Sign in with
Your question

EVGA 8800GT regular comes overclocked?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 2, 2007 10:22:39 PM

I just got my 8800GT from EVGA, the normal version with no overclocking, and GPU-z says 650 for the core, 950 for the memory, and 1625 for the shader clocks. Anyone else see this?
November 3, 2007 2:18:49 AM

I got the same thing. I got the normal version from EVGA and riva tuner 2.06 is reading my card as 650/1625/950...I thought it was some sort of error with the older riva version but the 2.06 says that...interesting.
November 3, 2007 5:16:17 AM

Does that mean rivatuner is messed up or you got lucky? My original 8800gt from my setup will be here in five days ;( I hope mine is overclocked.
Related resources
November 3, 2007 2:23:00 PM

rivatuner, gpu-z, and sisoftsoft all say the same clock speeds.
November 3, 2007 4:21:48 PM

gscrugg2...
What is your idle temp on your 8800 GT...speedfan reports mine to be around 50-52...I'm just curious...and i have very poor case/air circulation.
November 3, 2007 4:42:27 PM

Mine idles @ 47, but i increased the fan speed to 45% as opposed to the 29 or w/e it started on.
November 3, 2007 5:15:14 PM

From what I've read, you can crank your GT to 728/1050 stable and get 3DMark06 scores of around 12,246 which beats a stock GTX. really amazing for a $260 card. Just use RivaTuner to overclock it. If you want to know how, just Google "RivaTuner Tutorial". Once you know how, it's VERY easy.
November 3, 2007 5:19:52 PM

I spoke to the tech support guy at EVGA and he said that there is NO PHYSICAL DIFFERENCE between their stock card and their SSC Card ($30 more) except for a pretty sticker on the card and on the box. It's really just a gimmick for people that don't know how to OC.

They just factory OC and bios flash that will make ur card run hot when not gaming. Better off with stock.
November 3, 2007 5:41:52 PM

Flashing BIOS voids warrenty though.
November 3, 2007 5:51:09 PM

Hatman,

Yes, but why flash your BIOS? You want to run your card as slow as it will go when just doing desktop apps to keep the fan quiet and the gpu cool and then crank it up when playing games. That's easy to do with RivaTuner and no BIOS flashing required.

Do I really want to listen to a 100% fan when I'm just surfin the web? Nope. Gimme stock and RivaTuner any day.
November 3, 2007 8:53:09 PM

does overclocking void EVGAs warranty? or no
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2007 10:12:28 PM

How are they going to tell ? All they require is that the card is returned in its original box in its original cosmetic condition ie no stickers/aftermarket fans etc.
So if it looks exactly like it did when you installed it its all good.
If you do something like flashing the bios then they would know but normal ocing is done in software so ther is no physical evidence it was ever done(unless you fry it of course) :lol: 
mactronix
November 3, 2007 10:57:39 PM

Can you replace the stock cooler if you replace it with an aftermarket
November 3, 2007 11:41:25 PM

Silverion77 said:
does overclocking void EVGAs warranty? or no

No.

Silverion77 said:
Can you replace the stock cooler if you replace it with an aftermarket

Yes.

November 18, 2007 1:13:29 AM

Hey guys, what would be the benefit of flashing the BIOS on the card? I have been trying to OC mine for a while and I have had no look. I am just using RivaTuner and just moving the Core and Memory speeds, not touching the Shader Clock speeds, and haven't had much luck.

I have the Stock EVGA 8800GT, I put it up to 625/950, and it artifacts. Any suggestions? Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2007 1:41:28 AM

Reasons to flash the BIOS:

1) If you don't use windows, no other way to OC that I know of.
2) Means you don't need to have programs starting up and hogging resources just to change clock speeds and stuff.
3) Software volt mods! (for ATI at least, I think Nvidia put a stop to that in their recent cards at least)
4) The min/max clocks available in Rivatuner and other 3rd party programs are based on the BIOS clocks. You bump those up, you increase the min/max clocks in Rivatuner too. Though this isn't really much of a reason unless you do volt mods or use LN2 to get past those original limits.
5) e-peen

Reasons not to flash your card:

1) Voids warranty (meh)
2) Can screw the card and give you no output if you set bad clocks or flash a corrupt BIOS. This is recoverable, so is not really much problem.

I wrote a guide for both nvidia and ATI flashing on another forum that I haven't posted here because AFAIK there are already some here. I think they are a bit out-dated though (at least the ATI one is).

