Cpu as a bottleneck, and PSU questions

Grimble Crumble

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007
Right now, I have an 8600 GT, P4 3.4ht, one SATA hdd (I have a 4-pin to SATA converter), one IDE hdd, and 2 IDE disk drives. I plan on getting an 8800 GT if it is close to as good as the hype makes it seem, and will eventually get a Core2 (or if AMD shapes up, on of theirs. Either way, something that will use much less power). That will be down the road, probably around 6 months. I was first wondering how much of a bottleneck my CPU will be. I know there's nothing official, so using an 8800 GTS for reference would be fine. Second, I have no clue what I need for a PSU, my current one is pretty bad, an Enlight 300w (I think). I just wanted to know if there are any reasonably priced (read: sub-$50) PSU's that I can use, or if mine has any chance in hell of running with an 8800gt. I also have a few generic 450w PSUs lying around, but I don't think I should trust them.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
You are looking at around $70 at the minimum for a decent PSU. The OCZ StealthXtreme on newegg is running at 69.99 right now after MIR and should handle the 8800GT without issue.

I would honestly just set that PC aside as an HTPC (it would make a good one) and build from scratch. Your CPU would definitely limit any 8800 level GPU from its potential. Tom's CPU charts will give you a good idea of the performance difference.

Grimble Crumble

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007
I don't have the money for a new PC, hence I am waiting half a year to buy a processor. I just wanted to know if I will get substantially better performance now. Now, are you sure I'd need 600w psu for one VGA, one processor (even a P4), 2 HDDs and 2 disk drives? If I got rid of a hard drive and a disk drive, would it lower the power consumption by much?

sailer

Splendid

I would second the motion on the Antec Earthwatts 430 wt with one cavet; if you can swing the extra money, go for the Earthwatts 500wt. The extra size will give better room for future expansion, but if you don't plan on any expansion, then by all means use the 430wt.

As far as your generic PSUs, I wouldn't trust them, and the Enlight 300wt which you have is too underpowered to bother with.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I didn't say you needed a 600 watt PSU, but of the PSUs out, that is just a good deal. The Earthwatts 430 should power your PC with the addition of the 8800GT.

Grimble Crumble

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007
Yeah, I just don't want to spend that much. I'm not against buying a quality product, but I don't want to spend more than what I need. I don't plan on upgrading again for like four years, sans a new processor, so if I need a better PSU then, I'll get one. What do you think about the Thermaltake PurePower 430W. It is Tier 3 I believe, and 35$ at Circuit City. I'm sure I can get better deals online, but I don't have to worry about shipping, and if it dies on me, it's much easier to return. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Ther...91599/catOid/-12973/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Edit:Apparently it's not available in stores.

sailer

Splendid
The TT Pure Power is ok, but that's about all. If you don't load it toomuch it should work. Its also not nearly as efficient as the Antec Earthwatts, so what it might save you in purchase price will be spent on higher electric bills.

sailer

Splendid
Using a 8800 GTS for reference, I think it would. You're trying to match an old design CPU with a modern design video card. The card will help, no doubt, but I don't think it will fill its full potential.