dostanio

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Hello

I cant overclock my CPU from the BIOS it doesnt give me the option, i have asked before and was given certain programs which i didnt no how to use!

Is there anyway i could get a new bios? or a program that allows me to overclock easily because my knowledge regarding this is restricted!

Thanks

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
One easy way to get a new BIOS is buy a new motherboard.

I have a hard time believing that any board that could support the 6750 would limit overclocking, unless it's a Dell, HP etc...

What type of mobo you have?

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
OK first things first. Premade systems like Dell, HP, Compaq etc use cheap parts. Therefore, the motherboard you have probably either a)doesn't allow overclocking at all OR b) sucks at overclocking.

You can attempt to buy a new P35 or X38/48 moob if you wish, but you'd also have to look at your power supply. Overclocking won't really stress your PSU too much, but it will increase your overall power requirements.

You may be better off buying a new Antec case with one of their Earthwatts PSUs and a new mobo, then moving the parts over. You will most likely want to reinstall Windows at that point tho. You can try to just let it discover the new hardware and install the new drivers, but sometimes that leads to weird quirks.

Overclocking requires good quality parts, in a system not bound by proprietary hardware.

Hope this helps.

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
So far I'm digging my 6750 as well. I was planning on tossing a Q9450 or Q9550 on my Maximus SE, but I'm really thinking it won't be necessary. So far, this system has happily chewed thru anything I've handed it.

If you're still wanting to OC your 6750, get a nice case, with great ventilation (Antec 900, Silverstone TJ-09, Coolermaster Stacker 8xx) and grab a good Asus/Gigabyte/MSI P35/X38 Mobo, and a good HSF (TRUE-120/Zerotherm Nirvana, Tuniq Tower 120). I got 3.6GHz, you may get more or less, but that's part of the fun!

Pogotron

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
3.6ghz sounds impressive. I've got mine at 3ghz and already I'm hitting 65 under a long load of rendering in Maxwell. I need to find a way to control my HSF...