Hooking up computer to LCD TV with VGA

duncanbell

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
I have a Toshiba Regza LCD 32" TV (not exactly, but very similar to, http://www.home-entertainment.toshi...sf/pages/lcdplasma-regza-32wlt68?opendocument), which I would like to use as my monitor for my desktop PC. I have an Inno3d GeForceFX 5900XT (http://inno3d.com/products/graphic_card/gf_fx/5900xt.htm) graphics card, and connect the two using a VGA cable straight into the TV VGA port. The problem that I have is that when I connect the two and turn the power on, I see the first screen of my computer loading, saying press delete to go to Bios etc., and calculating how much RAM I have etc. then after that the TV screen goes blank and flickers as though I'm very quickly constantly changing the TV channel to the PC input. After this has happened for a bit, it then changes to the windows loading screen (black background, windows logo and the blue 'loading' bar), completes that, and then goes to flickering as before at the time it should be showing my desktop. It then stays like this no matter how long it's left.

This set up has worked before, the flickering happened when starting up as it does at the moment, but it showed the desktop and worked fine after startup, so I know my set up is capable, I just hope I'm missing something obvious. My computer is set to 800x600 resolution and 16-bit colour.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

G

I don't know if this will help or not but I had a similar problem with my TV when I had wrong display settings. I wasnt using it with a computer, just with my V+ box, I set the v+ box to the wrong HDTV setting and it couldn't hold the channel without flicking back and forth. So maybe the display settings on your computer need to be different? maybe its something else.

G

I think i know the answer! Your VGA output probably does not support the refresh rate of your television. They support the refresh rate 60-80 Hz.
Sorry on my bad english!

G

Download the program Powerstrip, that will let you set any kind of custom resolution and refresh rate, and tweak the aspect ratio with the custom timing settings you can play with. The free version is more than enough to get your LCD TV, which actually happens to be the exact same one I have, to look as best as possible when connecting via VGA. I am using an old ATI graphics card and Powerstrip seems to have no limitations even though my graphics card is 4 years old minimum.