Sign in with
Your question

8800gt SSC back in stock (eVGA website)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 3, 2007 1:42:02 AM

Get them while they last. Just bought mine, next day air.
November 3, 2007 2:08:45 AM

NOO dont go I want one!
November 3, 2007 9:44:28 AM

Why get the SSC when you can get a stock card for $30 less and OC it yourself in 5 minutes using RivaTuner?

Here's the problem with a factory OC'd card. The BIOS has been flashed (again something easy to do yourself if you want) at the factory to the high core, shader and memory speeds. They also set the fan at 100%.

That means your card is running full blast even when just surfing the web, a waste of resources, hot and noisy too. Fans at 100% are MUCH louder than at 60%.

Just get a stock card and OC it yourself. Run it stock when just going desktop apps and crank it up when gaming. Card will stay cooler and quiter.

SSC and all that is just a gimmick to make more money. Physically, there is NO DIFFERENCE between the SSC ($300) and the Stock Card ($260).

Oh yeah, they do add a nice $30 sticker :) 
Related resources
November 3, 2007 1:43:08 PM

eVGA also cherry picks the most stable for the SSC overclock. I would rather pay 30 extra for a guaranteed high overclock then risk getting a dud and not getting a nice OC.

p.s. can't I just manually lower the fan level anyway if it really is set to 100% at all times?
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2007 7:27:41 PM

While nothing can touch it for the money, $300 + shipping isn't a good enough deal for me, especially with the G92 based 8800GTS confirmed. I'm sick of the prices going up on these things.

I preordered a KO edition for $279 shipped from amazon with Quake Wars, but it doesn't look like it will arrive anytime soon. I'll give it another couple weeks, cancel, and go for the G92 GTS.
November 3, 2007 7:40:11 PM

mitchellvii said:
Why get the SSC when you can get a stock card for $30 less and OC it yourself in 5 minutes using RivaTuner?

Here's the problem with a factory OC'd card. The BIOS has been flashed (again something easy to do yourself if you want) at the factory to the high core, shader and memory speeds. They also set the fan at 100%.

That means your card is running full blast even when just surfing the web, a waste of resources, hot and noisy too. Fans at 100% are MUCH louder than at 60%.

Just get a stock card and OC it yourself. Run it stock when just going desktop apps and crank it up when gaming. Card will stay cooler and quiter.

SSC and all that is just a gimmick to make more money. Physically, there is NO DIFFERENCE between the SSC ($300) and the Stock Card ($260).

Oh yeah, they do add a nice $30 sticker :) 

WARRENTY!

BIOS flash will VOID warrenty.

Ontop of that not everyone can overclock.
November 3, 2007 7:49:30 PM

Hatman,

I don't flash the BIOS at all - just turn on the OC before I play a game - takes like 1 second to do it.
November 3, 2007 7:53:27 PM

I've always just bought stock cards and OC'd them and never had a problem. They may "say" they cherry-pick the "best" cards for the OC, but then they are admitting that the other cards they sell are somehow of inferior quality without letting the consumer know they are really buying "seconds". If that were true, they would be begging for a class-action lawsuit.

The EVGA tech (not sales - can't trust sales) I talked to said the cards are physically IDENTICAL except for the factory OC.

No, my friend, the whole "cherry-pick" the best cards is just marketing hype.
November 3, 2007 8:02:21 PM

I read the glowing specs on the new GTS coming out with 128 shader units enabled which will probably smoke the old GTX Ultra. Sounds enticing, but that is the beauty of buying EVGA. If the GTS really is that amazing, I still have 90 days to "trade-up".

Don't want to wait till December for a new card if that is, in fact, when they come out.

Just think though - developers will start writing software that even makes these monsters run at 20 FPS so we have to buy something else new.
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2007 8:10:30 PM

I like the evga trade up as an option even if it very often is not a great deal. $300 for the SSC from their site transfered toward a $400 or less 8800GTS 512MB SSC sounds like a nice plan to me.

But you know, the time has already come that these monster cards run 20 fps. Look at FSAA and HQ setting in Crysis. :) 
November 3, 2007 8:27:43 PM

pauldh said:
While nothing can touch it for the money, $300 + shipping isn't a good enough deal for me, especially with the G92 based 8800GTS confirmed. I'm sick of the prices going up on these things.

I preordered a KO edition for $279 shipped from amazon with Quake Wars, but it doesn't look like it will arrive anytime soon. I'll give it another couple weeks, cancel, and go for the G92 GTS.

Yeah, I had one on backorder that I *should* have gotten this week if they hadn't fumbled with my credit card stuff. So now I've been stuck on backorder at $250 shipped for the superclocked version on ncixus before the prices were jacked up. I'll probably end up going for a newer GTS model if they don't ship it soon.
November 4, 2007 1:15:03 AM

wstcoaster07 said:
Get them while they last. Just bought mine, next day air.

I was under the impression that they didn't process nor ship on Weekends? Granted UPS does pick up and process packages on Saturdays; eVGA does not. I wouldn't saved the money and gotten cheaper shipping. I may be wrong though. but I'm fairly forcertain they don't ship or process on the weekends. But hey if you get it tomorrow than bench it for us please. :) 
November 4, 2007 1:29:06 AM

mitchellvii said:
I've always just bought stock cards and OC'd them and never had a problem. They may "say" they cherry-pick the "best" cards for the OC, but then they are admitting that the other cards they sell are somehow of inferior quality without letting the consumer know they are really buying "seconds". If that were true, they would be begging for a class-action lawsuit.

The EVGA tech (not sales - can't trust sales) I talked to said the cards are physically IDENTICAL except for the factory OC.

No, my friend, the whole "cherry-pick" the best cards is just marketing hype.

The cards are identical, the cherry-picked chips are not. the EVGA tech must have misunderstood what you were asking. Sure they are physically identical but the overclocked versions use higher binned chips. Much like a QX6800 is much better binned than a Q6600, even though they have the same architecture and everything, the chips are of different quality standards. its like gems, you can find flawed gems that are still nice, and you can find flawless gems that are much better.
November 4, 2007 2:18:04 AM

syfon said:
I was under the impression that they didn't process nor ship on Weekends? Granted UPS does pick up and process packages on Saturdays; eVGA does not. I wouldn't saved the money and gotten cheaper shipping. I may be wrong though. but I'm fairly forcertain they don't ship or process on the weekends. But hey if you get it tomorrow than bench it for us please. :) 

Yea, I do not expect them to process/ship until Monday.. but this way I still get it Tuesday with one day air
November 4, 2007 2:52:06 AM

oh are you for real??
November 4, 2007 2:56:45 AM

Price gouging makes me sick. 250 msrp price my a$$
November 4, 2007 8:43:55 AM

Valtiel,

I'll be sure to look for the "Warning: Contains Inferior Chip" sticker on my stock 8800 GT Box. The tech at EVGA told me there is "no difference" between the SSC and a stock card except for the guaranteed factory overclock. None. Zip. Nada.
!