MotherBoard for Gaming / Overclocking with Water Cooling / WorkStation

speed6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Hey guys, i am looking for the best motherboard out there which can accept the new Intel Xtreme 45nm Processor with 12Mb Cache + also in stages i.e.

1st Will be used for Gaming
2nd Very good for overclocking as i want to beat the #@$% out of the processor :) with water cooling
3rd Good for Graphic design.

Now i thought of going for the nforce MCP 780i becasue of the compatabilty with the new intel's 45nm proc + SLI tech, even though i really like the ABIT 680i version can't remeber the name exactly.
Which one do you suggest? I saw XFX and EVGA are doing the 780i motherboard and i also know that tthe two of them do great graphics cards, but don't know naything about their motherboard buillt and performance quality

thanks for looking

h2ocaver

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
First I will say that I am relatively new to OC'n, but I do know customer service when I get it. I have a 680i board and just ordered a 780i -bith from EVGA. I broke my EVGA 680i-totally my fault and I even told them that it was my fault. The gave me a one time RMA-EVEN THOUGH it was my fault. So I shipped it of andThen bought a EVGA 780i board to build another computer. I also have the EVGA G92 GTS's in SLI, I am REALLY happy with them. The EVGA people were REALLY nice on the phone and even helped me register the products because I forgot to do that when I got them. The phone and email messages were nearly instantly replied to and very helpful. EVGA step up program-what more can u ask?? So if it sound like I am kissing thier AS*, then I am but they basically gave me $250 worth of customer service. As far as the mobos go, you half to love the fact that there are so many people that have them-it is very easy to get help with OC, even tho I was able to get my e6850 to over 4.1 ghz on air for my FIRST EVER shot at OC'ing.
The video cards are VERY solid construction. So there is my testimonial for EVGA.

The 680i is a little cheaper and will do whatever you want, the 780i is ready for the new cpus and has pciexpress 2.0.
One more thing to think about, if you go with one manufacturer on the stuff you are going to mess with (fsb, vcore....etc and GPU's) it prolly will be easier if you need to contact the vendor because they will be able to help with the all the parts in one call., good luck and post up what you decide on. -EZ

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Go with Skulltrail.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/06/intel_skulltrail_part_1/

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/07/intel_skulltrail_part_2/

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/08/intel_skulltrail_part_3/

h2ocaver

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
I have read that some people don't care for the nforce tuning tool, but I(a total n00b) was suprised how easy it was to use. If he wants to game and OC and use SLI then u gotta go with a 680i or 780i. I think, from my revcent conversations with the EVGA people, that the 790 is going to much later this year at the earliest. Maybe we will see it for Christmas '08--MAYBE--.
With the ease of use and excellent build quality AND the vast user info available the 680i with a bios update seems like the best $/performance. Maybe I am wrong, please let me know.