ONE MORE QUESTION, PLS HELP! Video card fan just stopped! TEMPS RISING

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
OK, my video card, an X800GTO just went kaput! CRAP!

It's been making some noise, and now the temperature is rising, from 56 before it stopped, to 79 degrees as I WRITE THIS!

What can I do? What SHOULD I DO? Can I use it safely without burning it as long as I dont use it for games?

What card can I get?

vip3569

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Without the fan, the graphics card will probably die out soon. Newegg sells some replacement vga fans that are fairly simple to install.

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
PNY GeForce 7600 GS AGP Graphics Card

Is the above card MUCH worse than my X800GTO I am running now? I opened up the extra four pipes on it.

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
7600 GS is not a very good card. Just get a new fan for your x800gto, or get something like a 7600 GT. I would stick with your x800gto if I were you.

jwclark

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
The same thing happened to my Geforce 3 ti500 - The fan stopped working and whenever I tried to play games every minute or so it would freeze for a few seconds. As a temporary fix I just stuck a case fan inside next to my graphics card and it worked great. I actually ended up using it like that for over a year until I upgraded. Though if you don't have one lying around it'd be just as easy and probably better to get a VGA fan like vip said.

there are after market heatsink/fans available....just grab one and enjoy....

VF700-cu from zalman should fit and is not too expensive anymore...

the Geforce 3 ti500 had a heatsink that was exposed better so a case fan would work....but that does not work on the X800 cards

smokedyou911

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
7600gs is a good card. Ether buy a cheap replacement for your fan/heat sink or buy a new video card. If your going to buy a new video card post ur psu specs, rig specs and budget please.

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
My fan looks like this:

109-X800GTO-2.jpg

So I have NO IDEA what kind of fan I need over it!

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Not really an option. I am a photographer and I need this fixed TODAY!

it's either I spend 45 dollars on a COOLER or 108 dollars on a new graphics card, PNY GeForce 7600 GS AGP Graphics Card

G

If by any chance you are using Linux - there is a bug at the moment in either Ubuntu or Suse (not sure which) where the ATI X800 models (and maybe some others) are having their fans maxed out all the time.

I read about it one or two weeks ago when playing around with Ubuntu. I'm sure you have checked it for dirt, obstruction etc.

Let it die a slow painful death today - replace it tomorrow...it's old. I have an X800pro and can't wait to start again next year. Good Luck.

If you take the current fan off - maybe that will give more clearance for your other air to hit the cooling components..

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Thanks A_Dude, but no I am using Windows XP.

I am going to go to COMPUSA tonight, but I still dont understand how the fan is going to attach to my system!

You swap out the fan and heatsink....unless you can find another fan for that heatsink(not easy to do, but the screws are under the blades, you turn then slowly you will see small screws that hold the fan in).....

If that is too much of a pain(worried about breaking the card and wasting the money for a heatsink....), then a new card is the best option....

i am gonna toss together a quick guide for you.....just give me a sec

EDIT

I sure as hell hope you are on another computer

may be easier to just use zalmans own guide...

its not hard...

Clean you gpu core with q-tips and rubbing alcohol
then apply thermal compound and spread it thinly with a clean credit/bank/ect card.(clean the end of the card with the rubbing alcohol...)

Install as per instructions below
check the installation movie...there are 2 sets of holes for different card types

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=163&code=013

hpim1511vn7.jpg

Note: i had to offset the ram sink a little....not like the card needed then anyway...
hpim1512df6.jpg

dont forget the little rubber washers and to plug the cards fan in....since the card no longer powers it, you have to plug the fan in yourself..

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

dude, not trying to be mean, but thats disgustinly dusty...
why you dont just go to a paint shop, and buy one brush and clean your computer?
that much ammount of dust is dangerous for your computer

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
A paint brush" can cause ESD and is not a good tool to clean out your computer with. And no that is not a dangerous level of dust for a computer. you should have seen my old system after 3 years of not cleaning, in a house with two dogs, carpet and seated on the floor :lol:

Hows this?

hpim1164jv3.jpg

dirtom8.jpg

dirt1oq4.jpg

or how about a smokers computer?

When i clean my server i will give you a nice pic :p

A friend of mine said that dust is like a protective coating for the computer parts(not seriously but he said it)
It does get cleaned about every 2-4 months anyway....