Bad cpu? errors in Prime95

seedpws

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I had a bad PSU. I replaced it and all was well.

I started having problems with music and video freezing the pc or erroring any player I used.

I reloaded windows. Reload went fine. Everything seems to work besides audio and video. It will crash the system or error the player. So I got online and started to search..

I did a memtest-86 overnight and not no errors. When I did a prime95 test the program errors or it gives
Fatal error: rounding was 0.4999923706, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected
Torture Test ran 0 minutes - 1 errors, 0 warnings
Execution Halted.

Next test was
Fatal error: Resulting sum was -1.51649886755235e-006, Expected 93342471491.39105

What is causing this? Please let me know asap. Thanks

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Hmmm... I'm guessing perhaps you had a power spike. If thats the case, it's really hard to trouble shoot if that spike affected anything else when it goes through the PSU. If you use onboard sound, and have another sound card handy, try disabling it and using another sound card.

Also, if you did have a spike, check out all wiring on the molex connectors for burnt spots, even the ram chips, the video card gold tips for burn smudges.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
It pretty much means there's something wrong. But what? I dunno. Prime95 tests the CPU and memory generally. But that doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with anything else.

Might want to mention if you know what caused your PSU to go. Old age, power spike or surge, something got spilled on it?

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
It's mentioned in Prime95 readme that errors doesn't mean exactly a hardware error.

There's 3 options for testing in Prime. Try the small FFT to test only CPU then continue to the rest of the tests.

You can try to test with orthos too.

btw, do you overclock ?

seedpws

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I tried all tests. The small FFT ones makes a windows error and shuts it down before it even starts the test.

The second one lasts a few seconds before it shows an error in the program or windows errors the program. It also is really bad for erroring any app while playing an MP3. If you play it through it plays but if you skip it some then go back it will error every time.

No overclocking. Never have.

The power supply was fine when I left for a week. Then when I got home the pc was off and wouldn't turn back on. Replaced the PSU.

Also worth noting is that PSU only lasted 3 weeks and started giving me reboots all the time. I looked in the bios and it was reporting the -5v at -61V. Also the others were off too. I replaced the PSU again and it now has normal voltage.

The cpu fan hasn't been touched and is working 100%.

I build pcs all the time and never ran into a problem like this. If its the cpu most of the time windows won't reload doing a fresh install fast ect. I reformated and installed everything and it all works. You try to run an mp3 or video and skip around it or run prime95 and it errors .

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I build pcs all the time and never ran into a problem like this.
Well, you need to have problem if you want to learn...

What kind of PSU you have now ? maybe you can post your PC specs.
Windows installation is clean ? means there's no antivirus or background application or services running while testing with prime ?

do you check your CPU temp ?

seedpws

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Don't remember the PSU name brand as I took it out of my other working pc and put it in the problem pc. It worked fine for a much better gaming system so it should work here fine also.

Windows install is brand new. Zeroed out the HD before doing a clean install. Windows XP Pro installed 100% normal even with this problem. Installed in about 20 min total. I did have AVG running. But either way there is something wrong as it errors media moneky and media player and media player classic.

CPU temp is how it always was. Temp is between 48C to 58C and has always been those temps.

I also my norton ghost backups won't load either.

I tried disconnecting everything besides ram, and hd and video and it still did it.

I might just get a new mb, cpu and memory and be done with it. I rather not but something has to give.

seedpws

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
500W PSU
Machspeed n2pap-lite MB. with built in sound.
AMD 2800+ CPU
512MB DDR 333 memory
128MB AGP Video card. FX 5200
DVD reader
DVD burner
Floppy
3 case fans

Windows XP Pro all updates.

seedpws

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I can't have my pc down this long so I ordered
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB)
MSI K9VGM-V AM2 VIA K8M890 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Is that a good board? I don't overclock or anything.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Hmmmm... Well my dad's old system, used XP AMD 2100+. I remember that thing got really hot even after cleaning off the HSF, which look like it was growing dust rather than accumulating. :lol:

His temps at that time were 59C idle. I did endup installing a new HSF from CompUSA, which did bring his idle temps to 38-40C. Loads barely hit 50C. It actually still works, and I've converted it to a linux system. He never touches now. :lol:. o O (since I built him another)

So it looks like you want to build another system? That does look like an okay budget build, but there are somethings you should look at before buying it.

