2x eVGA Nvidia 8800GTX 768 MB
OCZ GameXStream 850W
2x G.Skill 2GB PC6400 (DDR2-800) RAM
Western Digital Caviar 500 GB 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache
Tuniq Tower 120
Lite-On DVD/CD/DVD-RAM Combo Burner/Reader
2x ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm

vista home 64

I could change the Stacker 830 with a Antec p180 and go ZALMAN RESERATOR 1 Fanless Water Cooling System. Which would be better?

My first build-at-home computer and I need it to be the best it can be under 2800, any suggestions, how far can I overclock it? I want it to be able to go 3.6-3.8 maxed out 12+ hours stable.

First thought is that you might want to wait for the newer nVidia GPU's to come out, especially for the amount of $ that your spending. You could possibly increase your FPS and might be able to get it cheaper than what your spending. Don't know this for sure, but alot of rumors have been looking that way.
Second, I don't think you need 2 Arctic Cooling Freezer 7's for a CPU, unless those are for the GPU's (IDK about this one for sure).

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Lunyone is right:

The Arctic Freezers are for CPU and youll only need one. If you are looking at OCing you can get better performance from others... inc Thermalright ultra 120. Just noticed you have the Tuniq in there which is also nice, drop the 2 Artics you cannot use them
P180 might struggle to fit 2 GTX's in. I know 1 will fit removing the top hard drive cage but not sure on the second.
There is new GPU parts comming although the new NVIDIA shouldnt chanllenge the GTX it should be worth a look. Also if you are able to get eVGA's Step up program that could be worth a look.
Bit hard to tell what you are on about with the RAM 2x2gb? 4x1gb? not sure... if you are getting 4Gb your best with 2x2gb config.
You will be EXTREMELY luck to get the Q6600 to 3.6-3.8 on air 3.0-3.2 is realistic.
Watercooling is usless unless you are spending some big bucks on it and seeing as the Q6600 goes well on air anywayz its not really worth it

Not sure how well this case is, but it's had a review with 2 8800gtx's, so you can decide.

cluboverclocker.com:September 2007
This is one nice mid-tower. While the case has a ton going for it, it could be a little better. There is no removable motherboard tray and the case is made of heavy steel. Those are very small complaints when you look at the case as a whole. A big plus for this case is it will fit 2 8800GTX's in SLI. I have an 8800GTS installed and you can see all of the extra room available. This case is also designed for nice airflow while keeping the noise down. The HDD trays have rubber grommets to eliminate noise causing vibration and the power supply opening is lined with a rubber gasket to do the same. The large 120mm fans will move more air at less RPMs than a 80mm fan. This will also cut your noise level down. Even the large rubber feet will help keep the noise level down. Overall this is a very nice case loaded with features that you'd find on much more expensive cases. Club Overclocker Recommended!

Pictures are here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137&Tpk=cooler%2bmaster%2brc%2b690

I'd buy from here, if you go this way. Not high end, but appears to be good enough for 2 8800gtx's.
Case - $60 shipped - $20 MIR = $40! Can hold 2 8800gtx’s!! What a deal
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Mid Tower Case Retail ***Free Shipping***
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10006342

I'm with chookman on the water cooling issue. I'd stick with an air cooled solution, because it's cheaper and you don't have to spend a bunch to get to 3.2 gig.

weFall

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
Updated:

CoolerMaster Stacker 830
eVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 nVidia 680i SLI LGA775
Q6600
2x eVGA Nvidia 8800GTX 768 MB
OCZ GameXStream 850W
2x G.Skill 2GB (2 x 1) PC6400 (DDR2-800) RAM
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB
Tuniq Tower 120
Lite-On DVD/CD/DVD-RAM Combo Burner/Reader

$2566

Better?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
With 64bit Vista and SLIed GTX id suggest getting 4Gb RAM up to you though
The Raptors may not be worth it anymore, yes they still have superior access times but the burst and sustained read/write speeds arent anything to brag about. Something like two 200-400gb in RAID0 would give you heaps better peformance at equal or less than the price of the raptor.

nukchebi0

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I would highly not recommend getting the GPU's until you know what the new ATI and Nvidia products look like (mid-November, ideally).

Additionally, if you are waiting, get a Wolfdale QX9650 when it comes out in November, and one video card. The processor will last a long time, and the video card performance can be increased when necessary (since one top-notch card can handle anything fine currently), and when you are willing to spend more money. This way, you will get a more efficient quad core that is much more future proofed, while still having great graphics performance. When games do come out that stress the card, you can easily upgrade to meet the needs. It makes no sense to buy two $500 cards when you only need one. If you buy one now at $500, the second could be 200-250 when you actually need to use it.

OP hasn't stated what resolutions that he's going to play at, but I'm with you on the 1 GPU now and another later, if the OP needs it later. I just suggested the better PSU, especially if he wants to add another GPU in the future. The one that he posted will only work on 2 GPU's that only need 1 6 pin connector each. He will be needing 4 of them for the GTX SLI, so that is why I picked the PC&C PSU.

weFall

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
I'll be playing at the nice 1024 x 764, that's really all I need until I get a much nicer screen in the future. I like the idea of the wait...I think I'll do that, get a better processor, stay with one GPU and upgrade as necessary. Is there going to be any big releases January 2008, because I'm willing to wait till then if the hardware will be worth it. I will not be ordering this computer till around December, so I can wait a month.
lunyone I went with that PSU instead. I don't know much about the innards of a computer, so I don't know the whole connector pin thing.

So wait until November, possibly January until the new stuff gets released.

bentley306

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

That resolution won't stress out a single 8800 at all, there is absolutely no reason to get two of them now.

nukchebi0

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
If you wait until January, then you can get another Wolfdale/Yorkfield processor that isn't going to run $1000 (they release the extreme $1000 edition in November, and the others in January. A Q9550 should run $530, and that might allow you to purchase a better screen while still being able to overclock to stock QX9650 performance). I would recommend waiting to January.