Sign in with
Your question

Core Temp 0.96.1 reading 20 deg hotter than everything else!?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 29, 2008 4:05:25 PM

Hi,

I posted a couple of messages in another forum but no-one really replied so I am posting here in the hope that you guys are able to help me and save me from getting a complex :pt1cable: 

I have listed my BIOS config and system setup below in case that helps or incase anyone can offer recommended changes/improvements.

I have recently built my PC and I am now trying to understand the world of overclocking. I am a bit confused over a few matters (well everything really) and also confused with the results I have received when benchmarking as PCMark05 and 3DMark05 seem very inconsistent when testing. However, my biggest problem seems to be temprature related.

When I overclock the FSB (unlinked) to 320x10 CoreTemp shows an idle temprature at around 60 degrees and EVERYTHING ELSE (BIOS, ASUS Probe, ASUS AI Booster, FanSpeed & NVidia Temp Software) all show it around 40 degrees. EVERYONE tells me that CoreTemp is right and that everything else is wrong but I fail to see how that can be when my system is idle and I have a BigTyp cooler and an Antec900 case. My system/mobo temperatue is around 30 degrees.

When I stress all 4 cores of the CPU (SP2004x4) CoreTemp reaches tempartues or 120+ degrees and EVERYTHING ELSE around 75-85.

My voltage settings are all Auto in the BIOS except memory which I have set to 2.1V.

I have tried re-seating the BigTyp CPU cooler and opening the side of my case makes no real differece to the tempratues.

Even running my BigTyp at max rpm and turning my Antec case fans up to max only makes 1-2 degrees difference.

Can anyone help me or has anyone else had similar experiences??

Im too scared to try SP2004 on all cores for any length of time when its reporting 120 degrees

Thank you!!!!

P.S. what are acceptable idle/stressed cpu tempratures anyhow??

System Setup
Qx6700 Kentsfield
BigTyp VC120
ASUS Striker Extreme
4GB (2x2GB) OCZ PC2-6400 SLI-Ready
500GB SATA
Antec 900
Windows XP x86

ASUS Striker Extreme Bios 1401
SLI-Ready Memory: Expert
AI Tuning: Manual
Nvidia GPU Ex: Enabled
CPU Multi 10
FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked
x FSB - Memory Raio: N/A
FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1280
Actual FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1280
MEM (DDR), Mhz: 800
Actual MEM (DDR), Mhz: 800
Vcore Voltage: Auto
Memory Voltage: 2.1v
1.2v HT Voltage: Auto
NB Core Voltage: Auto
SB Core Voltage: Auto
CPU VTT Voltage: Auto
DDRII Controller Ref Voltage: auto
DDRII Channel A Ref Voltage: auto
DDRII Channel B Ref Voltage: auto

tCL (CAS Latency): 5
tRCD: 4
tRP: 4
tRAS:15
Command Per Clock (CMD): 2

Advance Memory Settings
tRRD: AUTO
tRC: AUTO
tWR: AUTO
tWTR: AUTO
tREF: AUTO
tRD: AUTO
tRFC: AUTO
Async Latency: AUTO

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
MCP PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
SATA Spread Spectrum: Disabled
LDT Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Internal Thermal Control: Disabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal: Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E): Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
Virtualization Technology: Disabled
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech: Disabled
LDT Frequency: 4x

PCIEX16_1 Frequency (Mhz): 100
PCIEX16_2 Frequency (Mhz): 100
PCIEX16_3 Frequency (Mhz): 100
SPP<->MCP Ref Clock, Mhz: Auto
January 29, 2008 4:08:24 PM

Well for one thing, even 75-85C is too high. However CoreTemp is reading the real temperatures at the cores. Most of the other programs are reading Tcase.

To familiarize yourself with these, check the C2D temperature guide at the top written by Computronix.

Edit: You may need to calibrate the sensors.
January 29, 2008 5:21:14 PM

Thanks for you very qucik reply.

I have read the guide and now understand that there should be a difference between between the Tcase and Tjunction tempratures but this should only be about 10c and NOT the 20c I am getting.

My QX6700 is a B3 stepping with an Intel Therma specification of 65c.

Question 1:

Does my processor have an intergrated heat spreader as the Intel spec says it has a IntelĀ® Thermal Monitor 2.

Question 2:

Should I have the CPU Thermal Control enabled in the BIOS and what does this do?

Question 3:

How do I reduce the 20c a sthis is an idle reading?
How would I go about calibrating my sensors and what sensors?

Sorry noob here!!!
Related resources
January 29, 2008 5:29:41 PM

Thermal Control sounds like a throttle if it over heats. Enable it and see what it does.

Your processor has an IHS, it's the piece of metal on top of the processor.

As far as calibrating, please read the guide I refered you to.
January 29, 2008 5:46:44 PM

I did not see the Server error and LINK at the bottom of the guide so will follow the LINk and report back...

Thanks so far :-)
January 30, 2008 6:48:48 AM

Hi again,

I spent the evening last night runing through the guide to calibrate my tempratures but would now appreciate some assistance analysing the data.

Ambient Temprature

I completed the calibration using an ambient temp of 26c (this was the lowest I could get).

TCase Temprature

I beleive I correctky identified the Tcase temp in Spedfan as there was only one Temp setting (other than the cores) that rose significantly when I ran SP2004. I renamed this to Tcase and had to offest this temprature by +1 to achieve a Tcase tempartue of 27c (Ambient + 1c).

Tjunction DTS Validation

Under idle conditions, I took the highest value of my cores (28c) and worked out the dec value for the hex value given using the RDMSR feature in Crystal CPUID. TJunction max is 100c for my CPU - result (57) = TJunction 43c

Tjunction Offset Correction

My hottest core was 28c. Tjunction hottest core should indicate Ambient + 10c +/- 3 (26c + 10c = 36c). I then offset all 3 cores by 8 (28c + 8 = 36c).

Results

Idle 1.6GHz/Vcore1.25v - Ambient 26, Tcase 27 & Core0 36

Idle 2.6GHz (stock) Vcore Auto - Speedfan = Tcase 31, Core0 41
Idle 2.6GHz (stock) Vcore Auto - CoreTemp = Core0 48

(CPU100%) 2.6GHz (stock) Vcore Auto - Speedfan = Tcase 63, Core0 65
(CPU100%) 2.6GHz (stock) Vcore Auto - CoreTemp = Core0 77

Question1:

Was an ambient temprature for the test of 26c OK? I had all PC fans and CPU fan set to 100% and house was not hot!?

Question 2:

When I offset the Tjunction should I have used the (+ / - 3) adjustment at all?

Question 3:

I am confused why my Tcase and Coreo tempratures are so close when the CPU is under stress. Is this normal?

Question 4:

If you look at my Coreo temprature when the CPU is stressed at stock this reaches 65c in speedfan. If speedfan is correct this does not give me much headroom to OC. 5 degrees will be burnt up before I even reach 3GHz!?

Question 5:

I am still really confused why CoreTemp and Speedfan are showing different values and under stress the difference is a massive 12C. I appreciate under my adjuestments I have reduced this difference by some 8c at idle but surely these should be reading similar values now?????

Am I doing something wrong here??

Thanks again.
!