@MitchellVII: Sure you can set your card to run slow in Rivatuner, but not that slow. With a BIOS flash, you can potentially run it slower still, and with lower voltage. You can also adjust the fan speed settings, though I'm not sure if it is as flexible. And as for the prices, the difference between the stock and SSC cards in Australia is like $150.
November 18, 2007 1:48:02 AM

So do you have any idea why mine is being a pain? Should I try cranking the fan all the way up? It is happening in Crysis the most, is Crysis the culprit? I didn't think these cards were that difficult.

Also, do I have to do anything in the PowerUser section to gain better stability? Thanks
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2007 1:55:42 AM

The PowerUser section is all registry hacks, so it's unlikely to make any noticeable stability differences. What temps are you getting in a gaming session in crysis?
November 18, 2007 2:22:06 AM

I got the same regular video card 8800gt but it came overclocked as well.
November 18, 2007 2:49:58 AM

randomizer said:
The PowerUser section is all registry hacks, so it's unlikely to make any noticeable stability differences. What temps are you getting in a gaming session in crysis?

I haven't been able to check it yet, but for the most part it maybe peaks at 80-90c at the most. I will definitely have to double check though.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2007 2:51:44 AM

That's pretty warm (though not dangerous), improve your case airflow or up the fan speed a bit.
November 18, 2007 2:05:45 PM

So this is probably the culprit? It wouldn't be a bad batch or anything right? Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2007 9:36:17 PM

It's possible, but it does work at stock which is all it is designed to do. Just because a card doesn't OC like others doesn't mean it's a "bad batch" per se, it's just not a good one ;) 

Remember that a card is made to run at stock only, anything beyond that is luck of the draw, and is never guaranteed (unless it is factory overclocked) no matter how many other people can get insane overclocks. There are probably some C2D E6x00 chips that can't even get to 3GHz let alone 5GHz+ that some liquid nitrogen cooled chips can get to.

Right now I'd work on trying to get that thing running cooler.
November 29, 2007 7:07:10 PM

gscrugg2 said:
I just got my 8800GT from EVGA, the normal version with no overclocking, and GPU-z says 650 for the core, 950 for the memory, and 1625 for the shader clocks. Anyone else see this?

Mine is too! I got mine through StepUp, I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Whatever, FREE MHz!!! :pt1cable: 
November 29, 2007 10:03:05 PM

Wait guys, You mean when you bought your EVGA card it said on the listing and on the box Stock 600MHz and 900mem, but when you started up the computer it said 650 and 950????????????
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 29, 2007 10:28:25 PM

Send it back, thats false advertising! :kaola: 
November 29, 2007 11:16:04 PM

That rocks for you guys and sucks for me because I bought the superclocked version which is labeled as 650 and 950. Lame!
November 30, 2007 1:27:17 AM

yeah ive read that all stock eVGA 8800GT = eVGA 8800GT Superclocked...

its actually seems illegal to me..to price them differently..when all you get is a word ("Superclock") on the box...which ends up costing $10 more...according to their website.

I got a eVGA 8800GT Superclocked for $249 (less than current stock 8800GT from eVGA site) before price gouge started...so I don't feel bad...but still...either I want better performance than people without "Superclock" or I want them to send me $10 in the mail. I don't think a word is worth $10...
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2007 1:29:11 AM

It is borderline legal at best.
November 30, 2007 2:37:55 AM

Man that does suck for all of up Superclocked owners. I feel like I want to complain except they are doing so well with their corss shipping and paying shipping fees both ways on a defected card I got. I better keep my mouth shut for now until this deal has already been taken care of. I did pay 299.99 for my Superclocked version.
November 30, 2007 2:41:41 AM

It just occured to me that they probably started running out of the lower end 600Mhz cards so they started throwing the Next model up which is the Superclocked version in the lower end boxes. Hum, could be. You guys lucked out.
November 30, 2007 10:49:03 AM

I was always skeptical about the claim that SC'ed cards had higher-binned chips but I'm not so sure anymore.

I bought a stock 320 GTS and was going to OC it myself but it came at 576 out of the box instead of 500; Evga didn't just start doing this with the 8800 GT.

I would love to see how a non SC 8800 GT (or GTS) stacks up to a SC'ed one (if both ship with the same clock speeds) in benchmarks. If the SC'ed one scores higher that would settle it in my mind.
November 30, 2007 12:35:26 PM

The free factory OC is nice, but I really don't care much since I have it at 700MHz with Rivatuner anyway. I doubt a true "stock" speed card would have fared any worse. Also, I really felt the difference between 650 and 700MHz in Crysis; I can play it on very high under dx9 now :kaola: 

I think the general consensus is that eVGA was running short on stock cards so they started sending out their OCed models instead. This makes sense because there was a pretty long delay between the time that they received my old card and the time they sent my 8800gt out. The box just says "e-GeForce 8800gt" with "90 Day Step-Up Program" written in the upper right corner. No mention anywhere of an overclock.

