no problems.

Long story short, my belief for my case is that the IDE channels on the board, where all the hard drives and everything plugs in, were gone. My bios didn't recognize anything after what I told you, but before, it kept giving me blue screens, sometimes within a few minutes, sometimes not for an hour or 2. Bad as you will probably hate me, I'd say check the mobo.

LOL expected with MSI