For one, that is a Micros ATX MB, so it's design is for compact size case, more for like going to a gaming party, which you carry the PC with ya.

Another, it looks like it has a PCI-E slot, not AGP that is if your going to use your existing card.

Expansion Slots
PCI Express x16 1
PCI Express x1 1
PCI Slots 2

One last thought, I hope you don't think you can put all that together and run your HD as is. You will need to do a fresh reinstall of windows, and your apps/games. So you will need to backup your stuff that is important to ya.

If you do just websurfing/email/chat your current system should be able to handle it, but you should see a difference with the X2 4000+.

If you are serious in building a new PC, list the things you plan on doing on it. Perhaps some of the other guys will help find you better parts to choose from. I would more then likely choose C2D setup, but I'm not really up to date on AMD side, in what's best.

seedpws

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Yea I know all that. I been building systems for 10+ years now. I just never had the problem with a pc running 100% besides playing mp3s and the cpu test. Most of the time if the processor is bad windows won't reload or it just takes forever to load. I built 2000+ systems since I started and never ran into this problem. So not too sure.

My friend I am fixxing this for doesn't do gaming. I will just use the built in video card as it isn't too bad of one.

seedpws

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
And btw you don't have reinstall windows xp pro if you know what you are doing and before last shutdown before upgrade.

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
As in format? You might be able to get away with it from a "will it run" standpoint, but after such a dramatic hardware change, a fresh install IS a good idea.

seedpws

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I always do a reinstall anyway but in Windows XP PRO they offer a program to make it so you can make a backup image without any drivers so windows will detect them and install drivers on first boot. They offer it so you can create a company image and install it on any machine instead of doing each pc one by one.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Heh... well, ummm.. excuse me.

a... I already know that would have been fine.

I've been into computers, building computers as well from 1995 to now. Wish you could have been more informative at the beginning of your thread. You start off by saying your PSU went bad, then your CPU is at 58C, and now your listing parts for a new build.

And then turn around and tell me you've built system for 10 years, and your dumping this system to a friend, and how to install XP at the last moment.

Geeesh... :lol:

seedpws

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Well people posting false info doesn't set right with me. I have booted a HD in a whole different pc and it ran fine. You just have to know what you are doing and you don't have to reinstall the OS as it will find all the drivers on the next boot if you preped it first .

I checked everything for the old board. I installed a new CPU fan and it brought the temp down but the error is still there. I made sure all my drivers ect were correct. My PSU was bad and then it still didn't fix the error on a new one. I never ran into this problem before and thought maybe someone on this forum might of.

There is something wrong with this board/cpu. I played with it long enough. I ordered a new board/cpu and the new memory that goes with it. Its all the same pc and it is my buddies computer. I am not unloading anything to anyone. He brought it to me cause I built it about 3-4 years ago and only now having a problem.

I now will be upgrading the board/cpu and memory and will be installing XP again because it hasn't been reloaded in 3-4 years.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

Well.. you surely confused me, with false info:

Looks like it says.. I can't have my pc down this long..

and the parts you listed, are for a dual core setup. Now, you really should do a fresh install simply because your older installation has a different HAL installed. So in other words, XP will not take advantage of the 2nd core properly, and is why I stated a fresh install.

I'm sorry that you have a PC that isn't working right, but I've already said of a possible power spike or surge can cause problems that cannot be fixed, or identified. More then likely I agree it's prolly the MB. Since your looking at Prime95 results, it doesn't tell you what is wrong, but it thinks its a hardware problem. You can have the wrong settings in your bios to cause that error as well.

Since that is a 4-5 year old system, it is prolly best to put that system at rest and get a new one.

GL on the new build for your friend.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Since you got a new board you really don't need any advice. I was just wondering, what was the brand and model of PSU that blew up, and the brand and model that you replaced it with? Just curious.