Edit: By the way, I love eVGA :whistle: 
November 30, 2007 12:45:08 PM

Just my 2 cents...I bought my card on Nov 1 from Fry's...as I posted earlier it came oc'd. Anyways...I was having some issues and I posted for some help. Some guy said that he believed that some of the cards were sent out with the "incorrect" bios, thus we see them oc'd straight from evga...question is...will the SC version be gauranteed to work without issues. I wonder as for some strange reason, I have begun to see some issues and dont' know if its the card or just maybe the rest of my system. BUT the issues began when I started to OC the card to SC specs and higher...who knows, but it is weird that they shipped them out like that. The fact that I am having some issues is making me wonder and nervous, however, it could just be heat related. I've read that at times the northbridge can overheat causing shut down. My only concern is...I want to make sure the card is fine, I dont' want to come to find out that I have to underclock it to reference specs. Today is 30th day of Fry's return policy and I much rather do that then have to send it in to Evga. I am currently running prime95 concurrently w/ that atitool thingy, so far so good for 30 minutes, temp is 66. Anyways, I dont' know, but have they publically admitted this to anyone in their forums?
November 30, 2007 1:12:49 PM

homerdog said:
This makes sense because there was a pretty long delay between the time that they received my old card and the time they sent my 8800gt out.

I was wondering how long it took from the time you sent your card to the time you recieved the new one?
November 30, 2007 4:11:42 PM

ausch30 said:
I was wondering how long it took from the time you sent your card to the time you recieved the new one?

It was a while. You can track the status of the card on eVGA's website, and there was almost a week delay between the time they recieved my old card and the time they shipped the new one. All in all it there was about a 2 week period between the time I sent my old card off and the time I received the new one. I didn't really care because I had a bunch of work to do. Come to think of it, I did better on this last round of tests than I have done all year :D 
November 30, 2007 5:09:16 PM

ausch30 said:

Not 100% sure, but I'm guessing they shipped out my step-up 8800gt the same day they received my gts. As soon as I get it I will gpu-z it and check the clocks, as I am expecting the standard version.
November 30, 2007 9:09:44 PM

Ananan said:
I was always skeptical about the claim that SC'ed cards had higher-binned chips but I'm not so sure anymore.

I bought a stock 320 GTS and was going to OC it myself but it came at 576 out of the box instead of 500; Evga didn't just start doing this with the 8800 GT.

I would love to see how a non SC 8800 GT (or GTS) stacks up to a SC'ed one (if both ship with the same clock speeds) in benchmarks. If the SC'ed one scores higher that would settle it in my mind.

Hey when you say the SC card are you talking about the EVGA SSC 8800GT 700MHz 1000Mem or is that a new card coming out? Hey also, if I have the EVGA Superclocked 8800gt, shouldn't I be able to overclock mine to 700MHz and 1000Mem without any problems?
November 30, 2007 9:21:30 PM

homerdog said:
The free factory OC is nice, but I really don't care much since I have it at 700MHz with Rivatuner anyway. I doubt a true "stock" speed card would have fared any worse. Also, I really felt the difference between 650 and 700MHz in Crysis; I can play it on very high under dx9 now :kaola: 

I think the general consensus is that eVGA was running short on stock cards so they started sending out their OCed models instead. This makes sense because there was a pretty long delay between the time that they received my old card and the time they sent my 8800gt out. The box just says "e-GeForce 8800gt" with "90 Day Step-Up Program" written in the upper right corner. No mention anywhere of an overclock.

Edit: By the way, I love eVGA :whistle: 

How are you able to play Crysis on VERY HIGH settings? Mine are all grayed out and I cant even select them.

I think I have a good enough computer to run it that way too.
EVGA 680i SLI
EVGA 8800GT Superclocked
E6600 Dual Core
Corsair XMS2 2GB Ram 4-4-4-12 DDR2-800
OZC GamerXSteam 700w PSU

Please let me know. The game is already one of the best I have seen on High settings. I could only imagine what it woudl be like on very high.
November 30, 2007 9:53:09 PM

Spitfire7 said:
Wait guys, You mean when you bought your EVGA card it said on the listing and on the box Stock 600MHz and 900mem, but when you started up the computer it said 650 and 950????????????

That's exactly it. Got mine on step up too.

