Changing Vcore

jefbystereo

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
I have been reading a lot of info lately since this is my first overclock. I am trying to squeeze the last bit out of of my old socket 754 and hopefully break 6000 3d marks.

I think I have the process down, but when I try to modify the vcore, nothing seems to change. I have a foxconn NF4K8AB that I got cheap to replace a dead motherboard. It has award bios, with "X-Bios II" for overclocking. In it, there are adjustments for voltages, and one called "CPU voltage regulator". It has settings of auto, and many voltages.

When I change it to a voltage such as 1.55V (my chip is 1.5 stock) and then boot into windows and use cpu-z and speed fan, both programs indicate that I am getting 1.48v-the same value that I was getting stock. This leads me to believe that whatever I am doing is not altering the voltage any, but there dont seem to be any other cpu voltage related settings in the bios. Where am I going wrong?

Moondrinker

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Hi lad.

I'm new at overclocking too, but something i noticed is that there is a power saving option that "downclock" your CPU when it's in idle. I woukd suggest that you tried it under CPU load. If you are not happy with the setting i can help you switch off the power saving option, though many will recommend that you have it turned on since you not only increase the livespan of your CPU but also save you money.

Best regards - Moondrinker