8800gt and NV Silencer 5 (Rev. 3)

ZZ--__--ZZ

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
First of all a warm hello to everyone. I'm a long time reader, but this is my first post.

So, I wanted to relay my success in fitting the NV Silencer 5 (Rev. 3) to my eVGA SC 8800gt. Seems to have dropped my idle temps from 50c to 45c and my loads are down from 78c+ to 68c (stock frequencies, using rthdribl and crysis demo).

Now, I have a question about the ambient temperature reported by RivaTuner. Does anyone know what sensor is being read, is it on the card itself? I have noticed the ambient going through the roof under load (apprx. 55c). Has anyone experienced the same high ambient temps on stock cooling. I didn't notice before I made the swap. I find this strange b/c my passive cooled chipset temps stay in the high 30c's and low 40c's under the same load. The reason I ask is that the silencer is a perfect fit on the gpu and vram, but there was some thermal tape on the stock HSF covering a few caps and whatnot at the end of the pcb (about 1/2 inch from the back of the 6pin connector) that are not covered by the silencer's sink.

Any help is appreciated.

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
Gpu 51C
Gpu Memory 51C
Gpu Ambient 48-49C
eVGA SC (o'cd 698/1745/2000)
stock cooling @ 45%

My ambient is usually 2C-3C less
No idea about the sensor

ZZ--__--ZZ

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Ah, thanks for the reply kpo6969. Nice OC btw. I googled around a bit, and I am no longer concerned about the ambient temps. It seems to be that it is the ambient temp of the card's pcb, so that makes some sense to me. I'm sitting idle right now w/

GPU core - 45c
GPU ambient - 38c

Thrilled about the NV silencer's fit tho, was able to pull it right off of my 7800gtx. So a possible solution to others looking for a cooler to put on the 8800gt. At one's own risk as always.