jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
i dont know rather you guys read my forum about superold computer that i got it for free. its hdd is broken so i downloaded linux something, that to boot without hdd. today i burned that cd image, after i press the power button with case open, psu fan ran and on the mobo, there was a light with burning smell. it was on next to the plugs where you plug power button, led and stuff.
now im scared to turn it on. should i throw it away???

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
toss it bro, it may have suffered some damage that you can't account for. Don't risk burning down your home troubleshooting something like that.

Go treat yourself to a mid-range PC when your wife wants a new outfit. Always works.

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
It was your CD was burned or somewhere in the CPU parts?

If the CD that would be normal to old CDRW with no burnproof protection technology.

That is safe, it has fuse inside it normally it wont explode but on rare cases it does. Wahehe, Im not scaring you. But if you ask me, I will find out what caused it so I can learn.

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
oh i heard that some dust can make electricity move through, when i opened that case, little amout of dust flew to that part on the mobo. so should i throw it away??

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Unplug it and don't plug it back in.

If you can learn something from an unplugged PC, go ahead.

If you can smash it to bits with a hammer and still learn something, even better.

An old fire hazard, toss it in a dumpster.

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
lol, smashing....

I think the mobo is dead already. Usually caused by short circuit courtesy of dust particles with conductive properties.

No need to run it again, you cant fixed that anymore. too bad you should cleaned it before using.

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
man... im about to upgrade my new gaming pcs psu and im so soso much scared!! i read some experiences on the internet. they all had problems like me, and the reason was the psu. i am planning to buy a psu that is between 50-75$ and im scared that i will burn my new mobo again?? can that happen?? i hope those psus have fuse protections

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
It wont burn a mobo. PSU dont do that, unless your house was too hot.

For sure not a good ventilation cause some problem on your PC.
In my rig I use stock fan but my casing has 2 side panel fans with direct hit to my board and procie plus an HDD cooler and RAM heatspreader. You will notice good performance even on stocked speed.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
A PSU can most certainly burn/destroy a mobo. A cheap one probably will, sooner or later, even if you make no mistakes.

Edit: If the heat in your house did it, it would probably have to be on fire. As was surmised, the board probably suffered its demise unrelated to the PSU.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Yeah, and your house temp has nothing to do with anything, unless it is really hot and you have a garbage case and HS and your OCing.