For any with an 8800gt not using riva tuner get it. The card comes with the fan locked at 29% which is why some cards run hot, upped mine to highest without hearing it over 120mm case fans which was 60% much cooler now.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2007 12:42:53 AM

Spitfire7 said:
How are you able to play Crysis on VERY HIGH settings? Mine are all grayed out and I cant even select them.

You need vista to select very high ingame. There are ways of "hacking" the config files to get similar effects, but they aren't exactly the same for everything.
December 1, 2007 5:12:29 AM

randomizer said:
You need vista to select very high ingame. There are ways of "hacking" the config files to get similar effects, but they aren't exactly the same for everything.

Ok cool. How do you know all this stuff Randomizer? Hey thanks for coming over into this thread to help.
December 1, 2007 12:24:57 PM

Here's a couple of links to an easy way to enable very high with dx9. Keep in mind there are small IQ differences between this and true dx10, but when I say small I mean SMALL, and performance is way better. I have Vista and an 8800gt but I have to run it under dx9 to get playable framerates.
http://webpages.charter.net/bliss/crysis-config-settings-tweaks.html
http://www.crysis-online.com/?id=449

You can also edit the CVarGroups files (all except the sys_spec_Full file) to achieve the same effect. Electronic Arts->Crytek->Crysis->Game->Config->CVarGroups. Just replace the stuff under the [3] with the stuff under the 4 (which for some reason doesn't have [] around it. I did it that way because I like to have control over what effects I get.
December 1, 2007 8:04:37 PM

homerdog said:
Here's a couple of links to an easy way to enable very high with dx9. Keep in mind there are small IQ differences between this and true dx10, but when I say small I mean SMALL, and performance is way better. I have Vista and an 8800gt but I have to run it under dx9 to get playable framerates.
http://webpages.charter.net/bliss/crysis-config-settings-tweaks.html
http://www.crysis-online.com/?id=449

You can also edit the CVarGroups files (all except the sys_spec_Full file) to achieve the same effect. Electronic Arts->Crytek->Crysis->Game->Config->CVarGroups. Just replace the stuff under the [3] with the stuff under the 4 (which for some reason doesn't have [] around it. I did it that way because I like to have control over what effects I get.

Thanks for the tips. Are the graphics really worth even trying to get very high settings? It looks like I probably wont be able to get playable framerates either if you are having problems with it. I do have XP too. I do hear they have a patch coming out pretty soon that will make performace way way better and fix a lot of crashing issues.
December 2, 2007 12:57:25 AM

The difference between high and very high is pretty significant. I can't play it on high now that I've seen what very high has to offer. Under dx9 very high runs a little slow for my taste, but it's worlds faster than it is under dx10. Given that you have XP I'd say you will get moderately playable framerates with the dx9 very high hack.
December 2, 2007 10:03:32 AM

ok you sold me. I think I will try it.
December 2, 2007 8:24:05 PM

I tried it. Everything is a lot sharper and cleaner at farther distances. Also, I noticed you see sun rays and the sun coming through dust effects everywhere. Looks great, but on the carrier level little to sluggish for me. I had to go with better frames rather then Ultimate graphics. I still say Crysis is one of the best games I think i have ever seen.
June 18, 2008 9:46:18 AM

Spitfire7 said:

I think I have a good enough computer to run it that way too.
EVGA 680i SLI
EVGA 8800GT Superclocked
E6600 Dual Core
Corsair XMS2 2GB Ram 4-4-4-12 DDR2-800
OZC GamerXSteam 700w PSU

Please let me know. The game is already one of the best I have seen on High settings. I could only imagine what it woudl be like on very high.

[#0000ff]err....dude you got a 680i right... and an evga 8800GT.... 8800GT is PCI-E 2.0 and 680i doesnt support it....that means ur losing out on performance, :ouch:  as 2.0 offers much more bandwidth than 1.0 or 1.1...

so... yeah bit of a waste of money if ur not getting the full potential out of ur 8800GT :pfff: 
June 18, 2008 5:57:15 PM

V3NOM said:

[#0000ff]err....dude you got a 680i right... and an evga 8800GT.... 8800GT is PCI-E 2.0 and 680i doesnt support it....that means ur losing out on performance, as 2.0 offers much more bandwidth than 1.0 or 1.1...

so... yeah bit of a waste of money if ur not getting the full potential out of ur 8800GT

Where did you dig this up? this is a really old thread.

From Tom's
"To get right to the point, upgrading from PCI Express 1.x to 2.0 is not
worthwhile right now. The current crop of graphics cards just doesn't
tax the PCI Express bus enough for a difference to be visible."

!