What safeguard do i need to take to build my new PC?

blacknight

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2004
Hello,
Please help me to go through my new build. I saw step by step guide to put new system togeather earlier at this forum. I can't find it again. Please advice me what safeguard should i need to take to put my new pc togeather. I will receive my stuff today and can't wait. but, first i would learn some tips from you all expert who have put system togeather before. Here is my hardware list.

Case - Antec 900
PSU - Antec TRio 550 W
MB - GA-p35-DS4 Rev2.0
CPU - Intel Core 2 duo 6400
Mem - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Video card -VGA XFX PVT84JUDD3 8600GT 256MB R
HD - ST3500630AS -- 500 GB

Thanks a lot in advance...

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I would mount your CPU and fan while outside your case, like on the box that your motherboard came with, or on a phone book.

Use some good quality thermal compound, like Arctic Silver.

Read through you motherboard manual, especially section that details the connections. Make sure you get all the required power connections.

Try to avoid situations that create static. Don't assemble it on the carpet. Do it on a computer desk, or kitchen counter. I usually don't wear a sweatshirt while I am working at the component level.

Your video card may also require a separate power connection.

When it's complete and your OS is loaded, I would run it for a bit to test stability before installing any other apps. If you know it runs stable before installing any apps, this help narrow down any future issues (if they come up).

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Between the CPU and the heat sink.

If your heat sink comes with thermal compound of some kind, then you can use that if you would like. I always use Arctic Sliver though.

Here is their instructions. There are all kinds of tutorials on the web if you search for them.

KekaiGenkai

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
A lot of building tutorials recommend that you buy a grounding strap to attach to your wrist. I didn't use one when I built mine, but I was careful to discharge any static by touching raw metal during the build. Does anyone know if these grounding straps are really useful, or even necessary if you're being careful? I also took care to lay pcb's on anti-static bags while not handling them.

I found that having some zip-ties or twisty-ties handy helped while assembling, just to keep wires looking neat.

There are some programs that test for stability (ie sisoft sandra) which might be useful to use after you're finished. Sandra has a burn-in program that works great and ensures that you won't run into unexpected problems while working on your economics paper two hours before it's due.

blacknight

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2004
I just received my stuff from newegg. I got anti static Plastic cover and ready for my build. I think my CPU came with cooler and thermal pad and I have decided not use Artic paste.

Any suggestions on loading software and build?

Thx.